back labor and the flu? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I really tried not to get DH's flu. and I failed and feel about as horrendous as I have felt in years--fever, chills, sore throat, nasty cough that feels like bits of glass, headache-- the works. It sucks more than I can quite describe...and then there is this body ache thing---started with aching joints and low back pain, but now I am getting confused/concerned. I have been having some stronger contractions (albeit fairly irregular but I am sortof not keeping good track). The back pain won't stop-- no real break and it runs down my legs so that I can't lie still or rest. Then the contractions come and go....so how do I tell what is what? Are these the ongoing contractions I have been having for weeks just made more intense by flu pain or is something more going on? I don't want to deliver when DH and I both have the flu.
#2 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone... I'm actually 40 +5 today, and I've picked up the flu that my kids started with on Friday. It's miserable - and so upsetting to think I could have to go through labor feeling this way. If it's any consolation, I'd say that I've had more contractions over the last few days, but no show/rom so I'm just hoping my body holds out a little bit longer. And I certainly don't want to bring a baby home to a house full of sick people. What bad timing, right? The second night my fever caused me to have chills really bad. The chills seemed to cause contractions - it was weird. Anyway, hang in there. Let's just both hope that our bodies heal quickly and we can put this behind us. Good luck.

Tara
#3 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM

I don't know how to help, but do your best to stay very hydrated...hopefully that will cut down on BH.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#4 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Hope you're feeling better soon!

gerlassie
#5 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 AM

sick+pregnant=not fun
I am sick, too. don't know if it is the flu, per se, but everyday I go to bed thinking that it can't get worse and I wake up the next morning feeling worse. I have a lot of the same symptoms that you describe, including the lower back pain. I'm hoping it gets better before labor comes. Maybe I'll be better enough to pass antibodies for this nastiness through my milk? I'm not sure how that whole thing works, though.
#6 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 AM

double post
#7 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM

I'm so sorry you mamas are sick! No advice, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping you feel better very very soon!

Kathy, Homeschooling, Homebirthing, Semi-crunchy mother of four
#8 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM

I couldn't NOT send some love your way mamas. Being sick is no fun, sick and pregnant is a nightmare, sick, pregnant AND in labor....ug.

Lots of hydration, stay away from dairy, hot tea, lots of rest - lying on your left side if you can - and know we're thinking of you.

::
#9 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM

When are you due? Remember my colds theory of gestation planning? (could you go another 3 weeks if the ctx stop?)
It sounds like you're sick enough that your body will know that this is a bad time for baby-having. Famous last words, probably, but still. I hope everything calms down for you soon, and go get some rest

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 12:06 PM

i had intense lower back pain with dd, but there was a pattern to it when i was in labor, just like with uterine contractions. hth! get well mama.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#11 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM

I would seriously try to treat your cough, then things might mellow out. My midwife had me drink lemon ginger tea, and also told me there are really good articles out there that say dark chocolate is better at controlling coughs than cough drops. Mind it has to be 70-85% cocoa. I really hope you feel better soon.
#12 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas. taralv, keep me posted as to how you are doing-- you are way further along than me (I'm just 37.5 wks)...at least we know something has to give sooner or later...the contractions aren't speeding up after 15 hours, so I am going to proceed with the hope that real progressive labor is not taking place. I'm so tired but I can't rest! hopefully body and baby know to wait a bit more.
#13 of 13 Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM

my sympathies to you ill mammas. i don't know much about what is what with the contractions but i wanted to agree with one of the other postings about your body knowing it is ill and holding off. I read an article about it not long ago (sorry i cant remember where is saw it, not very helpful i know). It said that the best thing to do is to keep hydrated and take some bug busting natural supplements to help your body get over the flu asap. Some of these are not ok to take while pregnant so check the labels carefully. One that i know is ok as i gave it to my baby when he was ill and i took it while i was breast feeding is Black elderberry. it helps the immune system while fighting the bug. It has many of the same qualities of echinachea but is safe for little ones.
The lemon tea is also great.
I hope you get better and that everything goes well with your labour and baby. Good luck and get well soon!
kate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page