Babies! (A thread for 'outies') - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Jenn

You have been through a hell of a lot. The time that you should have spent recovering from pregnancy and birth has been given over to keeping your family together, as well as Alex-wrangling, and at some point something's got to give, y'know? That is, something ELSE, something other than your mental health.
Hah, listen to me. You'd almost think I knew what I was talking about or was doing it myself, wouldn't you? : Bad day here too, and it's only 9am.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#122 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM

We are finally done with the twice weekly peds visit now that Natalie is back to her birth weight. Her jaundice is a lot better, too. I think she has started her two week nursing surge because the kid just cannot get enough. Last night she wanted to nurse every two hours , plus she is stuffy from a cold that I suspect was from the dr's office. So I am functioning on the usual couple hours sleep again today. I just don't handle fatigue very well.
#123 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

I'm finally feeling like I have just enough time to jump in on this thread. Things are great here, considering all the crap we've been through since Twyla was born 2 weeks ago- furnace dying, fuel lines leaking on my van, and now my insanely dislocated pelvis. Surprisingly, I am not freaking out about how we're paying for all of this. I felt a bit down last night after finding out how severe the SPD had gotten, but I'm over it, and just feeling totally zen.

Twyla is nursing great, and my nipple soreness is gone. She is filling out some- her skin on her legs doesn't look so baggy anymore. I think she may even have a tiny bit of fat under there now! She has smiled at us just about every day since she was born, and one night she even chuckled in her sleep with a huge grin on her face. It was so obviously a laugh that I had to wonder what she was dreaming about, and even more so, what is funny to a baby that young?! The last three days we have started leaving her diaperless in an attempt to figure out her patterns and signals with elimination. So far, I'm not seeing much of a pattern, and she even poops from a dead sleep. Don't know how I'm supposed to see that coming, but I guess time will tell!
#124 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Hey everyone. I'm going to jump into this thread too. We are adjusting pretty well here, everything getting back to normal. The IL left (they are helpful so welcome to stay after baby comes, they let me just sit & nurse and take care of everything else) so it's an adjustment. Dh has been back to work since day 2 or 3, so I'm on my own here getting 3 kids out in the morning (and dragging the 4th along) and picking up, etc. Thankfully we have meals coming from the neighborhood for the next 2 weeks or so, so that's a load off. Also MIL left the house spotless, no dirty laundry, etc. I'll try to catch up with the thread, but no promises I'll be able to read the last few pages. You are a chatty bunch :

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#125 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM

great pic

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#126 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM

calebsmama, that's a funny one!

Hugs to all of us new mamas adjusting and getting to know our babes.

Thanks for the night nursing advice, all. We actually had a dr.'s appt. yesterday, and the dr. said to wake him after 4 hours. Well, obviously Peter heard and decided to obey, because he woke every 4 hours last night! I'm glad he's waking by himself more now; he always eats soooo much better when he initiates nursing. The yellowish cast is definately going away.

We ran out to the mall today to get jeans for dh and ds1, so Peter and I tried out the Moby wrap for the first time. I really liked it, especially for nursing. I can't believe how great I feel for being 9 days pp. No soreness in the vaginal area or the nipples...this is the best I've ever felt after having a baby! One of my friends is having a "pajama party" this week and I think Peter and I are going to swing by for a bit. I can't wait to start getting out more!

Ds2 is in love with his new brother, but we're definately seeing more whining and tantrums. I've been trying to have dh take Peter often so that I can spend more one-on-one time with him. Having 4 kids feels more like having 50 right now!

A happy woman
#127 of 342 Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Where has time gone??? Eli was a month old yesterday. Everyday I love in love more and more with him. It's amazing that two people can create another person. He's a really good baby and likes to sleep, eat, and repeat. I'm also glad all my aprehension about nursing was really unfounded. Eli seemed to know what to do from the moment he was born which made it so easy!! Aside from my cloth diapering issue in my other post life with a new baby is going very well. His sister loves him to pieces even when he's crying and shes trying to watch Hannah Montana. Dad is totally in love with him and that is incrediably sexy.

My post partum visit was yesterday and dr said I looked great. No hanky panky for another two weeks as there is still one suture hanging on. No big deal not sure I have the energy anyways.

Here's a picture of my growing baby boy

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...8/DSCN0662.jpg

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#128 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 AM

Heather he's adorable!

#129 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM

Heather, what a cutie! I can not believe he is 1 month either! The time goes so fast, I am really trying to savor every second.

CalebsMama05, I love that picture!

We are doing pretty well here. Audrey had her 2 week weight check today and went from 6-13 on day 2 to 8-3 on day 14! She is nursing like a little pro and such a delight!

My 2 year old started potty training right after Audrey was born and is doing fantastic! It has been so easy, too easy! He is wearing diapers at night, but really doing well during the day.

My 5 year old is making me crazy! He will not mind me and is constantly challenging everything I say to him...he is also fighting like crazy with DD1. I wish the two of them would just get along. The days are very peaceful until they get home from school, and they start on each other. By the end of the night I am so sick of yelling at the two of them....I sometimes feel like I never have any quality time with either of them, all of our time together is spent refereeing the fights. I am really trying to get this to change, but I am not sure what to do!
#130 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Ds2 is in love with his new brother, but we're definately seeing more whining and tantrums. I've been trying to have dh take Peter often so that I can spend more one-on-one time with him. Having 4 kids feels more like having 50 right now!
: Especially with the toddler. I had to go buy more rescure remedy today, we've got through a large bottle in just under a month.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#131 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM

I should have kept my mouth shut about feeling great even though we've had a lot of stressful things happening. Obviously the universe is still out to get me. My mom took my two older kids to the store in my van so we didn't have to move booster seats, and on the way home, it crapped out. They had to get it towed and get a ride home from the wrecker. It looks so far like the axle broke. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the transmission (it wouldn't stay in park), because then we'll just need to buy a new vehicle. This one has 196,000 miles on it, and I don't think paying for such a large repair would be the best idea. So now my midwife is going to come take me to the chiro today, and her son is going to watch the older kids. I hate having to ask for help, but I am so thankful that I have people who are willing to step in and offer. Maybe this will be the last in this string of bad luck. :
#132 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

applecore-

my milk came in...ds2 is in boobie heaven. he takes in SO much more than DD.

whenever Jake nurses it is always at the same time as DD and so far i'm not creeped out or anything so I'm glad about that. I thought I may feel weird nursing my huge toddler after nursing a newborn again but it doesn't feel weird at all.

#133 of 342 Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

s Applecore - I swear we are being tested or something, too many of us are have all of these horrendous things happening. Things are just getting back to normal here. Michael is still reeling from all of the tumult of last week and after becoming hysterical on the way to the bus this morning and finding out he stayed that way almost the whole trip to school , something has to be done. I'm hoping my sister can come over tonight just to visit Michael. I was planning on leaving the baby with my husband tomorrow for my postpartum OB visit, but I think him having some one-on-one time with Michael is more important and I'll be sure to have the sling with me - it may not be complete alone time for me but as long as Alex sleeps in the sling I can get some knitting done after my appointment. I've already made plans to take him to see one of my girlfriends and her 3 year-old on Friday and there will be a trip on Saturday or Sunday to Nana's house as well.

I'm really hoping that we can help him feel more secure - it's just been so hard with plague and everything else. We've fallen into this vicious cycle of "any" attention being good attention and it just feeds off itself. Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things physically, I know we'll be able to have a better schedule that will include more "Michael" things in it like trips to his friends and to the park.

Of course the main reason I have the mental energy to focus on him right now is because I actually got out of the house last night for a few hours. Listening to my ipod with the volume cranked up on my way to my knitting circle was just what the doctor ordered. My husband survived the night and although it wasn't the best thing for Michael, now that I've gotten out I can get into that zen state much easier and can respond to his incessant "why's" without snapping.

We definitely got some smiles from Alex this morning I can't believe he's 5 weeks old. This is definitely the most wonderful and the hardest thing I've ever done, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Both of them are actually asleep so I have to eat lunch, do diaper laundry and start Michael's felted Easter basket (a mobius basket a la Cat Bordhi). Realistically, I should be sleeping in there with them, but I really have too much to do and I want Easter to be special for Michael this year. TTFN!
#134 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think I"m doing all right. Feeling a lot better. Only a few more days of antibiotics, and then we can nurse. :

I was going to ask Mike to take Bean to blended program tomorrow, and to go look for jobs afterwards... but i didn't have to! He asked all by himself!!! I was half shocked, it was a nice surprise. I'm not looking forward to spending the day with three kids and no vehicle, but things could be worse.

My neck hurts, I could totally use a massage... and I'm feeling eerily lonely. The world is still surreal to me. Life in general is better, though; At least it is physically. I'm very eager to move, and for Mike to get a job, but one thing at a time, right?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#135 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Rynna-yay for the abx being almost over!

I hear you on everything being surreal...its almost like everything is completely different but not you know?

#136 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 AM

Jenn, glad that you were able to get out of the house! It is so helpful to have a little time to yourself, when you return to the nest you are able to focus so much better on the kids! My outlet is to go to the gym with my friend. Now I have been taking it easy, but will be getting back to it next week. I just need the 45 minutes for my sanity!

Rynna, I am so glad that you are almost done with the abx. You will start to feel so much better I am sure! Especially once you are able to nurse your little one!

I was able to do a big grocery shop today (we needed it so badly!). I made it out with my 2 year old and the baby. I felt good that I was able to do it! My DH goes back to work next Tuesday and I am feeling blue about that. I sure hope I can handle 4 kids on my own!

I can not believe how quickly these first 2 weeks of Audreys life have gone. I just want her to stay a little infant forever!
#137 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 AM

Jenn-how'd I miss your post? we are sliding into that with Caleb and Jacob...I try to give them positive attention but it is hard to do when Katie is still so little and nursing so much. with Jake I just hook him right on but Caleb gets into a snit...he doesn't WANT to snuggle while I have Katie...he always wants me to put her in the swing and then snuggle I hope you can get things on track with your lil man.

Mama-I'm going to the store tomorrow...just for milk and some easier foods. I've got the stuff to make tacos, spaghetti, and chicken and noodles and I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes without taking a 45minute break afterwards! try to rest up before dh goes back to work, I can't imagine having 4 kids, my 3 drive me nuts daily!

#138 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 AM

I'm glad you got out last night, Jenn. I was thinking of you.

Still here, still blah. I keep on telling myself that the next catastrophe is going to be the one that pushes me into full-fledged PPD, and then it hits and I'm still standing. I guess I'm tougher than I thought...

#139 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 AM

I've been put in my place. It's almost 4 and I still haven't been to bed yet.

The day was going great - I got so much done while they were napping and made a point to get Michael's afternoon snack set up while they were sleeping so he wouldn't have to wait until I was done nursing Alex to have something to eat. I managed to get Alex back to sleep at 6.30 and got to give Michael my undivided attention for the rest of the evening which I know he loved. I got Alex up at 9 with the hopes of getting him back to bed about 11 which has been our normal MO, but he's not having anything to do with it. I'm hoping he'll stay asleep this time - every time he's out of arms he wakes back up. I'm pretty sure it was the big stretch of sleep he had that threw everything off - it's done it before. That'll teach me

s Helen - here's hoping that crisis steer clear of you and yours. Did you get your placenta capsules, are they helping at all?
#140 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM

They're on day 5 of succussing and dilating (spelling?)- you know how homoeopathics have no actual stuff in them? Well, my placenta is in that process now. I think the general "how long until I break?"ness is partly down to silly season. I'd never realised that children were sensitive to seismic vibrations but I've had three days of hell with an earthquake smack bang in the middle- can't be a coincidence. The rest of it is just me still not looking after myself right.

#141 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM

I have been uber engorged. trying to just deal with it.

I used ds2 (who was thrilled with the job) to completely empty both breasts this morning after dd nursed herself into insensibility

#142 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
I have been uber engorged. trying to just deal with it.

I used ds2 (who was thrilled with the job) to completely empty both breasts this morning after dd nursed herself into insensibility
I loved those days... I was only briefly engorged with BooBah because Bean would just drain the boobs in no time flat. When Bella was tiny, BooBah had stopped nursing but if ever I was too full Bean would be happy to help out. When my milk came in, I was pumping exclusively for Bella (Princess Krappilatch was drinking from a fingerfeeder) and Bean was the best supply equipment I could have asked for. I'm kind of disappointed that the kids aren't nursing now. It'll just be me and Bear. :

#143 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I loved those days... I was only briefly engorged with BooBah because Bean would just drain the boobs in no time flat. When Bella was tiny, BooBah had stopped nursing but if ever I was too full Bean would be happy to help out. When my milk came in, I was pumping exclusively for Bella (Princess Krappilatch was drinking from a fingerfeeder) and Bean was the best supply equipment I could have asked for. I'm kind of disappointed that the kids aren't nursing now. It'll just be me and Bear. :
I think my engorgement is GONE! I was engorged for an entire month with Caleb, and a lot closer to two with Jacob.

after he drained me my boobs have gotten a bit on the full side (I do have oversupply and overactive letdown) but not that really hard overfull god I just want to cut these off kind of engorged

Jake is in mama milk heaven...he says thank you every time he nurses and grins and goes on and on about (I'm guessing) how yummy and plentiful the milk is

question for those who are or have tandem nursed...I just changed Jake's diaper and he's got the bf poop again (which I expected) but he also had a rash...is that because of the poop or because he likely pooped at last half an hour before I managed to catch a whif of it? I'm going to have to keep a better eye on him

meant to say: Rynna-I love tandem nursing...I'm so thrilled that Jake doesn't seem to have any problems with Katie nursing as well. in fact he seems to just adore nursing with her

#144 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
question for those who are or have tandem nursed...I just changed Jake's diaper and he's got the bf poop again (which I expected) but he also had a rash...is that because of the poop or because he likely pooped at last half an hour before I managed to catch a whif of it? I'm going to have to keep a better eye on him
Could be either; With Bean, it was thrush (so, neither ). If you can do it, try a cloth diaper with no cover or with something *very* breathable (i.e. a pair of knitted longies) over it. Fresh air will help regardless, and if it's from the failure to catch a whiff the rash should go away quickly.

Quote:
meant to say: Rynna-I love tandem nursing...I'm so thrilled that Jake doesn't seem to have any problems with Katie nursing as well. in fact he seems to just adore nursing with her
So cute!

In other news... I"m loading pictures right now! It'll be a few minutes, but I'll link them in my sig. :

#145 of 342 Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Pictures from the birth of Bear!

So sweet

#146 of 342 Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 AM

Please deliver me from the special hell that is a growth spurt.
#147 of 342 Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
Please deliver me from the special hell that is a growth spurt.

Rynna-thanks, I'm going to go ahead and put him in flats with no covers..my landlord FINALLY got our washer and dryer hooked up so I'm THRILLED to stop using sposies

#148 of 342 Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 AM

to all, with broken bottoms and starving hungry babies (though they only ate 5 minutes ago) and all. Cute pictures, Rynna

I have a horrible tummy bug and I can't keep anything down- anyone got coping strategies? I know some of you have had this already...

#149 of 342 Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 AM

Katie woke up an hour ago...and has been nursing since then

#150 of 342 Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 AM

oh Helen - no words of wisdom on coping other than spoonfuls of flat ginger ale and saltines. Try to take care of yourself - GI stuff is the worst. Rynna, the pics are great and you look wonderful. I wrote Alex's birth story the other day, I just want to go over it with my husband to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

After both of us being awake for nearly 24 hours we finally managed to break the cycle and get a solid chunk of sleep and I can nurse lying down now - amazing what sleep deprivation can spur you to do. I had my pp OB visit and Alex's WBV thurs so I did way too much - prob walked a good 2-3 miles all told, not the best of ideas on next to no sleep. Alex is finally over his birth weight - 10lbs 5 oz, he gained just shy of a pound in 17 days, and I'm amazed that it's just from me. As hard as the growth spurts are on both of us, I have to say I'm loving EBF. NIP is getting easier too - we nursed at my OB's office and at the ped's office this afternoon. I can manage a cross-cradle hold now which definitely makes NIP easier. I'm hoping with some breast support we'll be able to do a regular cradle hold, then we'll be golden.

Things are much better with Michael - all of the special attention is really paying off. There was some whining on the way to the bus Thurs but no tears. After we get some sleep, I'm packing us up to head into town for me to see my friend and Michael to play with her daughter.

Alex seems to be in a good, deep sleep now so I'm off to bed myself. TTFN!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page