Rosemary Joan is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My, I am going to have some serious catching up to do on the Birth Announcements thread! But in the mean time, we have been blessed with the birth of our little girl, Rosemary Joan
Born Friday, 2/15 at 11:55 am
6lb., 9 oz
21" long
Pictures

I'd had I guess early labor signs starting Wednesday evening, the mildest of menstrual-type cramps. These abated Wednesday during the night, but started back up again on Thursday and continued on and off all day, accompanied by increased mucous tinged very faintly with blood. By the time I went to bed Thursday night around 10:30, I was pretty sure baby was coming during the weekend sometime, and did some last-minute packing.

Sure enough, I was woken at 1:58 am by my first real contraction (or at least recognizable one). I wasn't sure at first if it was a contraction, or gas, or constipation, but it definitely had a desired effect of starting to clear out my plumbing! This was followed by another one about 25 minutes later, and then another maybe 20 minutes later. I don't exactly remember, but I believe all of these were accompanied by bloody show.

They say red-heads bleed more; I'm here to tell you it is not a myth!

However - by about 3:30 the contractions were 10 minutes apart, and I put in the first call to the dr's office. She said it was definite early labor, but early labor, and to hang out at home for at least another hour. DH was up with me, helping me manage the contractions. I was on my hands & knees for most of them, knowing also that Baby had a tendency to be ROP and I wanted nothing to do with a sunny-side up delivery! Coincidentally, it was also the most comfortable position.

DH had the brilliant idea for me to kneel on the brand-new, unused memory-foam dogbed that we had just purchased. Very comfortable! By 5am, my contractions were 5 minutes apart. Call #2 to dr. She suggested that we could wait, but I felt that things were progressing fairly quickly, and was concerned that waiting too much longer would make for an uncomfortable car-ride to the hospital (40-minute drive=8 contractions, totally do-able!). We took our time loading up, I did some last attempts at house-cleaning since I knew we had dog-sitters coming over later in the day, and off we went!

I guess I was doing pretty well with the pain, and DH was being a fabulous coach, helping me focus. I was definitely tired on the way to the hospital, and starting to fall asleep between contractions. I could tell they were getting closer together on the drive. Not timing, but they were definitely starting to feel a bit relentless.

Got to the hospital by 7:30 am. We went right into what would be our birthing room, with fabulous views out over the city and the Adirondacks. The nurse who was to be our nurse for the duration was very carefully balancing her observations about where I was at, with trying not to get my hopes up that I was making great progress - because no one knows until they could check me.

Turns out I was 6cm and 90% effaced - whoo hoo! The nurse and the resident who checked me said that I would have a baby during daylight; I said, "by noon?"

It becomes a bit blurry from there. By 10 am, 2nd check, I was 7cm. They were all very encouraging and said that was great progress. I felt a little, "that's it??" I was managing the pain really well - continuing to work on all 4s most of the time. Had spent maybe 15 minutes in the tub, but it wasn't really big enough to maneuver in, plus was hard on my knees. Everyone was very concerned about my arms getting tired, but even now they seem to be fine. Kind of funny.

Anyways, the contractions continued to vary in duration, distance, and intensity, but I knew they were doing their work. The doc who was on call was amazing, and finally around 11 encouraged me to try the tub. I had been having a few contractions periodically that had trouble focusing through, and she really wanted me to keep from going into that panic/pain mode. In fact, she darn-near insisted that I get in the tub, despite my resistance and attachment to being on all fours on the bed.

Into the tub I went, asking her how I would know pushing-time when it came, etc. Water broke with my first contraction in the tub, and by the second one, I was saying, "I have to push. I really, really have to push." She checked and I was more than 9 cm but still with a little anterior lip. At which point, she laughed and said that, ironically, she would recommend back to hands and knees. One more contraction in the tub and I decided I'd rather be on the bed than in the water.

I got out of the tub by 11:30, pushed for 25 minutes, and out came baby! Pushing was, for me, the most rewarding part. What an intense sensation. I had trouble getting my head around it at first, but then remembered what a friend of mine had said - it's like taking the biggest poop of your life. Bingo - and we were off to the races!

We are absolutely in love with our little girl, and enjoying a few days at home by ourselves before the influx of family caregivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM

What a beautiful story! Congrats on a wonderful birth and happy babymooning. Don't worry about the Birth Announcement thread, it'll get done - enjoy your babymooning .
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM

OOH slgt! Congrats!!: How wonderful! Welcome little Rosemary!

signature currently in transition
Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 PM

Congratulations!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM

congrats!! it sounds like everything was great! she's a cutie!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 PM

Hooray!! My goodness, it's a week for girls apparently! I love, love, love the name and she is gorgeous!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Congrats!! :

Does your little girl have the red hair too? I'm wondering if ours will get my red hair?!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM

congrats!!! I DYED when I read the big poop part that is sooo true! When I told dh that he was tickeled to death!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:01 AM

Wow!! What a beautiful birth story!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Congrats and welcome to baby Rosemary!

P.S. Thanks for all your hard work on the announcements thread! Don't worry about it for a while, take TONS of time before you even think about going back to it!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 AM

Welcome, Rosemary : & CONGRATS, mama! Great birth story, & what a little love
Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 AM

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Congrats to you! Hooray, great story!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Totally awesome! Congrats!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

gerlassie
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM

wonderful story, congratulations!!! Way to listen to your body
Welcome to the world little one, she's beautiful!!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Dea

YAY baby! many congrats!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 AM

Congratulations!!!
What a wonderful birth story & what a sweet little baby Rosemary is!!!

Stacy
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 AM

beautiful baby! Very true about the biggest poop part! That's awesome you only pushed for 25 minutes with your first baby!!!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 AM

congrats, my look alike!!! i am so stoked for you. i had been reading your blog. super duper congrats to you!!!

now, the scary part is that DH loves the name Rosa so things may start to get spooky if we name our kids similar names! someone from my NOV 05 DDC and I have the same named babe. I had my girl Ezra at the beginning of the month and she had her boy at the end. it's fun though seeing my kid's name in the DDC with her but we don't have anyone in our daily life with the name ezra!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 AM

I can'y believe I haven't wished Miss Rosemary a happy b-day yet! SO : Miss Rosemary beautiful birth story mama, congratulations!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 AM

She is so cute. Thanks for sharking your birth story. I love reading them all.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Beautiful mama!! congratulations

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM

She gorgeous!! Congratulations!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.

User Tag List