Tandem nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my newborn and 27 month old DD. Anyone else? How's it going?

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#2 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM

not me.
I weaned my 2.5yo a few months back, but she talks about wanting to nurse again once the baby is here and is nursing. I can remember wanting to tandem nurse with baby #1 and #2, but I ended up weaning him before baby #2 was born. But this time around, I just don't feel like I want to tandem nurse. I don't want to hurt my daughter's feelings though...it looks like I might be able to distract her with some chocolate milk. I know many like to tandem nurse, and like I said, at one point I wanted to also, but it just seems overwhelming to me this time around. I know that wasn't really your question, but I thought I'd answer anyway.
#3 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Ish. Skye is asking for booby, but still latching on and straight off again She's really not loving this whole newborn thing...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 22 Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM

For the first time in years, I'm not tandem nursing (not that it would be an option right now anyway . Bella has expressed no interest in nursing whatsoever. On the other hand, I'm relieved to know that it was not exclusively tandem nursing which was responsible for the smooth introductions of BooBah and Bella to the family-- the kids are all three absolutely taken with Bear. I did worry about that a bit- I always felt that tandem nursing had played a huge role in the whole new sibling thing. Turns out, I'm just lucky.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 AM

I am not looking forward to this...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#6 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05 View Post
I am not looking forward to this...
any particular reason? i loved tandem nursing...

#7 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
any particular reason? i loved tandem nursing...
not tandem nursing in particular...I never look forward to the first few weeks of nursing a new baby

but with Jake he is just soooo aggressive anymore and I cringe to think of nursing him with my new baby nursing sore nipples

BUT there may be hope the last few days he seems to understand that it hurts and he should be more gentle. He's such a sweetie

#8 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

The Rules of the Nursie came about during my second pregnancy. Nursing had become a huge PITA, and was getting to be a chore for myself and for BeanBean. The Rules of the Nursie helped a great deal.

1. Ask nicely-- May I please have a nursie?
2. Be gentle.
3. No biting.
4. No popping off.

#9 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
The Rules of the Nursie came about during my second pregnancy. Nursing had become a huge PITA, and was getting to be a chore for myself and for BeanBean. The Rules of the Nursie helped a great deal.

1. Ask nicely-- May I please have a nursie?
2. Be gentle.
3. No biting.
4. No popping off.
we follow those rules to a point...he can't ask "can I please have a nursie" but I do the 3 strikes you are out rule...I give him three chances to ease up on the top (teeth) and after the 3rd unlatching that's it. he is at *that* age (you know the magical one) where all of a sudden he understands a lot more than he used to. I am hoping it continues after Katie's born...

#10 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Me. Its going ok. I've only actually nursed them both simultaneously once or twice when dh was at school and I was trying to get ds to bed and shush a howling newborn at the same time. Extended nursing came in DARN handy this weekend when ds suffered a huge laceration on his scalp in an unfortunate accident. Nursing was the only thing that calmed him down while we waited for the ambulance and again later, kept him still when they strapped him down and stapled his wound closed. I was reminded during our whole experience how thankful I was to be nursing!! Not only did I not have to worry about having enough food packed for our newborn baby during an unexpected hospital stay, but when ds started crying for dinner (after going over 8 hours without eating) and the hospital cafeteria was closed, I was able to nurse him to help take the edge off until we could get some food!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#11 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM

mama...that must have been awful!

#12 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Yep, we were almost triandem nursing.. but my 4.5 year old weaned herself the day we had the baby. She said she's a big girl now and doesn't need nummies. I am still in shock. Happy shock. I'm so glad she got to wean herself. But I honestly expected her to take them to college. She was VERY resistant to weaning before.

So now its just the little guy, and my 2 year old that are nursing. Its going very well.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#13 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM

i am nursing my 29 mo old yet, usually first thing in the morning, to sleep for nap, and sometimes before bed at night. it's going fine. he;s been a big help w/engorgement and plugged ducts.
#14 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM

My 27 month old weaned last month. I think DH told him to wean, wasn't me, because when I offered he would say "no too big now". And when I told DH he said "good that's my boy". So I am hoping that he wants to nurse again once he sees the baby nurse...

we will see!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#15 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Not there yet, but will be soon! my ds, who turned 5 last month planned to quit then. But the night before his birthday we talked about it and he decided he wasn't ready. I feel nervous about the technical side of it - just how do you nurse a 5 yrold and a new born?!
But also grateful I can

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
#16 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
I'm nursing my newborn and 27 month old DD. Anyone else? How's it going?
hey, i have a 27 month old, too!!!

she's pretty much weaned but i can see her nursing, again once this babe is born! i'll log back on to read up more after the babe is born and let you all know...may need some tips!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#17 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM

I weaned DD as we hit 2nd trimester, as it hurt like hell to nurse and I felt like I was crawling in my skin during what used to be a blissful and mutually enjoyable thing.

Since I leak for the first 3 months of nursing, I've taken to collecting the excess in a cup and giving it to--you guessed--DD to drink. So that counts as tandem nursing in a way, no :? Even if it's a grand total of 4 oz spread in 1 oz servings through out the day? Sure beats having lots of soaked nursing bras and clothing, towels etc to absorb all that liquid gold!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#18 of 22 Old 02-19-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixMom View Post
I weaned DD as we hit 2nd trimester, as it hurt like hell to nurse and I felt like I was crawling in my skin during what used to be a blissful and mutually enjoyable thing.

Since I leak for the first 3 months of nursing, I've taken to collecting the excess in a cup and giving it to--you guessed--DD to drink. So that counts as tandem nursing in a way, no :? Even if it's a grand total of 4 oz spread in 1 oz servings through out the day? Sure beats having lots of soaked nursing bras and clothing, towels etc to absorb all that liquid gold!
how old is your dd?? I tried to wean ds2 but he wasn't having ANY of it. I finally gave up

#19 of 22 Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchersmama View Post
Not there yet, but will be soon! my ds, who turned 5 last month planned to quit then. But the night before his birthday we talked about it and he decided he wasn't ready. I feel nervous about the technical side of it - just how do you nurse a 5 yrold and a new born?!
But also grateful I can
The five year old can be patient and mellow, and understand that the baby gets priority.

I miss tandem nursing. I miss nursing, period. I'm looking forward to doing it soon...

#20 of 22 Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 AM

I'm nursing my 5 day old and my 23 month old......

I am managing, although it can be difficult. My toddler was only nursing at nap and bedtime before but now that the baby is here she wants it a lot more often and I haven't been denying her much for fear of jealousy issues. I sometimes have to ask her to wait for baby to have a turn and she is dealing with that in a pretty good way. The hardest thing is at night when they both want to be nursed to sleep.....ACK! one cries and wakes the other and then i get one fixed and they take turns waking each other up and wanting to be nursed back to sleep. It is hard! Especially the last couple days because my supply is insane, and my boobs are huge and painful etc--- but my babies are worth the trouble!!
#21 of 22 Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM

One thing I loved about nursing my 27 month old is when my milk came in full force and I was super uncomfortable he could nurse a lot more efficiently than the new baby and help take the edge off when I felt like bursting! It made those first few days before my supply regulated a lot more comfortable.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#22 of 22 Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well it sounds like there are a few of us! My DD was nursing once a day before James was born, sometimes twice a day and sometimes she'd skip a day. Since he has been here she's asked a little more. Not nearly as much as I thought she would. Strawberry, I have to disagree with you. I think my toddler made the engorgement issues worse because she didn't nurse regularly. She'd nurse twice a day, usually before bed so my supply would boost and she wouldn't nurse at all at night so I'd get so huge and uncomfy! I made (asked) her to nurse pretty much every morning for those days my milk was coming in and getting regulated. Now at 12 days pp it's much better. She is nursing about twice a day now. I do tell her no or remind her she has to wait for DS because he doesn't get to eat other thing like she does. She handles it really well but she was used to boundaries with regards to nursing before his arrival too. I had to limit her while pregnant because it was terribly unpleasant to nurse her then. She has a great latch and almost always understands if I need to count her off. I'm so glad it is better nursing her now. I was really worried the icky feelings would last but they didn't! I have no problem nursing her now, other than she's so BIG! How did I ever hold her and nurse?: She's just so darn long! I think she's gained atleast a pound in the last week and she's not even nursing that much! It is really going a lot better than I thought it might.

Another question, did you guys still have sore nipples and engorgement problems? I was thinking they would be greatly reduced this time around, but nope. Atleast it was only one nipple that got really bad and it is definately better the last 2 days. The engorment though, I think it was worse this time than with DD. I think it was because her nursing messed with my supply, because she wasn't nursing every couple hours to keep the engorment down. I had to ask her to nurse a couple times so I could get DS to latch because I was so huge! Atleast now I know what I'd look like if I ever decided to get breast implants!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page