So it is just before 1am (on my birthday no less) and my water broke when I got up to go to the bathroom. I have been having some really mild contractions for the last couple of days but only 3-4 really good/strong ones. So I am trying to figure out when to go to the hospital.
If anyone is up at this hour some advice would be very appreciated.
I don't have much advice for you as I'm a first time momma-to-be as well. If it were me though, I would wait as long as I could. I hate the idea of being in a hospital with restricted food and movememts. Hugs, and keep us updated.
I am not so worried about restricted food and movement as my OB is very "old school" about those things. We have already agreed that there will be no IV and that I can eat if I desire. I even have a cooler bag packed with stuff to take with me.
I guess I just always assumed that labor would come before the water breaking and not the other way around. I am having some contractions now and though they are a bit more intense they are short (20-30 seconds) and only 2-3 minutes apart.
IKWYM- my waters breaking early this time freaked me out. The waters were clear, yes?
Stay at home until you can't not stay at home. Movement is your friend in getting labour established (walking, etc.) and that will be limited when you're in a car and if they want to monitor you.
Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Happy Birthday to you! What a wonderful surprise, huh? With contractions 2-3 minutes apart I might go in, but I have a feeling you are already there. Hope all is well and that you are already holding that baby!
The labor and delivery went quite well and until they had to take him 4 hours after delivery for breathing problems everything went according to plan. I will write up the whole story once everything settles down a little.
He is currently in the NICU with what we are hoping is transient tachypnea of the newborn (which is basically that he just didn't transition to life on the outside well) that will be resolved by tomorrow. If not then the probability increases that it is an aspiration pneumonia (had light muconium in the waters about 2 hours after the initial break which was clear) and the docs say he will be in the NICU till next Tuesday.
Thank you guys for all the great advice and support.