Tell me not to take caster oil... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm only 3 days before my edd. I know that being uncomfortable isn't a good reason to try to induce labor.

I took caster oil last time on my dd and it worked. The side effects weren't even so bad. I got all the cramping and yucky stuff done before labor really kicked in.

My mom is coming on Sunday, then when she goes home mil is coming to help.

The plan was for them to help with the little kids while I recover, not be here for the birth and I'm feeling lots of pressure to give birth before my mom comes. She's supportive but very nervous about homebirth and I really don't want her here. No, her visit isn't flexible at all according to her employer. She lives out of state and so does my mil.

I'm so bored I can't stand it. I'm in so much pain I'm laying around all day long and everything hurts when I try to do a chore or play with the kids. I sit and watch tv or surf the net or knit all day. The kids are bored because we've been stuck in the house all day.

So, yeah, the caster oil looks pretty tasty right now. Tell me why I shouldn't do it. I know it's wrong.
#2 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 06:52 PM

Not in your due date club, but I've seen people "use up" their castor oil - they take it too early (not ready yet) and it doesn't work later, when they are "ripe" for labor. Unless you're dilated and effaced a little already, I think it's too risky. Can you delay your Mom coming? That's a way better option. Chances are you'll go into labor way before Sunday.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM

Hmmm...you sound desperate to me. I think you're about to go into labor on your own and you just need to hang on! The day before I went into labor with ds, I was completely and utterly insane!!! And then presto, into labor I went. So I say just wait and you'll go into labor tonight

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#4 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am feeling kind of desperate. My mom's visit cannot be delayed. The flight was booked months ago and her employer requires all vacation for the year to be scheduled each November, so we decided this months ago. What was I thinking? I should have had her coming a week after my due date, not 2 days later.

Ugh.

Yes, I'm insane. I felt just like this last time but I did take the caster oil, only a 6th of the dose that was recommended to me, and it worked that night. Maybe I would have had him that day anyway.

Sigh.....this just bites. I was in such a good mood this morning and felt so positive. I don't know what happened.
#5 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:16 PM

are any of your babes still nursing?

how about lots of sex the next few days?

or other more natural things like those before you do castor oil. just sounds like you have reservations. and, i have heard that castor oil works with your body once things are already started so do you think it would even help if there's not contractions already?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#6 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, my son weaned a few months ago, but I've been having tons of contractions for weeks not. That is the worst part. I think I'm in labor every stinkin day. Every night when the kids go to bed I start contracting and it lasts a few hours then goes away. This morning I had some really good contractions, but my cervix is so posterior that I can't even reach it. My midwife says that means I'm definitely less than 3cm dilated.

I should just go into the bedroom and throw an all out tantrum. Maybe that would get my frustrations out and make me feel well enough to get through the day.

To top it off, my mom keeps commenting "I hope you have the baby before I come" I know she's scared to death of homebirth, but to put pressure on me like that is not fair!!!! What the heck was I thinking having her come so soon after my due date? Ugh.
#7 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywiehl View Post
Nope, my son weaned a few months ago, but I've been having tons of contractions for weeks not. That is the worst part. I think I'm in labor every stinkin day. Every night when the kids go to bed I start contracting and it lasts a few hours then goes away. This morning I had some really good contractions, but my cervix is so posterior that I can't even reach it. My midwife says that means I'm definitely less than 3cm dilated.

I should just go into the bedroom and throw an all out tantrum. Maybe that would get my frustrations out and make me feel well enough to get through the day.

To top it off, my mom keeps commenting "I hope you have the baby before I come" I know she's scared to death of homebirth, but to put pressure on me like that is not fair!!!! What the heck was I thinking having her come so soon after my due date? Ugh.

yes, totally go to the bedroom and vent it all out! i think stuff like that is so helpful. maybe you just need that big release?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#8 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Oh my gosh! I could have written your post! I have the castor oil in the house and I am trying not to think about it. And to make matters worse I have a midwife who really likes the stuff. Sort of the "works great if the time is right" mentality.

I too think I am in labor every day. Including right now. But I know its probably just another 30 hour bout of dumb contractions.

My mom is coming tomorrow from Portland. No changing her flight. I also wanted to have this baby before she came. Even though she was great at my last homebirth. This time she is so "anxious". Or so she says.

I am having ctx now as usual and the babe is moving like crazy. I know they will go away as soon as I go to bed.

I want to take the castor oil! And I want it to work. NOW. :

So I made DH go buy me a bag of jelly beans instead. They are making me fill sick to my stomach enough.

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#9 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathywiehl View Post
Sigh.....this just bites. I was in such a good mood this morning and felt so positive. I don't know what happened.
me too mama

also, I still cannot reach my cervix (posterior) and my mw says I am 3cm...

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#10 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM

I've taken in (twice), skip it! Both times I was already dilated and contracting, but neither time was it the kick I needed. I've given up on the stuff. It's not worth the nasty taste and nausea. I can deal with the trots, your body normally does it anyway in prep (at least mine does!), but I'm convinced the castor oil is baloney.
#11 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 PM

I would try some black cohosh. I used this last pregnancy and this time. I am not sure if it brought on labor of if I was just ready, but each time I took it I had the baby within 12 hours. I used the tincture and put 15 drops in a small glass of water. I drank this every 2-3 hours until contractions started. Along with this I did a lot of walking, EPO and some sex too!

I would stay away from castor oil, it is bad stuff!

You could try a triple H enema, high, hot and hell of a lot. This will get you cleand out and could make a dsyfunctional labor pattern funchional.

Good luck!
#12 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Kathy, I'm so with you on the desperation thing. My mood and feelings about not having the baby yet turn on a dime (and I'm not as far along as you).

Have you tried EPO, nipple stim, or cohoshes? I would try all of those before going to castor oil just because if they don't work, they won't make you feel like crap. Maybe you'd feel better DOING something, and one of those options would be a better choice for you. I'm with you, mama!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#13 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great support. It's so nice to know that others feel the same way right now. It makes me feel less like a baby.
#14 of 16 Old 02-20-2008, 04:09 AM

Are you comfortable using it now, knowing that if it doesn't work then that's it and you don't have that option to fall back on later? Then do it. (but take a small dose and do it at bedtime so you can sleep off the worst of it. Also, have some wet wipes handy for the day afterwards.) I have to say, though, having tried castor oil with Skye, and once with River (5cm dilated and contracting every 5 minutes...), I've come to the conclusion that it's like the wardrobe in Narnia, and it'll only get you into labour once. Next time you have to find a different route.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 16 Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 AM

i wouldn't take anything!!

I was 42w4d and I tried every natural labor-inducer known to mankind in those last 2 weeks+, and yaknow when labor *finally* got its groove on?? When I quit trying to augment it and gave up completely. Our bodies are mean like that Good luck and happy labor vibes!! :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#16 of 16 Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

My water broke!!!!! Someone said it would be tonight and it is!!!! I started another thread and will update later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page