Mothering Forum banner

Discouraged

783 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Hemiola 
#1 ·
My baby hasn't nursed for over a week now. She can't latch on to me. And she hates the nipple shield, which is what I've used for my other three babies with latch problems. I never have had a baby whom the shield didn't help. I don't know what to do with her. And my pump broke this morning. So I had to go out and rent one. It's the weekend, so the lactation consultant that was recommended to me couldn't be reached until Monday at the earliest.

I know in my head that my baby isn't really rejecting me. But I am feeling rejected. I'm so sad at the moment. It's been a low day.

#4 ·
HUGS

maybe call a local LLL Leader? I know some of them do home visits and maybe one could help and maybe see you tomorrow instead of monday?

I am so sorry you are having latch problems.

Have you posted in the Breastfeeding forum? maybe someone there woudl have more technical advice.

#5 ·

I'm so sorry, I missed the start of your story. Why are you pumping for her? Inverted nipples, or ???
There is a technique called rebirthing which works sometimes- literally, taking baby back to that first golden hour after birth and submerging you both in water. Gently leave her near your breast and let her start to root and nuzzle. I wouldn't continue to try her with a nipple shield, but I would see if she can latch straight to you. If nothing else, the skin-skin contact might help you over this difficult day emotionally.

#6 ·
: I am sorry you are having such difficulty and I hope you can hook up with the LC tomorrow. If you live close to a hopsital with L&D you might give a call and see if there is a LC on over the weekend you could meet with. Good luck, and if nothing else I agree with Helen and have lots of skin to skin contact.

#7 ·
here is the new LLL help line info...

I am sending you lots of light and peace

NEW 24-hour LLL Helpline Number in the US!
877-4-LALECHE or 877-452-5324 is the number for the new LLL Breastfeeding helpline!
The helpline is now operational. Please spread the word!
Speak to a La Leche Leader 24 hours a day!
Get breastfeeding support and encouragement! Receive answers to breastfeeding questions!
Find a local Leader!

#9 ·
Not in your DDC, but I would HIGHLY suggest you take your baby to a craniosacral therapist ASAP! I struggled for 4 months with latch/supply issues and one 45 minute session with a craniosacral therapist fixed DS's latch. Unfortunately, I was never able to recover my supply and always had to supplement.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.