FINALLY announcing the arrival of..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leah Diane
Born March 3rd (9 days overdue) at 3:26 a.m., via c/s, after a very long labor. 8 lbs. 14 oz. 21.5" long.

I SO hoped for a VBAC . I started having contractions Saturday night at 9:30, 5-10 minutes apart. By 9:00 a.m. Sunday, they were 5 min. apart. We took DS to the ILs, fully anticipating to be going to the hospital in a couple of hours. I told Ryan we'd go when my water broke or when my contractions were 3 mins apart.

At 7:00 p.m. my contractions were finally 3-4 minutes apart (water still hadn't broke), so we went to the hospital. I got there 9 cm and fully effaced. We ALL expected that I would be having the baby 9 pm. Um, no. The doc broke my water about 8. At 10 or so I caved and begged for an epidural--something I DO NOT regret at all. I was fine up until that point, but they started coming so hard and so fast I was loosing my grip on reality. Call me a pansy, call me what you will, but I needed the epi.

At 11:45 I started pushing. I pushed for 3 hours. The nurses told me I was the best pusher they'd seen , but it was all for naught. When I pushed, they could see the head, but as soon as I stopped pushing, her head went back up. She just wouldn't drop (which I suppose is why my water hadn't broke). After 3 hours pushing, the doc. finally said that we should do another c/s.

I won't lie--I was/am EXTREMELY disappointed. My doc and hospital are not VBA2C friendly, and I now know that going natural and having a home birth will not work for me (I need the epi), so knowing that all subsequent births will be c/s is a disappointment.

I am left wondering if I had just waited for my water to break on its own if things would have turned out differently, but woulda-coulda-shoulda.

But, I ended up with a beautiful baby girl. The doc. said he's done up to 6 c/s on a woman, so it's not as if I'll be limited to a small family. I do feel I tried my hardest. I'm disapponted, but not regretful.

And very happy that baby is FINALLY here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 AM

Congratulations Mama! I think you should be very proud of yourself for all of your efforts! The most important thing is that your little Leah is here and she is healthy and well and you are healing well! Take care of yourself and welcome little Leah! :::!!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2-4 View Post
Congratulations Mama! I think you should be very proud of yourself for all of your efforts! The most important thing is that your little Leah is here and she is healthy and well and you are healing well! Take care of yourself and welcome little Leah! :::!!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 AM

congrats!! i'm sorry things ended the way they did but you did great! i understand your disappointment, give yourself permission to grieve the birth you wanted. our babies were the same size! well leah had an ounce on james...... congrats on your little girl!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM

Wow, that's a BIG girl... where did you put her? I'm so sorry you didn't get your VBAC, but glad she's here safe and sound.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Congrats on your daughter!!

I totally understand your disappointment. I had a CBAC too. I was planning a homebirth, but transfered after hours and hours of pushing without progress. I keep going through the what-ifs myself....

If you need to talk to someone feel free to send me a private message.

And remember, it is a big accomplishment to get to 9cm. You did labor, and that is good for your baby and for you.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Congrats on your baby girl! Hope you have smooth healing and find peace about the c/s.

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Congratulations on the arrival of Leah! It's also good to keep in mind that having experienced labor (rather than a scheduled cesarean) does have several health benefits for the baby, so that's terrific that you were able to give her that.
Also it sounds like you worked hard and made good decisions for yourself throughout the birth, so hopefully that helps as you process the birth.

Enjoy your baby girl, & thanks for sharing your story. I was wondering how you were doing.

~ mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM

You are heroic, and you got that baby here! You should be very proud of yourself. OF course you can feel disappointed, but take in all the love and support we're sending your way and use it to help heal, too!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Congrats mama, it is so great that they even let you try, and it sounds like yo really tried. Happy Birthday to your LO!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Sorry for the disappointment but she is HERE!

LOVE her name but I am partial!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.

User Tag List