Born March 3rd (9 days overdue) at 3:26 a.m., via c/s, after a very long labor. 8 lbs. 14 oz. 21.5" long.
I SO hoped for a VBAC
. I started having contractions Saturday night at 9:30, 5-10 minutes apart. By 9:00 a.m. Sunday, they were 5 min. apart. We took DS to the ILs, fully anticipating to be going to the hospital in a couple of hours. I told Ryan we'd go when my water broke or when my contractions were 3 mins apart.
At 7:00 p.m. my contractions were finally 3-4 minutes apart (water still hadn't broke), so we went to the hospital. I got there 9 cm and fully effaced. We ALL expected that I would be having the baby 9 pm. Um, no. The doc broke my water about 8. At 10 or so I caved and begged for an epidural--something I DO NOT regret at all. I was fine up until that point, but they started coming so hard and so fast I was loosing my grip on reality. Call me a pansy, call me what you will, but I needed the epi.
At 11:45 I started pushing. I pushed for 3 hours. The nurses told me I was the best pusher they'd seen
, but it was all for naught. When I pushed, they could see the head, but as soon as I stopped pushing, her head went back up. She just wouldn't drop (which I suppose is why my water hadn't broke). After 3 hours pushing, the doc. finally said that we should do another c/s.
I won't lie--I was/am EXTREMELY disappointed. My doc and hospital are not VBA2C friendly, and I now know that going natural and having a home birth will not work for me (I need the epi), so knowing that all subsequent births will be c/s is a disappointment.
I am left wondering if I had just waited for my water to break on its own if things would have turned out differently, but woulda-coulda-shoulda.
But, I ended up with a beautiful baby girl. The doc. said he's done up to 6 c/s on a woman, so it's not as if I'll be limited to a small family. I do feel I tried my hardest. I'm disapponted, but not regretful.
And very happy that baby is FINALLY here