Super Evil Diaper Rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My poor little Trixie has a diaper rash.
I've tried disposable diapers thinking she might have issues with cloth. Didn't help.
I used Desitin, but it's so thick that I can't wipe it off right and we were wiping her skin off too, making her raw.
Tried Burts Bees, but its the same problem as Desitin.
I tried a rinse with apple cider vinegar mixed with water to balance the Ph on her skin, hasn't worked.
Ped suggested using A&D ointment, but it's petroleum based and I don't know if that's the best for cloth diapers.

How can I tell if it's a yeast based rash? We saw her ped earlier this week and he didn't comment much, but I hate that she has such a red spotty bum, and it's on the insides of her thighs too... but I think that's cause her diapers are huge.

I change her really frequently, and make sure that she's good and clean and really dry before I put on the ointment and a new diaper.

I think it's time to start Ecing (I've been holding off, I can do one problem at a time, still working on bfing) just to save her poor skin.

I had an inkling that this would happen, I have crazy sensitive skin and expected that she would too... it appears I was right.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Don't panic.

I like the milder and gentler stuff. Try calendula oil and as much nappy-free time as possible. Don't call it EC, just let her air her girly bits out. We also use a really gentle bottom balm which is just vegetable oils- I get mine from Neals Yard or the local supermarket, neither of which is any use to you, but someone over there will do something similar.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Dea- Weleda calendula diaper stuff (pardon baby brain for not knowing the exact name) has worked well for us. It is really gentle, fine for the cloth diapers and helps keep her bum clear. (I was actually thinking maybe I could put a little on her acne!)
It is worth a try- that- and I second the naked time for airing, but it sounds like you are doing that already with the skin to skin contact time.
Good luck,
Mj
Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM

You can use a liner for the diapers -- flannel works well, or cut up some pieces of fleece. Then you can use any ointment you want. What a bummer, ouchie!!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 PM

My son was allergic (our at least that was causing the rash) to zinc oxide. Most of the things we were using had that. Calendula was a big help to him. The doctor should be able to ID bacterial or yeast I would think. We were prescribed a bacterial ointment and it did clear it up..until we went back to regular cream with zinc oxide. That's when we figured out what was going on. Cloth diapers (with free and clear detergent) and wool were what helped him best; I think because it was breathable.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 AM

nak-

Use a liner so you can use any ointment
I've had the best luck using a&d under a layer of lanolin to keep moisture off the rash...and let her air out as much as possible
lavender in the bath water is good for skin too
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 PM

i used weleda calendula diaper cream with excellent results and i've got some california baby diaper rash cream on hand. i've read good things about it and it smells nice.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM

sound like you've got it covered....

the only thing that really worked for us was naked bum time. she usually gets rashy, i let her air out for half the day (doing tons of laundry) it clears up, then we diaper again. repeat.

i hope it clears up!

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM

I don't know if it's yeast, but I do know my kids had rashes like that. The bottom line (pun intended) is that diapers cause diaper rash. I tried everything, used wool covers exclusively, had the dipes specially treated by the diaper service, slathered them with desitin, but nothing solved the problem. They simply can't wear diapers 24/7.

I'd like to say that EC is the answer, but between working and just plain being 43 years old and unfamiliar with the concept, I'm not very good at it.

Terran wears dipes during the day, I potty him when I can, and he sleeps naked on these at night.

I wash them every day and could certainly do with more than I have. I know it's extreme, but either that or the extra melanin he got from a different "father" is working.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM

I've heard great things about using silk liners for rashy bottoms.

However, I must say that ECing has been fabulous for us, and much easier than I expected. I WAY prefer it to changing diapers all day! I think it's supposed to be much easier the earlier you start, too. We started at about 2 weeks old, and she's totally diaper free whenever we're home with very few misses during the day.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM

applecore

That's how I was hoping EC would be for us, and I haven't given up yet!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM

We tried five different ointments to no avail - but I read in a book to pat, not wipe, use a warm wet washcloth instead of wipes at home and alcohol free wipes when out in public, and then air dry the baby while you wash your hands. And voila, the rash has been gone for a week now with no problems.

He's in disposable diapers, BTW.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM

hey dea,
my baby had bad diaper rash. not sure what was causing it and I have to say that it comes back every once and awhile but anyway:

I use the weleda diaper cream, it works great to get rid of it once it's there. What I think has helped is some partial ecing - just offering the opportunity to pee everytime I change the diaper gives the bum a chane to get some air and be dry. And then patting dry after wiping with the babywipes - which, it could be the wipes I guess if you are using store bought ones and not just cloth with water. You might find yourself catching more pees than you think especially if you change fairly soon after feedings and just after waking from naps. This is pretty much what I do as far as ecing because honestly his cues were/are pretty hard to decipher on pottying although lately I have been getting better at it.

applecore, I am pretty inpressed by your ec experience. I am kinda afraid to leave diapers off since I suck at reading potty cues and I don't -dont want to get peed on!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 PM

I've always had great luck with lanolin ( as pure as you can find ). I use disposables...I know not very Earth friendly but, we travel a lot... so, our rashes generally clear up quickly but, my pediatrician told me that some babies are more prone and parents have a harder time clearing up rashes because more parents are opting to use cloths.

gerlassie
Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Dea

Helloooo...
I've been without internet for nearly a week, I might be going crazy.
Anyhow I might have figured out what needs to be done about her rash.
I change her in the bathroom and I actually stick her little bum under the faucet and rinse her off with water and pat her dry/ air her out, then some A&D or baby powder which I know I shouldn't use, but her rash is all but gone. I've also been using disposables with a thick layer of A&D or if she is in cloth I go with wool covers. I think the biggest thing is to actually rinse her little bum, and I think she likes it, she totally relaxes in my hands and doesn't fight it at all.

Regarding ECing, I've been watching for clues and there are none that I can identify. What's a good way to start?

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM

Glad you found something that works!! Charlotte is prone to rashes too (I was afraid she would be, all the little girls I know are very rashy) and I have found that when she has broken skin a little breastmilk on the area helps to soothe and heal it up. Also, any kind of mainstream commercial wipe, even unscented, causes her to have little bleeding cracks in her butt. The only wipes she can tolerate are plain washcloths with water, or Lansinoh alcohol-free cleansing cloths.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM

Dea, if you want to watch for signals, the best thing to do would be to take a day and devote it to doing only that. Keep baby diaperless, or without a cover, and just hold her and see what she does right before you notice her going. Chances are she does SOMETHING, but it can be very subtle. I notice more and more about what Twyla is trying to tell me the longer we EC. Just yesterday we got home and she was in the carseat screaming her head off, and my husband even could tell that she was saying, "Take this diaper off! I need to pee!" It just keeps getting better. I started an EC support thread for us Feb. mamas that are doing it- in case you want to go more in depth.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Dea, if you want to watch for signals, the best thing to do would be to take a day and devote it to doing only that. Keep baby diaperless, or without a cover, and just hold her and see what she does right before you notice her going. Chances are she does SOMETHING, but it can be very subtle. I notice more and more about what Twyla is trying to tell me the longer we EC. Just yesterday we got home and she was in the carseat screaming her head off, and my husband even could tell that she was saying, "Take this diaper off! I need to pee!" It just keeps getting better. I started an EC support thread for us Feb. mamas that are doing it- in case you want to go more in depth.

I"ll try that! thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 AM

Are you using cloth wipes or disposable wipes? The reason why I'm asking is that the cloth wipes that I was using were causing my son's bottom to become so raw. It was like he was blistered along his little crack. I had been using some water in a wipes warmer (but not changing it often enough), and it was getting funky. After I started using unscented disposable wipes (Kirkland/ Costco brand) that had a smooth surface (and wasn't nasty like the water that I was using!), it cleared right up. I also used A&D ointment and then Burt's Bees when it was starting to heal up. I used disposables until it was nearly gone about a week later.

Hope that you get is cleared up very soon!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 AM

Lansinoh. Try it and you will never go near A&D again. It clears up most rashes w/in hours for my dd. On occasion, it will take a full day.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Dea, I'm nowhere near as successful as applecore and Twyla, but I do feell good about how well Terran understands MY cue for "all clear, all aimed, go ahead and pee". Just make a "sss" sound (or whatever feels comfortable to you) in a matter-of-fact way when Trixie goes. Either have her nekkie butt or in a prefold without a cover so you can tell. She should pick up on that fairly quickly and then you can make the sound when you take the diaper off and aim her where you want her to go.

Terran seems to be aware that it's an unusual thing for a baby to do and is so proud of himself, especially at our office job or running errands or other times when he would just have to sit in wet, soiled clothing otherwise.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimeiyu View Post
Lansinoh. Try it and you will never go near A&D again. It clears up most rashes w/in hours for my dd. On occasion, it will take a full day.
yay thanks!

I went to a mother's support group yesterday and they also suggested a paste of corn starch and water to create a barrier, so in the middle of the night I made one and it really worked, she was dry!

mamatomax, I rinse her bum under a tap and pat her dry with a baby towel, so I don't really use wipes. I know that dh is lazy though and will just use a wet baby face cloth, perhaps I will pick him up some unscented wipes today. thanks!!

User Tag List