Losing the weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else is trying to lose this baby weight?

I've been working out like crazy and I haven't lost a single pound yet! I'm hoping to lose all of the weight by September. I gained a ton of weight with my other pregnancies so I'm trying to lose 65 lbs.
#2 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 AM

I am totally trying to lose this weight. I lost a ton of weight after my last pregnancy and swore I would not gain too much with this one. I excercised all the way through (until the day before I delivered). I lost about 30 pounds right off the bat, but now would like to drop another 10-15 and it just doesn't want to come off.

I am 5.5 weeks postpartum and have been back to fairly regular exercise since week 3. I take exercise classes (1 hour) they are usually a combination of aerobic and weight lifting and I also walk (some days do both). I walk about 4 miles on a very hilly path carrying the infant and pushing either 1 or 2 kids.

I am back in my prepregnancy jeans (they are snug in the belly) but my other pants don't fit yet. I seem to have gained the weight in my belly and my thighs.

I would love to have some online support to help lose the weight and stay motivated. I have a really good friend that I exercise with and it helps so much, but would love more. So, if anyone wants to start a post partum weight loss support group I will join!
#3 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM

I can't believe it. I don't own a scale so I've been oblivious but I estimated I had about 10 lbs left to lose. I'm back into size 2/4 and prepregnancy I was a 0... I can get my 0s up but I can't zip them.

Anyway I weighed myself at the mall on Wednesday just to confirm and the scale said 138. : I was about 147 when I delivered Charlotte so I don't know what happened. I really thought I was about 125 by now and only had 10 lbs left to lose, what a shock to find out I haven't really lost anything other than the baby (6 lbs 6 oz) and the placenta.

If I haven't been losing anything then how come every week I can fit in smaller and smaller clothes?? Aaaargh. Ignorance was bliss, I should have never weighed myself. I had been feeling good about how quickly I was headed back into my pre-pregnancy clothes and now I just feel discouraged and cranky because I really haven't lost a thing and I have at least 23 lbs to go.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#4 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Maybe that mall scale was wrong?

I'm 2.5 weeks pp and have lost 23lbs, with 10 to go to prepregnancy weight but 17 to ideal weight. I'm not too worried yet. I'd love to exercise but I'm trying to get my bleeding completely stopped first.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#5 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Maybe that mall scale was wrong?
That's what dh said (bless him!! LOL!!) but I don't know, I don't want to make excuses. I mean, I could see it being off a few lbs but probably not as many as I would like it to be!

#6 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 12:28 PM

I have 10 lbs. to go (I think) to pre-preg weight, and would love to lose another 5 on top of that. I live rurally, and it's still winter, which will be followed by mud season! No family nearby. This all combines to - no access to the gym until I return to work, and it's lousy weather to be out walking with babe.

I'm going to try and start x-country skiing with LO in a Baby Bjorn - does that sound like a bad idea? I'll be very careful to avoid icy conditions, and take the hills slowly...but it's such great exercise. We went out yesterday with DH carrying her, and it was fine - gave me confidence. Still, it's challenging - when it's cold out, I really have to bundle her!

I've been doing yoga 1-2 times per week, but that's just stretching. Haven't broken out the Nordic Track yet...maybe this weekend!
#7 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM

I must have been harboring a TON of fluid, because 2 weeks pp I'm down over 30 lbs already (I gained 50). Torrential night sweats helped with that, I think! Beyond that I'm just gonna wait and see - I'm hoping nursing will take the rest off quickly.

Sorry, is that annoying?
#8 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM

i have 25 pounds to loose. i measured my waist, because that's where the obvious extra weight is (besides my mommy boobs) and it's **8** inches bigger than normal! crazy. anyway, i was wondering about working out and breastfeeding... is it bad to loose the extra weight while your body is using that many calories? does that make sense? i just don't want my milk supply to suffer.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#9 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 PM

oh StrawberryFields if you're in a 2/4 you're doing awesome- I don't want to hear any bellyaching about not fitting into your 0s! j/k

Of course I'd like to be back to my pre-2 baby self but I notice that my body just likes to hold onto weight for dear life while I'm nursing so I've resolved to talk a couple brisk uphill walks everyday (Grant loves going on walks anyway) and eating 3 healthy reasonable meals and maybe some fruit if I feel hungry in between. I find the more I focus on the actual weight or size I'm in the more I get depressed and end up eating junk. I'm just focusing on being healthy and I know the pounds and sizes will steadily decrease...for now I'm going to Victoria's Secret and getting one of those body shaper things to hold in the belly

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#10 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
oh StrawberryFields if you're in a 2/4 you're doing awesome- I don't want to hear any bellyaching about not fitting into your 0s! j/k
I'll happily stick with the 2's and 4's if you all want to take up a collection so I can buy some!! But until then I'm going to bellyache about having a big pile o' jeans that I can't zip staring me in the face every morning while I tear my dresser apart searching for SOMETHING that fits!! My least favorite part of having a baby, the stage where you've already burned your maternity clothes LOL but your regular stuff just doesn't quite fit.

If it didnt look like THIS http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...m/DSCN4271.jpg
outside TWO FRIGGIN' DAYS before Easter maybe I could get outside and take a WALK!!!! Not a lot of calorie burning going on walking from the couch to the fridge and back again.

#11 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM

I have 10 lbs. to go (I think) to pre-preg weight, and would love to lose another 5 on top of that. I live rurally, and it's still winter, which will be followed by mud season! No family nearby. This all combines to - no access to the gym until I return to work, and it's lousy weather to be out walking with babe.

I'm going to try and start x-country skiing with LO in a Baby Bjorn - does that sound like a bad idea? I'll be very careful to avoid icy conditions, and take the hills slowly...but it's such great exercise. We went out yesterday with DH carrying her, and it was fine - gave me confidence. Still, it's challenging - when it's cold out, I really have to bundle her!

I've been doing yoga 1-2 times per week, but that's just stretching. Haven't broken out the Nordic Track yet...maybe this weekend!
#12 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM

I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers after my dd2 was born last feb. I started in March and lost 65lbs by the time I got preggo with this one The points program has allowances for breastfeeding which is awesome.

Anyway, just my $.02
#13 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I'll happily stick with the 2's and 4's if you all want to take up a collection so I can buy some!! But until then I'm going to bellyache about having a big pile o' jeans that I can't zip staring me in the face every morning while I tear my dresser apart searching for SOMETHING that fits!!
I'm with you here! I gained *50* lbs with my pregnancy, although my MW wanted me to put on at least 15 lbs + pregnancy weight, so I guess I did that 2 weeks after I had her I got weighed at prime care (on account of breaking my stupid arm) and I had lost 25 lbs I was really excited, but now I don't think I've lost any more I am really sick of wearing these cursed sweatpants!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#14 of 38 Old 03-22-2008, 03:43 PM

i have a closet full of clothes that i swear were shrunk while i was gestating. it's so frustrating!!!

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#15 of 38 Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 PM

I gained 65 lbs with the pregnancy! I'm almost 4 weeks pp and i'm down 30. 35 to go, and then i'd love to lose another 20 (wishful thinking!).

I've been at the same weight now for about a week, so I need to start working it off now. I can't wait for it to warm up enough for C and I to go walking in the afternoons. I had a C/S, so i'm waiting until my 6 week check up before I start any more energetic exercise.
#16 of 38 Old 03-22-2008, 08:52 PM

I don't own a scale, on purpose, and didn't weigh myself before, during or after the pregnancy. But if I was honest I think I have GAINED weight in the past few weeks (almost 6 weeks PP). I plan on joining Weight Watchers either next weekend or the first weekend of April. My midwife I should wait til 8 weeks to actively lose weight so my milk can establish itself, heal, etc. Then to lost 1-2 pounds a week. I did WW last time and lost over 70 pounds so I am hoping to have the same success this time, but hopefully I'll keep it off this time around...I can't wait to start running again but I think I am going to wait on that til around 12 weeks.
#17 of 38 Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM

at my check up i am down 30 pound which is awsome but now i am dealing with extra loose skin...it's gross. any ideas on what to do with that.
Plus I want to know how all of you have time to exercise? I cannot find time to eat half the time nevermind go to the gym.

I would like to loose another 20 pounds to be happy, dh and i are competing i have to loose 20 and he has to loose 30 (b/c men have an easier time loosing)

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#18 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM

I gained about 30 lb and have no idea how much I've lost. I squeezed into some size 12 jeans and honestly, if I can get those to fit comfortably, I'll be satisfied. I might focus on true weight loss more later on, but it's not super high on my priority list right now!! I'm just excited that I didn't gain a ton of weight and it doesn't look like I'll have to struggle too much to be my pre-preg size.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#19 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 AM

I had just lost ten pounds, taking me to 140 - and I topped out at 192.

I'm 6 w pp, and down to 168. I'm not doing a damn thing to hurry the process, either. If anything I'm shooting it in the foot. The moving truck comes on Tuesday, and my friends have been meeting me at restaurants for goodbye lunches and dinners I figure once I'm in Maryland, I won't know anyone, so there won't be any more restaurant lunches!

Once we're moved, I'm going to look for a mama/stroller exercise group. My husband gained 20 during the pregnancy, so I have an evening walk buddy right there ready to go

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#20 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 12:47 PM

The grass isn't always greener, it's just different grass.

I was down to my prepreg weight by three weeks postpartum. Now I'm ten pounds below and nursing a very well padded baby whose weight is, according to dd's bathroom scale, in the 95th percentile.

I'm just waiting for the comments to start.
#21 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Dea

AHHHH! Okay not really. I keep looking at myself and trying really hard to not be upset with how I look. Being post partum is really messing with my body image, but you're supposed to be a little more to love after a baby right? Right?
Anyhow I gained 34 and I have 17 left to lose to get to my pre baby weight, but I would like to lose a lot more after that before my next baby.
I'm super anxious to start working out, but I'm still recovering from my c-section, and I still ache, I keep pulling something.
I hoped that breastfeeding would work for me to help lose some, but that still isnt working.

I can't wait to start some mommy and me classes!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#22 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 AM

Has everyone seen www.theshapeofamother.com ?
I'm below pre-pregnancy weight, some bottoms fit, some don't, because my hips spread out so much during pregnancy. I can work with this The rest of the weight will come off.

Oh, and Heather, you're doing too much. Eat more cake.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#23 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 AM

I'm still working on losing weight. I have lost only about 10 so far, but my shape is better. I have to lose 40 more to get to my pre twins weight, and another 10 - 20 on top of that to get to where i *should* be. I am getting serious on Sun. I had my 6 weeks of not worrying too much about eating & exercise while I recovered and adjusted, now back to the real world.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#24 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I keep looking at myself and trying really hard to not be upset with how I look. Being post partum is really messing with my body image,
same here. after my first babe i zipped back into my pre-pregnancy clothes in about three weeks so i figured it would be the same.

nope. i'm about 6 pounds out from my pre-pregnancy weight of 150 (10 lbs above a normal active weight) but my jeans have literally about 4 inches to go before they close! i keep trying on my regular clothes and i keep being surprised that everything is tight and i'm almost six weeks out.

i weighed 185 right before both of my babies were born but this time my belly is so much more stretched out

of course, it's cold and i keep making cookies but i just have little motivation to go do anything.

so, i'd like to join and get some motivation to get more active. i know watching people lose weight on tv isn't helping me AT ALL.

eh. who needs a signature?
#25 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM

I love Shape of a Mother! It really is hard to accept our motherly bodies as beautiful. I actually have a much easier time seeing it in other women- even if they are heavier than I am. I thought I would have an easier time with the way I look after this pregnancy since I didn't gain very much, but I still feel frumpy and unattractive.

I did start bellydancing again. It has been hard since my pelvis dislocated and is still very unstable, so I'm still in quite a bit of pain. I also take Twyla with me to class, and last night she was wide awake the whole time, so I danced with her in the sling. Whew! That was quite a bit more of a workout than I was really ready for! My teacher thought it would be good for me to go back to technique class until I get back into shape, instead of doing the choreography class. But I'm bored with technique, and just really want to dance! Maybe I start feeling sexier then.
#26 of 38 Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

Yea, I love Shape of a Mother and was looking forward to posting some pics, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not after all.

With dd1 I was this way and wound up looking pretty skeletal, but with Jeanita I couldn't fit into non-maternity clothes until she was crawling and never did get back into my pre-Jeanita clothes because I just got rid of them all.

My bellydance teacher has a class for new mommies! Hooray! Terran slept through the whole thing because he's way too young for it, but it's just my speed after taking almost the whole third trimester off. I HATE HATE HATE the fact that I have to drive the car there, because it would be a delightful bike ride, but I haven't even tried to get Terran safely in the trailer and may even wind up being a law abiding citizen and waiting until he's a year old after all.

I hate to think what that's going to do to my body. Skinny doesn't cut it. I'm an OLD new Mom (or a new old Mom) now and need to take care of myself so I can chase after next year's toddler and go club hopping with another college student when I'm in my 60s.
#27 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM

I got into my first pair of "normal" jeans yesterday - yippee! They are still tighter than they were pre-preg, and the a** area is more filled out than expected. Not a big surprise - between the pulled muscle and bad cold, I got almost no exercise my last 2 months. However, I've started getting regular, daily exercise; not a ton, maybe a 2-mile walk here, a yoga session there, a ski when the snow is right, but it's something! Better than nothing! And that, combined with the bfing, seems to be helping...I'm going to, 100%, break out the Nordic Track next week after our next round of visitors leaves. I miss getting an intense, sweat-producing workout daily! I'm guessing about 7-8 lbs. above pre-preg weight, and want to be down 5 from that if possible.
#28 of 38 Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM

I saw my OB at 5 weeks PP because of mastitis, and I had lost all of my PG weight plus an additional 14 pounds - I was down to 172. YAY for me!

I was back in ONE pair of my pre-pg jeans (stupid womens' clothing non-standard sizing) 2 weeks PP and bought a pair that fit at Goodwill the next week, so I had TWO pairs of non-elastic pants that fit. Then the dog chewed holes in one pair. BIG holes. I might be able to salvage them for shorts, but now I've got to go wash those jeans since we are seeing DH's family tonight.

My problem now is my boobs ... I was about a C-cup and am now up to a DD, so almost none of my nice-looking button-down shirts fit, and most of my knit tops are very summery - tank tops or short sleeves, and it's only 40 degrees right now.

My ten year highschool reunion is this year, so I'm going to use that as motivation to lose an additional 20 or so pounds. I would be totally happy to weigh 150 at my height (5'7"). We'll see how it goes.

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#29 of 38 Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I'm an OLD new Mom now and need to take care of myself so I can chase after next year's toddler and go club hopping with another college student when I'm in my 60s.
hahaha WERD to that, sista...

i have noticed that for me, having my kids so far apart, I surely didn't lose it while bfing, and my body held onto the weight for a full 3-4 years after each child... then miraculously fell off. It's like natures way of keeping me "healthy" (read: fat) so I can in turn, nurse the babies/have more babies...
I hope I can break the trend... I miss being thin enough to feel "good" in very little clothing.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#30 of 38 Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Ladies,
Some very wise mama told me the last time - 9 mos to put it on, and 9 mos to take it off. It really does take your body that long to go back. I think it took me 6 mos to lose it all last time, and then (thanks to breastfeeding), I lost 8 lbs on top of that in the following 3 mos. Most of it was gone in the
1st month or two, it was the last pesky 5 lbs that seemed to take forever.

This time, I lost 20 lbs in the first 5 days pp (I thought it was going to be smooth sailing from there). I still, however, have 10 lbs left. I haven't lost anything since that first week. It is frustrating, and I am not even close to fitting in my prepregnancy pants, but I am trying hard to remind myself that it takes time.

I have had body image issues in the past and I was so scared of my body never being the same after pregnancy. I was thrilled, however, when everything pretty much went back to how it was the first time. I think breastfeeding is amazing in this regard. I also think that carrying/wearing your baby helps things. Having experienced it once, I think that pregnancy actually strengthened my trust in my body and my body image.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page