Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   February 2008 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/415-february-2008/)
-   -   She's losing her hair. (http://www.mothering.com/forum/415-february-2008/871052-she-s-losing-her-hair.html)

Dea 03-26-2008 04:32 PM

Trixie was born with a full head of hair, which was really shocking to me since I was a Baldy McBalderson, along with everyone else in my family. DH doesn't know if he was bald, but suspects he was. (I have no idea how he doesn't know) So my little Miss had so much hair and I loved it, and now it's falling out! She has a seriously receding hairline. Is this normal? Oh I wish it didn't happen. I was hoping for lots of lovely brown locks. (I'm blonde, her having brown hair is so amusing to me, and I love it!)

anjanetteopal 03-26-2008 04:50 PM

yep! I saw a girl at my docs offive with a 5 month old with patches of hair missing and she said the doc told her it was normal. My little one lost a ton of hair all over the first time we washed it and its growing back now just fine.

StrawberryFields 03-26-2008 05:12 PM

Charlotte is losing her hair too, it is receding back from her forehead and she is missing a stripe on one side and also a chunk in the back! It's new territory for me, too since ds was born bald and didn't get any hair until well into his second year.

sun-shine01 03-26-2008 05:14 PM

My son was born with a head full of dark hair - by 3 months it all fell out and he now has blonde hair at 2 yrs.

Gemini05 03-26-2008 05:16 PM

Very normal! My brother was born with lots of dark brown hair, which started falling out when he was a few months old, and he got the blondest peach-fuzz hair after that!

Dea 03-26-2008 11:13 PM

so strange that it can go from dark to light!! I wonder what she will end up with!

Stay tuned!!

Although it might be a while!

True Blue 03-27-2008 10:56 AM

All my kids are born with full heads of dark hair...and the first two lost it all in the first few months and it grew back in blonde...waiting to see what happens to Lucy! Totally normal.

eilonwy 03-27-2008 11:25 AM

All of my kids have lost their newborn fuzz; BeanBean and Bella were born with jet black hair that all fell out and grew in brown, and BooBah was born with blonde fuzz that fell out and grew in flaming red, then later turned brownish-blondish with only the slightest red highlights. Bear's hair is reddish brown, and falling out in the most alarming fashion (he really looks like an old, balding man). The new hair coming in seems to be a medium blonde shade, but who knows. His eyebrows are blonde, though at this point that doesn't say much.

nolonger 03-30-2008 03:41 AM

Oh. My. Dog,

Poor Terran! It's happening to him too. I loved his silky soft straight black hair so much and it suited him so well even though intellectually I knew it was unlikely that the donor and I could recombine dna in such a way to get that texture and that colour.

I just admited to myself that it was coming out yesterday. Now he looks like the end of that post-apocalyptic made-for-teevee movie called the day after when everybody is in the advanced stages of radiation sickness and jason robards starts ordering those people out of his "house"....

Oh well. He does have a beautifully shaped head and I guess it's a good thing he's the only one of my kids who's ever been able to tolerate hats. He's going to be just as bald as the rest of them by next week.

Jezzy 03-30-2008 08:44 AM

Ashlee was born with really dark almost black hair, she still has a ton of hair but it is getting lighter.

NOS I saw a pic of heidi klums son, his hair is awesome! Tons of light brown curls. I think Terran would be a real cutie with lighter curly haĆ­r too! Your hair is kinda curly too isn't it?

smokeylo 03-30-2008 11:05 AM

like you we were shocked when robin was born with a full head of hair and i am afraid it will fall out, too!! i know it's really common, boo.

eilonwy 03-30-2008 02:17 PM

I don't know, i think it's kind of fun... like you get to guess what the baby's hair will be like twice.

Dea 03-30-2008 02:48 PM

I guess it's a little fun, except her grandparents are coming to visit next week and she's all balding, and we go to Canada to meet more grandparents and relatives and sigh...
oh well, she's just so pretty that they won't even notice that she's going all Fryer Tuck on me.

nolonger 03-30-2008 03:54 PM

I feel like we have to make an emergency hat run before I can go to the bank and the grocery store and that I should splurge on a really NICE hat to soften the blow because...well...it would be kind of rude NOT to if this were happening to anyone else in the family.

Terran is a baby. He doesn't care. He probably hasn't even noticed. I'm sure he isn't self conscious or embarassed about it.

He'll look better when he's all the way bald, but I definitely don't trust my clippers or my haircutting skills enough to hurry the process along.

We all have brown hair now with varying degrees of curl, but as small children, dd, ds1 and I all had "victorian angel" hair: very blonde, very fine, and curly. I'ds hoped the big kids had inherited enough of their father's Scandanavian genes to keep theirs, but they didn't.

I have a recessive gene for my mother's true spectacular Irish red hair (think Raggedy Ann) and I'm pretty sure I have some AA genes that are a deepdarksecret since Terran's donor is half white and my son is much darker than some of the other donor babes (half siblings? what do I call them?) with AA mothers.

The donor himself was also a blondie as a child and has dark brown curls as an adult.

It's not racism, it's aesthetics! He's just such a fun mixture of dna and his appearance could go in many different ways.

I did love the straight black hair, though. Bye bye, hair.

eilonwy 03-30-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I feel like we have to make an emergency hat run before I can go to the bank and the grocery store and that I should splurge on a really NICE hat to soften the blow because...well...it would be kind of rude NOT to if this were happening to anyone else in the family.
Heh. We need hats here, too, but not for any remotely asthetic reasons; Bear FLIPS if his head gets cold. I mean he just goes absolutely ballistic. And he's outgrown his hats, because you know, artificial milk makes babies grow a heck of a lot faster than breastmilk. He was my biggest baby at birth, but only by a few ounces; Now, at 8 weeks, he's about half a pound from Bean's weight at 14 weeks. Bear is the only one of my children to outgrow the 0-3 month size before he was 4 months old.

Quote:
We all have brown hair now with varying degrees of curl, but as small children, dd, ds1 and I all had "victorian angel" hair: very blonde, very fine, and curly. I'ds hoped the big kids had inherited enough of their father's Scandanavian genes to keep theirs, but they didn't.

I have a recessive gene for my mother's true spectacular Irish red hair (think Raggedy Ann) and I'm pretty sure I have some AA genes that are a deepdarksecret since Terran's donor is half white and my son is much darker than some of the other donor babes (half siblings? what do I call them?) with AA mothers.

The donor himself was also a blondie as a child and has dark brown curls as an adult.

It's not racism, it's aesthetics! He's just such a fun mixture of dna and his appearance could go in many different ways.

I did love the straight black hair, though. Bye bye, hair.
Genes are funny, funny things. I've always known that anything was up for grabs from my side. My eyes are an odd shade of brown (I say they're amber... I've seen amber in all the shades I've seen my eyes, and I've seen my eyes in most of the shades I've seen amber), and have been since I was fairly young (though I was born with the standard, caucasian-baby-slate-grey eyes). My hair is naturally a medium-dark auburn, and likewise naturally curly and very fine, my complexion in the light-to-medium neutral category. Mike's eyes are darker than mine, even though they're green in the middle (like, dark grass/leaf green and chocolate brown). His hair is the most dull shade of chocolate brown you can imagine. BooBah's coloring was a total shock-- the blue eyes we could wrap our heads around, but the blondness of her at birth was surprising and the golden-ness of her complexion still makes us go... hrm?!

Yeah, genes are odd. I'm still waiting for curls. I figure, half of the kids should have curly hair... and yet, we've yet to see a real curl last beyond toddlerhood (interesting, because my hair didn't curl until I was 9/10 months old, but it certainly hasn't *stopped*). Perhaps Bear's will curl. Everything's a wild guess with me in the mix, though. Any hair color, eye color, or skin color you can imagine.. the genes are in there, somewhere.

SweetyPotato 03-31-2008 12:09 PM

My ds was born with lots of dark hair that he mostly lost- he looked like a middle aged man with a seriously receding hairline as he mostly lost his hair on the top but the hair on the sides/back didn't completely fall out.

Now the baby girl has a head full of nice dark hair too. I was hoping that it would stay but sadly it has started to recede also. I feel silly and superficial, but I'm kind of sad. I know it's just hair but I was really hoping she wouldn't get that goofy Friar Tuck look like ds, LOL (Bald on top, some some hair clinging to the sides.) Oh well.

nolonger 03-31-2008 03:04 PM

Yea, that's how Terran's is falling out, and so suddenly! dd giggled as she said goodnight, "He looks like Granddad!"

The little point of remaining hair in the front of his forehead was gone by morning and the tiny little bit of fringe around his ear looks awful. He'll actually be quite a cute bald baby if it all comes out but I'm afraid of hurting him if I shave off what's left and it's just not worth it for MY vanity. I keep crying and saying "poor baby!" but the baby himself doesn't care.

We have a local artist who makes the cutest baby hats and I'm trying so hard not to buy one today. I've got an older kiddo who broke his car and his foot on the same day and that's really a more urgent issue than covering Terran's poor mangy looking little head.

I promise I'm not normally such a superficial person, but I spawn such beautiful children and the teens are both in recovery from their own hair disasters right now.

cicely_m 03-31-2008 03:44 PM

my little girl's hair is falling out from the back! i think she will be left with long thick hair on the top and nothing around the sides!!! maybe i can make it look punk rock eventually, but right now she does look like she has some horrible disease... i feel like i'm being punished for my vanity in telling her how much prettier she was than all of the baldies!!