Problems with your stitches? (TMI) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there have any problems with dissolveable stitches? Lily was born on 2/27 and I had 6-8 stitches put in that were supposed to go away in 7-10 days. They seemed to take about 14 days to go away in the more obvious perineal area. However, I've been feeling this strange, hard, bump just inside my vagina when I wash in the shower and figured it was scar tissue. Yesterday, when I felt it, it distinctly felt like a stitch. I had DH take a look and he confirmed it. That means I've had this stitch in for 30 days now and it hasn't dissolved .

I'm waiting on a call back from my OB's office but wondered if anyone has heard of or experienced and issue like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM

I'm 6 weeks PP and stitches have not dissolved yet. OB did not seem surprised, so I have an app't next week to have them removed.

She also suggested sitting in a warm/hot bath for 20 minutes every day.

My response was, "When am I going to find 20 minutes??"
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

what I wouldn't do for 20 minutes of quiet time is a short list! I have my 6 week follow up in a few weeks - let's cross our fingers for dissolved sutures by then since the thought of having them taken out doesn't seem as pleasant.

Thanks slgt!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Oh, wow. Glad I saw this thread. I never thought to check those things cuz I just figured they would dissolve. I am only 4 weeks PP. I had to get stitched in the cervix, vagina and perinium. I think I will try to check those tonight.

I do have a story about a cousin who had surgery and was stitched up in her vagina. Much later, while DTD with her DH, he suddenly screamed in pain and withdrew. They couldn't figure it out and since the mood was dead didn't resume. Some time later this scenario repeated itself so she made an appt with her gyno who found that there were some stitches still in place that needed to be removed. Poor guy.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 AM

crashing from June! I had dissolvable stitches after my oldest was born. They were still there at my 6 week pp visit, and my doc just snipped and pulled them out right there in the office. Not the most pleasant experience I've ever had, for sure.

Last March, I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage, and the cervical clamp tore my cervix a bit. I know for a fact (from checking my cervix myself) that those stitches stuck around for nearly 2 months.

I think the dissolving stitches just don't work on some women.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Mine are still there at 4.5 weeks post partum. My midwife said that we could trim them ourselves if they're annoying (trim -- not pull out!!).

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM

I am 5 weeks pp and some of the stitches have come out (I saw them on the toilet paper after wiping) and some are still in. I have my 6 week visit this week, and will see what she says.

User Tag List