Anyone else have forceful let-down/oversupply? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worked with a lactation consultant to get some holds/strategies to help Mia not have to GULP so hard, which helped, but I am totally astonished at how much my boobs leak. They'll literally spray milk across the room sometimes when I take off my shirt - even if I'm not feeding Mia. It amuses me immensely, though it's very messy...and it's rather bothersome when it happens and Mia's face is in the way...my poor soaked little girl!

Anyone else have this?
#2 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM

With dd, I would lay in bed and squirt up at the ceiling. Boy did I feel like Old Faithful!!! It diminished over time, and dd always knew how to deal with it. DS isn't quite so sure, so he just pulls off and gets sprayed in the face. I constantly smell like milk. But my breasts are less leaky this time. And with dd, the leaking/spraying did diminish over time. By the time she was a year, I could go without breast pads. And while I still need them with ds, they never fill up like they did with dd, so I think I'll be able to go without sooner.
#3 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

If spraying milk were an Olympic sport, I would be a contender! I agree - it is both amusing and annoying. DD usually pulls off when the spray begins, and waits for it to subside, grunting all the while. Or she beats my breast. I don't hold it against her .

DH finds it very entertaining when e.g. I get out of the shower and start spraying all over the place. Thank goodness we have wood floors and not carpeting!
#4 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Here! The good news is that the problem has calmed down a lot now (8 weeks) and it's never been as bad as it was with my first.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM

I used to keep a prefold diaper by to use to soak up milk..

it gets better overtime

& with me.. it got better subsequent babies ..
this time i never even had to wear breastpads at all!
#6 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 PM

I do have an overactive letdown, both with ds and dd. I feel a let down and they gasp and choke and pull off and my milk continues to just spray out in a fast, steady stream without any stimulation. I use a blanket or prefold to soak it up and then try again. If I am out in public I flip my bra back so my nursing pad soaks it up. I keep a chux pad under the fitted sheet on my side of the bed. It got better with time with ds and eventually nursing wasn't such a messy affair. I assume it will get better with dd, too.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#7 of 21 Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM

me too!

i really thought that stopping pumping would help (and it has a bit) but i still spray/leak way more than i did with my first.

i have to go back to work in a week and a half and i'm a teacher. that should be fun here's hoping no eighth grader decides to ask why my nipples are leaking... and that pads will be able to keep up with the garden hoses that are my nipples

eh. who needs a signature?
#8 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM

Crazy spray here, too!

DD is gaining weight like a weightlifter on protein, so I almost wonder sometimes if she is getting too many calories. Meals only take like 6 min on one side before she is done, and she NEVER wants the other side, and will cry and sputter when the milk is coming like crazy sometimes. If I am really full, I have to express some first just to get her ok with the amount.

LLL has some resources for helping with this if it is really affecting your babe. DD was having thin, greenish, foamy poops and apparently that is common when you have oversupply issues and they only ever get foremilk.

I always let her nurse on the side she emptied last for the next feeding, to make sure she is getting hindmilk first, and then will switch to the other side for the next feeding. Having each breast nursed on two feedings in a row and having the other one ignored for a long stretch of time has really helped to slow down production to an amount that she actually needs.

And her poops have gone back to a nice yellow, seedy consistency. Yea!
#9 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 PM

nak

i have this also, we have been block feeding. i think it is helping. i usually feed ds on one side for 2 feedings,sometimes 3 or until my breast feels empty. poor ds, i think he wants to comfort nurse sometimes but gets so mad b/c there is always milk there. I dont' ever spray unless i am pressing my let down into a towel but I do drip a lot!! ds used to be so soaked when he was first born...poor guy

anyone else still wear nursing pads?
i have to b/c there is always leakage, put they add up after awhile. i hve tried reusable ones but they dont hold as well for me.
now i have to mess wit my supply to pump to get ready for work. i would like to have a stash ready, but not looking forward to any kind of engorgement.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#10 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
And her poops have gone back to a nice yellow, seedy consistency
ds had these poops at first, now he poops every couple of days and they are yellow and like water...so weird. dr says its ok...anyone know?

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#11 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
LLL has some resources for helping with this if it is really affecting your babe. DD was having thin, greenish, foamy poops and apparently that is common when you have oversupply issues and they only ever get foremilk.

I always let her nurse on the side she emptied last for the next feeding, to make sure she is getting hindmilk first, and then will switch to the other side for the next feeding. Having each breast nursed on two feedings in a row and having the other one ignored for a long stretch of time has really helped to slow down production to an amount that she actually needs.

And her poops have gone back to a nice yellow, seedy consistency. Yea!
I've been starting to do this - her poops were definitely more greenish & foamy & they've been turning back to yellow (still more mustardy yellow rather than bright, & still a little foamy, but has some "seeds" in it again) so I think we're on the right track! I've got to make sure to remember which boob to use though. We'll see how today goes - she's been cluster-feeding like a maniac (every 45 minutes to an hour) - yeesh!
#12 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM

I have the same problem. And my baby has been very fussy and gassy as a result. I feel my milk let down like 500 times a day. It is stimulated by everything. I will see my 2 y.o. son do something cute, it lets down. My husband mentions sex, it lets down. My son does something that makes me proud, it lets down. I scarcely make it through the day without milk drenching the front of my shirt. I'm trying to remember when the leaking improved last time - I think by 3-4 mos?
#13 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
ds had these poops at first, now he poops every couple of days and they are yellow and like water...so weird. dr says its ok...anyone know?
My first was like that. They were seedy and then they weren't. If he went while I was changing him it would often hit a wall about a foot away. Very watery. HE was also very very colicky. I don't know if it has anything to do with that or not.
#14 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulupetalz View Post
I feel my milk let down like 500 times a day. It is stimulated by everything.
The weird thing for me is, I don't FEEL let down at all!! I just suddenly feel WET & then I look down & uhoh, there we go...I do notice that, like you, emotions touch it off. If I feel particularly overwhelmed with love (or worry, or anything), there go the waterworks. (milkworks!)
#15 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 PM

Allyn, I'm still wearing pads (reusable ones, life is too short to spend all that money on washables.) I always carry a muslin with me which gets wrapped around his shoulders when we're NIP- I have two or three tied onto my handbag- which is ostensibly in case he's sick. It's actually to absorb the mess I'm making

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 21 Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
The weird thing for me is, I don't FEEL let down at all!! I just suddenly feel WET & then I look down & uhoh, there we go...I do notice that, like you, emotions touch it off. If I feel particularly overwhelmed with love (or worry, or anything), there go the waterworks. (milkworks!)
I rarely felt it let down with my first baby, it was just as you describe. It is nice to have a little warning this time around, though.
#17 of 21 Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulupetalz View Post
I rarely felt it let down with my first baby, it was just as you describe. It is nice to have a little warning this time around, though.
So what does let down feel like?
#18 of 21 Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 AM

To me, let-down feels like a slight, tingly feeling. Its a quick sensation that is vaguely similar to the "pins and needles" feeling you get sometimes, but not painful.

And I am definitely still wearing breast pads. Honestly, I can't see my life without them for quite some time still. I don't always leak into them, but it is often enough and unexpected enough that I will just keep using them for a while.
#19 of 21 Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
So what does let down feel like?

I feel more of a stinging sensation and then a dull ache in the sides of my breasts.
#20 of 21 Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 AM

does it ever get any better?

ds doesn't nurse well at night, he is lazy so if i take him off to relatch him he usuallly just goes back to sleep. I have been waking up totally full the last few days and having to express my letdown into a towel to get him to eat. so he is still waking every 2 hours or so...maybe 3 to eat b/c all he gets in foremilk, but boy does he nurse during the day. I usually forget which side to feed on until he is already latched. i just wonder how daycare is going to be.

#21 of 21 Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

waaah, i just totally CHOKED mia! she gasped, spluttered, pulled off & started SCREAMING as 4 jets of milk spurted into her face & hair (and all over the couch)... sorry, baby!!!

i look forward to this calming down - though she's nursing hourly today, which i'm guessing won't help much...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page