Knitting Mommies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you knitting these days?? I knit like crazy before being pregnant and took a hiatus for whatever reason while pregnant. Now that he's out my fiber passion has returned and I've been knitting alot.

I'm working on the Lady Eleanor Stole from scraf style in Noro and Hello Yarn's Fiddlehead mittens. I've got plenty of other projects I'm thinking about too. A sweater for Eli for next winter and something for Kendall in some Malabrigo I bought. The colorway is called Shocking Pink-right up her alley. It's soooooo pink.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#2 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM

my skills are very limited, but i'm trying to make some organic cotton baby leg warmers. it's something i know he won't outgrow before i finish them, lol.
#3 of 16 Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post
What are you knitting these days??
Not in your DDC, but I've become an avid knitter this pregnancy! Check my blog below for what I've been knitting, maybe I'll give you some ideas! I've also finished 2 newborn hats in the last day and am now partway through a pair of longies. My babe is due in June so I'm having a hard time finding things to knit for summer! So I'm mostly focusing on 3-12 month sizes for next fall/winter. Which is also hard to do since we don't know the gender!
#4 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 AM

I'm working on Lizard Ridge, a top-down raglan for Isaac and a sweater (Labyrinth from Stitch Diva) for me- thanks Jenn (nausicaamom sent me a link to the pattern.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 AM

My two active projects right now are the said Labyrinth sweater from Stitch Diva and a toe-up sock adapted from Cookie A's Monkey on Knitty. Alex has been rather high needs recently and wanting to nurse a lot so there hasn't been too much knitting done recently.
#6 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM

I haven't knit a stitch since Twyla was born, but she seems like she's leaning towards an actual bedtime that isn't just when I go to sleep. So maybe soon. I need to do some baby legwarmers, too.
#7 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 PM

It looks like I'm the only one who can nurse-and-knit, but that's probably because I have the easiest project.

I just did a quick swatch to get the gauge, did knit two, purl two for the ribbing at the bottom and then stockinette for the body of the legwarmer, two rows of brown and then two rows of green for stripes.

It's going well, I just keep putting it down to work on sewing projects or other things that seem more urgent. I knit myself a scarf in a week right after Christopher ran away in December of 2006 and then started a shawl which I worked on so infrequently that it was a baby blanket by the time I finished it.

My last knitting project beforen that was an afghan (blanket for a king sized bed) that I made in squares which I brought to homeschooling park day. I think it took me five years, but I did finish it. I also made two sweaters when I was a young teen, one of which I still wear.
#8 of 16 Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM

i'm working on something for myself finally. i finished the berry tart hat from knitty for linnaea and of course i made it super sized so she wouldn't grow out of it before i finished it and of course it won't fit for like another year!

my current project is the bellcurve skirt from knitty winter 07. i'm using a different yarn than the one given with the pattern so i've had to make lots of adjustments.

i just realized how annoying the star stitch is for this pattern (i have to knit 5 together and yarn over and knit the same five again and then yo again and then knit the five together again) which is kind of a bummer since i have to do this like five hundred more times before i finish the skirt.

in fact, i actually considered quiting after doing the second round but decided against it since it looks so cool when it's done.

eh. who needs a signature?
#9 of 16 Old 04-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Ooh, i love that pattern. I am really loving star stitch these days, Playamama, especially in variegated yarn.
NOS, I can't knit with him in arms but I can spin, so I've been spending a lot of time at my wheel. I'm just not posting pictures anywhere much because I'm mostly spinning oatmeal laceweight shetland, and once you've seen it once, you've seen it all : I'm working on a pattern for submission/ publication, too.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 16 Old 04-05-2008, 04:08 AM

I haven't had time to knit either, I have half of a sock done that I am working on for emily... I wish I could finish them for her. Poor girl has been so sweet lately helping me out a lot.

Wow Tanya you have made some beautiful things!
#11 of 16 Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Ooh, i love that pattern. I am really loving star stitch these days, Playamama, especially in variegated yarn.
thanks for the encouragement!! the yarn i'm using is Lorna's Laces superwash wool in bittersweet. which is purple, pink, orange and red. it looked awesome in the test swatch i did.

that's so cool that you know how to spin! the more i've gotten into knitting the more i want to raise sheep and spin and dye wool. of course, i know nothing about how to do any of it but it's fun to imagine. how long did it take you to learn how to spin?

eh. who needs a signature?
#12 of 16 Old 04-06-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm still learning, really. I've been spinning for nearly two years now- I got my spindle for my birthday, late in April, and my wheel was a Christmas present. I love it, though- it's so calming.

#13 of 16 Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
my skills are very limited, but i'm trying to make some organic cotton baby leg warmers. it's something i know he won't outgrow before i finish them, lol.
NOS - do you have any simple patterns you can share for these? I've been looking but haven't had any luck. My talkent is somewhat limited too but I think I'm ready to start trying to knit in the round *eek!*.

I haven't knit since Lily was born but I'm anxious to start again .

I'm thinking some cute pants/leggins for my peanut to get her through the transitional new england weather!
#14 of 16 Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM

There are a lot of ideas for legwarmers here. Mine are going to have the seam up the side because i don't have any round needles and I thought it would be easier that way. The only "pattern" I used was to measure the commercial Babylegs(tm) and knit a swatch to get some sort of a gauge. I wound up doing ribbed cuffs of knit two, purpl two and stockinette for the main part of the legwarmer. I still haven't gotten motivated enough to untangle the yarn and see how it turned out!
#15 of 16 Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM

I made a pair for a friends DD using the sock of doom pattern from sock wars a few years ago: cast on a multiple of 6. k1p1 ribbing, then a row of k3p3. Next row k1p1 (repeat to end) then keep alternating the k3p3 and k1p1 rows to the end. Great texture, and it's probably the stretchiest rib I've ever seen...

#16 of 16 Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks NOS! I'm going to take a better look at the legwarmers link you sent tomorrow since it'll be raining.

Flapjack, the sweater link you sent (months ago) was amazing and the first non-scarf project I did. I'm going to see what I can do with your pattern and some beautiful organic yarn from the farmers market. I'm guessing it would be better to work with smaller yarn and I have just the stuff! What size needles do you use? I'm thinking 4's possibly.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page