March '08 Homebirths - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So who else is planning a home birth (with midwife or unassisted)?

I just called my midwife and I'll be going in to see her this Friday. My last baby came five weeks early and we had an unsatisfactory hospital birth... but fingers crossed for a peaceful homebirth this time!
#2 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM

We are undecided. DEMs/CPMs are illegal in my state, and the two CNMs who are in this part of the state have told me I live too far away. Our options are UC or hospital birth with a pretty good family doctor. Last time, we went for the UC but ended up transferring to the hospital. The transfer was no fun, but we had the family doc and it was a natural birth. I got there so late it was pushing time. But there were a lot of things that could have been different/better (and worse, which is why it make deciding so difficult).

I *think* that, ideally, we would interview a bunch of midwives and do a homebirth. But since that's not an option, we're still undecided. My best friend is almost through with med school and applying to OB-gyn residency, and if she can fit it in her schedule she said she'd attend me at home (pretty much wait in another room unless I need her type of scenario). But I think that's pretty unlikely because of distance and scheduling.

So I dunno. Anyone else in a similar situation?
#3 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

I'm looking for a midwife in ga. I really want a homebirth with midwife for this baby. I had an ob/hospital birth with my first and would like to do a hb this time.
#4 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM

I am planning my 3rd homebirth with a midwife. I am also in GA, a state where CPM's have illegal status, but it is more than worth it to me. Besides, it's not illegal to have a hb here, but for a mw to attend you. The legal issues are on her side, not yours. I am also an apprentice midwife married to a police officer so legal issues??? After my first 2 were hospital born, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

ryder - if you are looking for local mw info, you can email or pm me.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#5 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulanichole View Post
I am planning my 3rd homebirth with a midwife. I am also in GA, a state where CPM's have illegal status, but it is more than worth it to me. Besides, it's not illegal to have a hb here, but for a mw to attend you. The legal issues are on her side, not yours. I am also an apprentice midwife married to a police officer so legal issues??? After my first 2 were hospital born, I can't imagine doing it any other way.
Through MDC, a former illegal midwife passed my info on to the DEM/CPM private yahoo list. No one was interested in talking to me. So I've even tried to find the illegals and failed. I may try again, but it is my understanding that there are no illegal practicing midwives within 3 hours of where I live, unless a midwife from another state (where it would be legal for her) is willing to risk crossing the border and attending me. Even then, it would still be at least 2 hours distant. Is there something else I'm not thinking of?

Julia
#6 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM

doulanichole I pm'ed you

Ryder
#7 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Julia - obviously you have some real serious obstacles, but since I have no idea where you are it is more difficult. Have you contacted MANA? Been on the Midwifery Today forums? There are tons of resources out there, but your location may prove to be a real limitation. If you are comfortable pm'ing me, I am happy to ask around and see what I can find in your area.

Ryder - I responded to your PM.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#8 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM

I'll be having my second homebirth with a CPM.

Ryder - Are you anywhere close to TN?
#9 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM

No, I am on the Ga/ SC border. 21/2 hrs from Atlanta, 31/2 hrs from Asheville, NC.
#10 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 PM

Oh well, we have quite a few midwives in TN.
#11 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM

if I am for sure pregnant (I'm almost positive I am, but that's a whole 'nother topic) we are UCing. DH may want a dem present to sit in the corner, we haven't decided.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#12 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm in AR and Homebirthing. After a nightmare of a hospital birth with DS I simply refuse to go to the Hospital.
#13 of 87 Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm in AR and Homebirthing. After a nightmare of a hospital birth with DS I simply refuse to go to the Hospital.
#14 of 87 Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 AM
jmo

I just found out I'm pg a few days ago and planning a homebirth. I had a good birth center birth w/ dd 2 years ago, but am really looking forward to staying home this time. I'm hoping to start interviewing mws next week.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#15 of 87 Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 AM

I got a positive test today, and I'm going to call midwives tomorrow. I need to get progesterone and find someone comfortable with assisting twins at home because twins run in the family. There are 13 midwives who do home births & are covered by my insurance, so I'm hoping at least one is willing to talk to me
#16 of 87 Old 07-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Banned

We're planning a home birth. In New Zealand midwives are the norm, and free(!), so I'm going to the local home birth association's coffee morning next week to talk to the midwives there.
#17 of 87 Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM

We are planning a homebirth. DS was a beautiful birthing center birth, but we barely made it, as I was pushing in the car. So, better be safe and just stay home this time! We have incredible insurace thanks to DH and everything will be paid 100%!!!
#18 of 87 Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 AM

As long as my health holds out, I'm up for my 3rd HB!!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#19 of 87 Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM

planning UA HB here

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#20 of 87 Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM

I am hoping for a homebirth. I left a message for my Midwife today. Then H came home and started talking about how he's "uncomfortable" with the idea.:

I am hopping mad since I've been talking about HB for a year and yet he's never shown any interest. Now he's all full of concern. I got some books out of the library (again!) and tried to read some to him. He's not really interested though. He picked up PC Magazine!!

I don't know what to do with him. I hope he gets with the program before we meet with the midwife - I know she'll want him to be supportive....

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#21 of 87 Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 PM

I'm really starting to think about UC. I can't use a midwife here because they are outlaws
I'm kinda scared about a UC. What all do I need for it? I'm also wanting to use water birth too. I guess I have a while to plan for it and prepare us for it. It would be a lot easier than loading ds up for the hospital and waiting on someone to get there to watch him.

I need a UC coach and mentor I guess. :
#22 of 87 Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 AM

We'll be having another homebirth with our beloved midwives. I loved my last birth, and I'm really looking forward to another!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#23 of 87 Old 07-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelly View Post
I am hoping for a homebirth. I left a message for my Midwife today. Then H came home and started talking about how he's "uncomfortable" with the idea.:

I am hopping mad since I've been talking about HB for a year and yet he's never shown any interest. Now he's all full of concern. I got some books out of the library (again!) and tried to read some to him. He's not really interested though. He picked up PC Magazine!!

I don't know what to do with him. I hope he gets with the program before we meet with the midwife - I know she'll want him to be supportive....
Oh, mama.. That sucks. My DH is iffy about it too, but I just told him that it's statistically safer to birth at home. If you can find an article from a somewhat mainstream news source I'm sure he'll be more open to reading it. I know my DH is put off by the info I want to give him when it isn't in a pretty easy to digest form.

Assure him that if you need to make the transition to a hospital that you'll do it. That's my DH's concern. He's afraid that I'm going to need the medical gods to come down and save me at the crucial moment.. Fortunately for us, the super dramatic pivotal moment of the savior is a myth. When there are problems they are easily recognized by an experienced midwife. The facts are, though, that it is safer for you and baby both. There is no reason for him to worry.
#24 of 87 Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM

I'll birth probably in February or March, depending on how long this one needs to stay put. My first two were born in the hospital, and it was a really horrible experience, both times. My third was born UC. I chose UC primarily for safety, and wasn't disappointed. It was a long hard birth, but the baby and I were in great shape when it was done, unlike my first two births that left mom and baby in bad shape.

This time around I might hire a Midwife, if I find just the right one. I don't want a lot of medical things, and will need someone who can keep their hands to themselves. DH will be in Iraq, and I do want someone around who is sensible about birth. So, my best bet to keep things non medical, this time, may be a MW. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

I've had some light bleeding, but so far so good.

Kiley
#25 of 87 Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
I'm really starting to think about UC. I can't use a midwife here because they are outlaws
I'm kinda scared about a UC. What all do I need for it? I'm also wanting to use water birth too. I guess I have a while to plan for it and prepare us for it. It would be a lot easier than loading ds up for the hospital and waiting on someone to get there to watch him.

I need a UC coach and mentor I guess. :

I bought all kinds of birth supplies for my UC and didn't use most of them. I could easily have done it with only things I already had around the house. The one item I used was the sharp scissors to cut the cord. It was VERY tough, but I could have done it with a clean kitchen knife. Stainless steel bowls are good for the placenta. Arnica was good for bruising in my perineum afterward. It's nice to have something disposable, like depends underwear, or chux pads, for after the birth or during the birth if you are on dry land.

I set up a birth pool, but used my bathtub instead. At that time I had a very large tub that worked well for me. This time I don't so I'll set up a pool, and probably even use it.

Kiley
#26 of 87 Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
Oh, mama.. That sucks. My DH is iffy about it too, but I just told him that it's statistically safer to birth at home. If you can find an article from a somewhat mainstream news source I'm sure he'll be more open to reading it. I know my DH is put off by the info I want to give him when it isn't in a pretty easy to digest form.

Assure him that if you need to make the transition to a hospital that you'll do it. That's my DH's concern. He's afraid that I'm going to need the medical gods to come down and save me at the crucial moment.. Fortunately for us, the super dramatic pivotal moment of the savior is a myth. When there are problems they are easily recognized by an experienced midwife. The facts are, though, that it is safer for you and baby both. There is no reason for him to worry.
Thank you. This is what I told him. We are meeting with the midwife on the 21st so hopefully he can talk to her and it will put him at ease. We are only 10 mins from a hospital with an ER so I keep telling him I'll transfer if needed and it's just as fast as if you were in the hospital where they don't immediately blink you from room to surgery - it takes time!

I think for him a big problem is going to be other people's reactions. No one we know is the sort to birth at home. They are going to be shocked and outraged when we tell them. I am actually planning on telling as few people about the HB as possible until it's done.

Thanks for the reply though, it's nice to get support.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#27 of 87 Old 07-07-2007, 03:52 AM

Stelly- your DH sounds like mine.

I have been researching UC/ homebirth for months now and really want a homebirth with a midwife. My DH doesn't get it but won't read the info I give him. Maybe I should schedule a meeting with a Midwife too. I'm not very good at explaining things and answering his questions and if he won't read about it maybe talking with a Midwife is the answer.

I wish you luck with convincing your DH. I think alot of it has to do with their masculine, "I will protect you at all costs", mindset. They're really good guys who just need to come to terms with the fact that HOSPITAL DOES NOT EQUAL SAFE!

-Cheri
#28 of 87 Old 07-09-2007, 04:38 PM

I had my first in a birthing center with a midwife. I am now planning to have a homebirth with this one. I need to find a midwife that I am comfortable with, but I am glad there are many wonderful midwives in Dallas!
#29 of 87 Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

I'm hoping to have a homebirth this time. With my first baby I planned a homebirth but ended up transferring during labor. I have an appointment with my midwife next week.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#30 of 87 Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 AM

Homebirth here, except my midwife is moving to Costa Rica! I need to find a replacement, asap!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page