carrier shopping spree : ) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since there is already a diaper shopping thread, I thought I would start a carrier thread! I am pretty set for diapers, and though I love them, I find shopping for carriers much more fun.

I have already told my husband that this baby won't cost us anything, so I am splurging on carriers. I have a maya wrap that I love and I New Native that I loved for a few months when ds was small. So I guess I need a wrap and a mei tai. What should I buy! I might get a hot sling too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM

Ohhh, yah--I want a hot sling too.

I've got a maya wrap (ring sling) and an ergo. Love 'em both, but I really want an ellaroo or moby this time around.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Oh .. I want a wrap .. moby or similar ,, i have a ring sling and mei tai carrier made by a friend .. I would also love a beco :
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM

I was never was able to use a carrier with ds due to his casts, then bar he wore for clubfoot treatment, so this time I really hope to. I love this WAHM's Mei-Tai's: http://www.kandfshops.com/gallery.ph...ry_store&VG=91 I really hope to get one.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM

The real reason I want another baby is so I have an excuse to buy more carriers

I have a hotsling pouch, a zolowear silk ring sling, a babyfairies mei tei, and an ergo. They were all great for certain periods (except the ring sling which was either too hot or too cumbersome most of the time), but we've gotten the most use out of the ergo.

My friend is lending me her moby wrap, and if I like it I want to get a gypsymama bali breeze wrap for the summer. I kind of want a babyhawk, but I don't know if I need two mei teis.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I really want a Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Stretch and a Babyhawk with this fabric. I'm not going to buy anything for quite a while though just in case. I've never suffered a loss before but you just never know what's going to happen.

Kate - Mama to Max (13), Noah (11), James (9) and Isabelle (6)
Old 07-21-2007, 04:06 PM

I love the designs of the Hotsling, but be very careful to get the right size. I had a big baby, so I was never able to wear mine. I'm 5'8" and pre-prego 150lbs, I ordered a 4, but really should have got the 5. The extra room would have helped with my big baby.

We also purchased the ERGO when DS was older (12mnths), but I absolutely LOVE it!! I just purchased one for a friend with the infant insert and she loves it! Her little one looks so cute in it. It was well worth the money!!

I also saw a few patterns online for the Mei-Tai and really want to try to make one this time around. They are very similar to the ERGO, just a little less padding, but they seem to fit more snug for the infants.

We also were given a Baby Bjorn.....YUCK! Had I only known at the time (1st time baby, had to have it...not knowing anything about other carriers). My son looked so pathetic in it, since he was such a big baby. By 1 week he was 10lbs. And for the price!!! Don't do it~ Use the money to by an ERGO!!
Old 07-21-2007, 04:33 PM

So far I have a "Pea in a Pod" adjustable pouch, two wahm ring slings, and just purchased a velvet Sachi MT and another MT that haven't arrived yet. My collection still needs a couple of Moby wraps and at least one Didymos. I think I'm going to prefer the wraps to the slings, but I think my husband will prefer the slings, which is why I got them.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerawo View Post
The real reason I want another baby is so I have an excuse to buy more carriers
That's what dh says about me too! I have 2 ring slings - a Maya and a homemade one from a friend - and those worked great for ds. Dh actually liked the Bjorn, too, when ds was really small. But this time I'd like to experiment more... I'll be checking here to see what is beloved by you all. I have given Hotslings to some fashion-conscious friends but didn't hear more about how they worked (= not used much?).
Old 07-21-2007, 06:01 PM

I'm wanting to get a moby d in black

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM

Oh this is my kind of thread. I pretty much have my carrier stash complete. I make most of my own carriers, but I have a great bunch of Didymos, and a couple of Hoppidez on the way. I am a bit ashamed to admit I have probably way more then I need.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM

I love my ring slings!! I make my own to match my outfits. I love 'em!

I'd really like to get a wrap this time...actually, I'd like to make a wrap this time. Anyone know of a good pattern?

Emily

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Ergo's are the best!! We used a T-Shirt material wrap (homemade) when DS was tiny.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 PM

My #1 recommendation is an Ergo.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM

I think you can make a wrap by just getting however much length of the fabric you want. Like let's say you wanna size 6 diddy. I think you would get like 4.6 meters? Is that right. I've never been with converting/measuring.
As far as carriers go. I sold all of mine before I got preggo. Well except my tsaitsai MT. LOVE it. I think I'm going to make a wrap out of some gauze. And make a ring sling and pouch. I'm going to be one busy lady!!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM

I have a serious carrier problem.

I have a moby, an ergo, a mamma's milk sling, a mei tai I made, a sling I made, and dh has the baby bjorn and the backpack. The ergo is my #1 favorite, followed by the moby and the sling in the beginning

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 07-23-2007, 12:13 AM

What materials lend themselves better to making wraps? What's this about gauze?

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 AM

I'm a carrier addict too!

So far I have 2 ring slings, a moby, a gypsy mama wrap, an ellaroo mei tai, a new native pouch, a peanut shell, and an ergo... I know I want another ring sling and I can't wait to start looking at fabrics!

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM

oh my... now i'm even more confused...lol

18 years ago, i had a snuggli... it was "eh" and then I made a couple of ring slings for her and my NINE year old when she came along...
I was never fully happy with either of them and have been looking around at what kind of carrier I wanted with this baby...
THE CHOICES THE CHOICES!!!
What I need is to be able to try each of them for a day...lol.

in other words... I'm undecided.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
What I need is to be able to try each of them for a day...lol.
Do you have a local babywearing group? Ours has a carrier library so you can borrow them to try what you like.

We have an ergo and a mei tai. I just bought a Maya sling at a consignment sale. I'd love a Babyhawk, and really like the ones from Serene Terrene too. I'd also like to try a wrap. Oh, and a podaegi-I'd like to try one of those too. Probably I'd just like to try them all.

User Tag List