Cramping, spotting but baby looks great?!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, this is my first time posting so bear with me. I am 8.5 weeks pregnant with my second little one, DS is 20 months. Yesterday morning I began experiencing mild to severe cramps in the left lower quadrant/hip area. I called my doctor and they suggested I go to the ER. Once at the ER I realized that I was bleeding. Not tons of blood, but enough to feel alarmed. Anyway, a vaginal ultrasound revealed a lovely little heartbeat and the baby seems to be in the right place. I am relieved that the ultrasound looked good, but I don't understand what would cause this. The ER doc sent me home and just said to "watch for any further sypmtoms". I have an appt with a great NP on Monday so until then I wait....

So far today I haven't experienced cramping or bleeding. Any thoughts?
#2 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:38 PM

I had this happen with my 2nd and everything ended up being fine. I never found out what caused it but now ds is 18 months old and I'm pregnant again so... My advice is to just take it easy and keep an eye on things and try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done, I know). Keep us updated with how things are going!
#3 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Sorry for such a scary day, but so glad everything turned out fine. s

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#4 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM

glad everything is ok momma
#5 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM

I'm not in your DDC but I'm facing the same thing right now. I'm 12 weeks along and I've been cramping for 3+ weeks with a little bit of spotting. We've had some concerns with a low heart rate (maybe a fluke?) but yesterday our little bean was jumping all over the place with a healthy heart. I'm going to get a diagnostic ultrasound tomorrow to see if there is anything explainable going on like the placenta being in a weird place or anything. I'll bookmark this and let you know what I find out. Hopefully we're just weird and there's nothing to worry about.

Blessed to be married to my awesome husband since 2006.
Mama to Aidan Robert (Valentine's Day 2008) and Cora Ruth (3-13-2010) :
#6 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM

A significant minority of women (I want to say 20% but don't know if that's right or have the stats to back it up) have bleeding during early pregnancy that turns out to be no big deal. Thus, bleeding and crampy feelings can be considered normal in some cases in early pregnancy. It's hard when you can't point to a concrete why, but that doesn't change the fact that, given the reassuring u/s, it's likely normal for you in this pregnancy.
#7 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM

How scary!

I had a similiar experience with my 3rd DD. It turned out that the sharp pain in my side was caused from a cyst that ruptured. Did they check your ovaries? Ruptured cysts are very common in early pregnancy. I guess the hormones make cysts grow as well as babies.

I'm glad everything looks okay!
#8 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input! I am trying not to worry- but easier said than done. : ) My morning sickness and fatigue has not subsided, at all, so that is somewhat reassuring. No new cramping and only very light spotting yesterday.

As I said, I have an appt on Monday afternoon. I will keep you all posted....
#9 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM

Well, my appointment went well so I hope yours does too!!

The ultrasound technician said that the spotting and cramping could have been the placenta coming away from the wall a tiny bit. She said it often will heal itself but you might pass some blood due to clotting.

If your baby looks fine it's probably something will resolve itself. They did check my ovaries because of what someone said above about cysts, so it's worth a look. Good luck!!

#10 of 14 Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All. Well everything is fine and the baby looks great and measuring just right. My NP said that I may never know the reason for last weeks cramping and bleeding. So here's to 6.5 uneventful months!!
#11 of 14 Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM

yay!!

#12 of 14 Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Congratulations -- glad the baby looks good and you're doing better. That spotting...another one of those pregnancy mysteries...

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#13 of 14 Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Yea!! I'm glad to hear that everything is looking good! I know you must feel so relieved.
#14 of 14 Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabosf View Post
Hi All. Well everything is fine and the baby looks great and measuring just right. My NP said that I may never know the reason for last weeks cramping and bleeding. So here's to 6.5 uneventful months!!
Glad to read your good news update! I had significant spotting and cramping with my second pregnancy at about 10 weeks. I went for an ultrasound and it showed two beautiful, beating hearts. I went on to deliver sweet baby girls at full term. Here's to all of us having happy, healthy pregnancies and beyond.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page