Boost your post count thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are worried you won't be able to get in on the swaps (must be a member for 6 months[sorry mamas!] and have 150 posts) then post away here and hopefully you can get in! It worked when I was in the Nov. ddc.

So here are some questions to start you off:

*Do you have a garden?

*What about names? Any picked out yet?

*What is your favorite childhood memory?

*Will you be finding out the sex of the baby?

*What kind of car do you drive?

*What will the weather be like where you live when the babes are born?

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 PM

I need a few more posts to get into a different section, so I'll bite.

We'll definitely be finding out the sex of the baby. I really think it's a girl, but everyone has been telling me it's a boy, so we'll see. We have names picked out for each, but I'm not telling.

We're up in the hills, so it'll be pretty cold and snowy until BabyGatherer is about 3 months.

Oh, and I bought a crib and changing table today that I found on Ebay. We met to do the dropoff at a mall I don't go to often, and there was a Carters store there. So I also spent $50 on baby clothes. I got a lot for that much though, because they were $3.99 per item, and some were multipacks!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Jilly,
I have over 400 posts and still no access to TP. I wonder if they require 6 months' membership? In the Feb group, we're doing all swaps through a yahoo group that we made.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

ohhh don't you LOVE the new stuff from Carter's?! I'm going to their outlet on Labor Day (like I do every year lol) and I've got some money saved just for that!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

huh I don't know lauren, I was quoting that from the other thread....I'll go peek and see.

ok, for the trading post:
Quote:
The Trading Post and its subforums are community service forums for members of MDC. You must meet the criteria of being a registered member for more than 60 days and have posted a minimum of 50 posts to the MDC boards before you may post to this forum and its subforums.
and the swaps:
Quote:
Access to the board is restricted to members who have been registered for 6 months and have at least 150 posts.
so lauren, I have no idea why you can't see it! Maybe pm one of the mods.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure I'll be doing any swaps (not fond of handing out my address ). But I'll play along anyway.

*Do you have a garden?
Yes. We rent a house on a rocky ledge and have only been here 2 summers, so its a young garden, and kind of tough going at that (rocky soil & steep slopes) But I enjoy begging free perrianials from friends and family & I'm hoping for a lot of stuff to fill in next year. I also have a special garden I planted for my baby girl who died.

Nope. I don't even want to think about it. Not til the baby's here.

I (and my 4 sibs) grew up next door to my 7 cousins and some of my favorite memories are playing kick-the-can or capture-the-flag with them and some of the other neighborhood kids, and our moms would all have a bell to ring for us to come in for supper or when it got dark. It was kind of cool the way everyone recognized the sound of everyone else's "come home" bell.

I don't think so.

Toyota Sienna

Probably pretty icky. March around here tends to mean cold rain or heavy snows.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 AM

I wish I could figure out gardening. I've always been a city girl, so now that I'm living in the 'burbs I have no idea what to do with my property. My front garden looks like a jungle right now. It's so overgrown I have to push branches aside to get to my front door. Last year we tilled under a whole strip that was covered in thistle, and I trimmed everything down. This year the thistle came back up and everything is more overgrown that ever before. I really don't know what to do about it.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 AM

Hey I have some questions that might be useful for the swap...

1) Is this your first baby?

a) If no, how closely spaced will this one be with your older kids?

2) If you find out the gender, will you be announcing it? (Either to friends/family/or us)

3) Do you have names chosen?

a) Will you share those names with anyone?

4) Will you or a partner be staying home with this baby?

5) Do you have any pets?

a) How many and what kind?

6) Do you have any particular hobby?

a) What is it? How long have you been doing it? Is/was it hard to learn?

7) What are your favorite colors for yourself? For your baby? For your home?

8) Will you be CDing or sposies or EC or some combination?

9) What pregnancy/birth/baby preparation books do you have/have you read?

a) What pregnancy/birth/baby preparation book would you recommend to a first time mom?

10) What kind of birth are you hoping/planning for?

a) Does your partner support your desire/choice?

11) Will any family/friend (other than partner) be staying with you after the birth?

a) Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

12) What kinds of food do you plan to pre-cook for after the birth?

a) Would you be willing to share recipes with the rest of us? (Hey, if enough people want to share recipes, that could be a new sticky, cause I know I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a million lasagnas...)

(yes I know some of the questions are repeats but oh well. )
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 AM

Ok, so count me in too.....I've been on for awhile and just assumed I would have enough posts. WRONG~ I need way too many, but want to attempt anyways~

We don't have any baby names picked out. I think we will just wait until we find out what it is.

I like to garden and really wish I was better than I am, but I'm learning. Every year has been better than the previous year, so I guess I can be proud of that. Here's the weird thing this year........I have BEAUTIFUL strawberry plants in my garden.....huge full leaves and plants, but absolutely no berries??? Is that weird, or did I just buy the plants that don't flower until next year (is that even possible)? I also planted Zuchini and Squash, and a pumpkin. Alaska has very long sunny days, so those plants usually do very well. They are huge too and have been flowering all summer, except with no veggies??? They are suppose to flower and then right behind the flower the veggie grows, but not on these?? Could there be something wrong with my soil?

ARG~ That's why I like to Garden, but don't LOVE it yet~

Alisa
Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Hey I have some questions that might be useful for the swap...

2) If you find out the gender, will you be announcing it? (Either to friends/family/or us)

5) Do you have any pets?

a) What pregnancy/birth/baby preparation book would you recommend to a first time mom?

11) Will any family/friend (other than partner) be staying with you after the birth?

a) Would you be willing to share recipes with the rest of us? (Hey, if enough people want to share recipes, that could be a new sticky, cause I know I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a million lasagnas...)

(yes I know some of the questions are repeats but oh well. )
Answering my own questions cause I feel like it.

1) No

a) My daughter will be about 2.5 when this one is born.

2) Yes.

3) We have a girl name chosen, still undecided about a boy name.

a) Girl - Winter Rose; Boy - torn between Cael White, Victor Cael, Vincent Cael, and ***** Cael. DH also likes Relic (: ), I also like Liam.

4) I am a SAHM.

5) We just had to sell our puppy due to neighbor complaints about him. (We couldn't let him outside except between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm because if he barked, even once, the neighbors would call the landlords, etc.)

6) I try to knit.

7) Fav. color for myself is purple; for my daughter is blues/greens/yellows, for the baby I don't know yet but I'm kinda leaning towards reds/oranges/yellows/browns; for the house, reds/oranges/yellows.

8) Some combination. I'm knitting some wool soakers, we have some newborn sposies leftover from my daughter, and I like the thought of ECing...used it with my daughter for about 6 months, so we'll see.

9) None this time around - just Adventures of Tandem Nursing.

10) Either a VBAC or a scheduled c-section...we'll see how things go. I would LOVE a HBAC but my DH isn't on board with that.

11) I'm hoping my mom and step mom will each be able to come down for 2 weeks, but we'll see - it's hard since I live in Germany and they're in the States.

a) Yes, it will be a very good thing if they get to come.

12) I don't know of anything except lasagna that's freezable. I'm hoping others will be able to volunteer some recipes!!! My DH can't cook anything that doesn't come in a take-out box.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaparrent View Post
I have BEAUTIFUL strawberry plants in my garden.....huge full leaves and plants, but absolutely no berries???
Do you have rabbits? One little bunny can make all your strawberries disappear before you even know you have them. I refer to lots of my plants -- like the pansies -- as "bunny food". I even planted lettuce to see if I could get the bunny to eat that instead, but noooo...he likes tender little flowers. And all the strawberries. Yep. He ate them all.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:43 AM

*Do you have a garden? No. I planted some shoots from my grandmother's blackberry vines, but I think the TX heat killed them. We'll see next year if they show back up.

*What about names? Any picked out yet? No boy names, but we really like Keaton Rebecca for a girl. I also like the name Lily for a girl, and William (Will) for a boy, but those will take some convincing.

*What is your favorite childhood memory? Learning how to sew with my Granny.

*Will you be finding out the sex of the baby? Most likely. I would like not to, but historically, we've had so many scans that we know what we're looking at, and we'll have so many scans with this one that I'm not sure how we could miss it. We'll see...still have to decide.

*What kind of car do you drive? 2006 Honda CR-V

*What will the weather be like where you live when the babes are born? Just past hot and making its way back to hot. Actually, it will probably be relatively mild in March. It's Aug in TX and we just had our first official heat advisory two months overdue. Maybe in March it will be nice.

1) Is this your first baby? No

a) If no, how closely spaced will this one be with your older kids? My son will be 7.5 and my daughter will be nearly 6.

2) If you find out the gender, will you be announcing it? (Either to friends/family/or us) Probably. We're terrible at keeping secrets.

a) Will you share those names with anyone? Probably. Again, the secret thing.

4) Will you or a partner be staying home with this baby? I am a SAHM.

5) Do you have any pets? No.

a) How many and what kind? DH wants a dog, but first I get wood floors.

6) Do you have any particular hobby? Scrapbooking

a) How long have you been doing it? 5 years

b) Is/was it hard to learn? No

7) What are your favorite colors for yourself? green

For your baby? muted colors -- yellows, greens, pinks, purples

For your home? taupe, cranberry, muted greens, rusty orange

8) Will you be CDing or sposies or EC or some combination? combo. I would like to CD exclusively, but DH wans some sposies.

9) What pregnancy/birth/baby preparation books do you have/have you read? Nothing good.

10) What kind of birth are you hoping/planning for? A quick an easy one. Will have to have my first c-section because of this transabdominal cerclage. I've only ever delivered vaginally, so I'm sort of worried, but the TAC is necessary to remain pregnant, so the birth option is a small sacrifice for the opportunity to have a live, healthy baby.

a) Does your partner support your desire/choice? Yes. Again, live, healthy baby. We're both all for it.

11) Will any family/friend (other than partner) be staying with you after the birth? I hope not.

a) Is that a good thing or a bad thing? It would be a bad thing. Entertaining others is not my idea of relaxation, and those who would stay with me aren't thoughtful enough to be there to care for me.

12) What kinds of food do you plan to pre-cook for after the birth? I have this really great cookbook: The Everything Meals for a Month Cookbook. I will be preparing some things for the freezer from that. Also, one thing alot of women band together and do with newly born baby families around here is buy a package from The Dinner Station or another meal prep company. The dinners are about $10 each to feed a famiily of 4-5, and while that's pricier than cooking a casserole yourself, it convenient, and hey, someone else is paying for it, right?

a) Would you be willing to share recipes with the rest of us? I don't particularly want to copy the recipes, but I bought the book at Borders for like $17, and it's really easy to follow.

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 PM

Good idea!

*Do you have a garden?
Yes, although it's currently dormant in the Florida Summer. I'll ressurrect it in October.

No. And DH refuses to discuss anything until the big u/s.

Probably going to Disney World, and not being able to sleep the night before.

Yes. I have no patience.

A 2004 Mazda 3.

March is a weird month in Florida. Very windy. Sometimes cold, sometimes hot. It depends all on the cold fronts.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:01 PM

No, second.

Two years apart exactly.

Yes. I'll announce the gender, but not the names.

No! Stupid Dh. lol.

Family only.

Me, I'm a WAHM.

5) Do you have any pets?
No.

I had a kitty until April, when we had to put her to sleep due to cancer.

Web design, although it's a profession, really. I love sewing cloth diapers. Sewing anything, actually.

There's a learning curve to sewing, especially diapers. I've been doing it for almost 2 years.

Light blue for me and DS. For my home, natural Earthy colors. Browns, tans, dark greens.

CDs.

I read What to Expect when I was preggo with my first. Yuck. I haven't read anything this time around b/c I don't feel the need to.

I have no idea.

We're having a water birth in a birthing center.

Yes.

No. My family will be around to help, but no one will stay with us.

Good! lol

Probably my lasagna and pot pie. I love my food sealer.

Of course. I'll hold off on the lasagna recipe though, lol.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

*Do you have a garden?

Not yet, but one day when I have the time

Hmmm . . . Bodhi Grayson for a boy (or Grayson Bodhi)
Grace something for a girl although I think it's a boy

Going to Thrifty ice cream with my granpda

undecided

Hyundai Santa Fe

It should be perfect! Not to hot, not too cold
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

this is great! I feel like I'm getting to know you guys!

*Do you have a garden?
Yes, a huge one that is so overgrown we can hardly wade through it. We always go WAY overboard and never throw out seedlings. I think we have 30 tomato plants for two of us. hehe

Yup, Ayla Rose or Reid Alexander.

Playing in our blackberry fort with the neighbors. We seriously had a cave in a massive blackberry bramble. It was crazy!

yup. Week before halloween!

Chrysler Town & Country...just got it last month!

Still cold. This year I think it was averaging 30's during the day.

nope...second live baby(hopefully) technically my fifth.

This one and Grace will be 2 years 3 months apart.

Yup.

Yup

just did lol

me

5) Do you have any pets?
yes...

abby (dog) and the cats: maggie-sue, ellie, and miles, plus a pig

yes

sewing and gardening. Sewing since I taught myself two years ago, it was a lot of practice, but I'm good enough to run a business(and do) now! Gardening since birth.

blues for me, depends on gender for baby, but not really pink for a girl, and faded red/white/blue for my house.

cding again...this time I'm making them all.

Ummm too many to list!

I really love Sheila Kitzinger books...homebirth is a great one.

homebirth again, with a new midwife (thank god) and hopefully a waterbirth!

absolutely. he was amazing last time.

MIL will be here for dd, and she might stay a few days. My mom will come for a week when babe is around 2 weeks old.

MIL....great. My mom....not so great.

soups, but not much else. We have a lot of quick recipes.

Oh yeah! I have been recording the Food Network shows and getting lots of recipes.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM

No

25 months apart

Sure - everyone if we find out

Yes - Bodhi Grayson (or Grayson Bodhi) and Grace something for a girl

Si!

I am working on a home business so I can stay home this time around

5) Do you have any pets?
1 dog - Roxy

see above

yes

I love dancing but don't have a class that works w/ my schedule. I've been dancing since I was 3. It was hard, but I LOVE it.

I also enjoy my prenatal yoga class - I'm new to yoga.

Purple and black for me, purple and anything for my dd, cherry woods, warm colors for my home.

Unsure . . .

too many to list
Deepak Chopra has a great pregnancy book

Planning on hospital birth with my wonderful OB! Otherwise, I would see about a homebirth.

yes

probably not

it's good - we have lots of family around so they'll be there is we need them!

I don't cook But we have lots of family that will!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Great idea! I think, however, that I am going to answer a couple of questions at a time. When I look at them all they really overwhelm me and also then I can get more posts.

Garden? No, but we have a perfect area on our property for one, so I think whenever I decided to stop working outside the home that will be one of my first projects. Right now we only live about an 1 1/2 hours from my parents, and they have a huge garden, so they are very generous to share lots of fresh veggies with us. My mom is also a canner, so we get to enjoy the veggies all year round.

Names? Right now we are thinking about Aidan Christopher for a boy and Clare Elizabeth for a girl, but that could change.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks, JillyBeans! I'm not sure how close I am, but I'll find out in just a minute I'll ask your questions one by one to maximize my posts.

*Do you have a garden?
I have two small window box-type gardens on my balcony with tomatoes, green beans, basil, and some lettuce. It was an experiment - and we found out there's not enough soil for all that to grow well! We live in a cohousing community, so we also have a community garden plot with all kinds of goodies. Beautiful to stroll through, and the kids can pick strawberries and tomatoes and beans right off the vines.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Yes!

a) If no, how closely spaced will this one be with your older kids? N/A

I will be finding out. Not sure if I'll be telling family, but I'll definitely announce it here.

Yep.

Nope. :

I will.

5) Do you have any pets?
Yes.

Two pugs, three cats, a bearded dragon and a snake.

Bellydance, backpacking, used to ride horses a lot and still do on and off.

Bellydance - about 5 years, and anyone can do it. All women should try it!
Backpacking - less than a year, but I picked it up quickly. Did a 200 mile hike this spring.
Riding - since I was very young. Yes, it's hard to learn.

My favorite is purple. Most of my home is decorated in medieval tapestries and such, though, and mostly maroon and gold type colors. The baby's room will be purple and yellow if it's a girl, blue if it's a boy.

CD all the way! I'm planning to mostly use BG o/s.

I have Birthing from Within, Kitzinger's pregnancy book, the Bradley book, and Active Birth.

Ask me in a year.

A waterbirth at a hospital birth center. I'm planning to dance through labor as much as possible.

Yes.

MIL wants to, but I'm not sure if I'll let her. I'd really like my best friend to come too, but she's in Idaho.

Both

Italian food, mostly. Lasagna and such. Probably chicken soup, too.

Definitely, I think the sticky is a great idea.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Wow, I've got a while to go with only 50 posts! If I do 5 per work day it will only take me a 4 weeks to get to 150 . . . do you think you can stand that much of me?! Tee hee. Well, I'm so glad to have a place hosted for me to do this.

Okay, this one plus three more for today! Maybe I'll actually go post something contributory for one of those

We're considering Evelyn, Amelia, Alaina, Cameron (we highly suspect girl, but won't find out until the birth day). Joyce will be the middle name for a girl - my great aunt is dying of cancer and that is her middle name. She is an incredible woman. It's funny, though, with #1 and #2 we sort of had a list of names we liked and when we finally saw her/him we just knew the right name (sometimes not even off the list!). So, we won't be setting anything in stone.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Hmmm, this is a hard one. I loved being out in nature, I remember spring days in the field by our house laying down on the picnic blanket and listening to the bees flutter around and watching the clouds. I felt like there was nothing else on earth but me and nature. So peaceful. I was about 6, I'd guess.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Oops, I already answered this one. Too verbose am I! No, we will not be finding out, and I feel very strongly about this. I believe that all too often there is something important lost in the relationship a woman has with her body and birth when the gender is known. It's like those who know tend to have a very distant, future-focussed state of mind - thinking of who their little girl Mandy will be (for example). In my experience personally and in interacting with my pregnancy henna clients, those who don't know are often far more inwardly-focussed - in quiet meditative communion with their unborn babies as a kind of extension of themselves. They also don't seem to get the whole intense impatience thing at the end of their pregnancies. Of course, this could all be because of the inherent personality types of those women who choose to know versus those who choose to wait. But I think about it sometimes and wonder if the ultrasound gender prediction movement has eroded birth even further.

Oh, and there's also NOTHING like that amazing surprise and unfolding that happens just after birth!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Two for one!

Honda Odyssey

Interesting that you asked "babes" - I still have a twin feeling for this pregnancy that I can't shake. I guess I'll find out! My birth will be at the end of February/early March and it will be COLD still, nearing the wet/icy but possibly still in the snowy phase. My other births were in the hot/humid times, so it'll be interesting to see how bundling up feels instead of nakedness!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Here's one more from Jaime (thank you!)

This is not my first, it's my fourth pregnancy (lost the first) and will be my third live birth. My older two will be 3.75 and 2.75 at the birth.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaLady View Post

Oops, I already answered this one. Too verbose am I! No, we will not be finding out, and I feel very strongly about this. I believe that all too often there is something important lost in the relationship a woman has with her body and birth when the gender is known. It's like those who know tend to have a very distant, future-focussed state of mind - thinking of who their little girl Mandy will be (for example). In my experience personally and in interacting with my pregnancy henna clients, those who don't know are often far more inwardly-focussed - in quiet meditative communion with their unborn babies as a kind of extension of themselves. They also don't seem to get the whole intense impatience thing at the end of their pregnancies. Of course, this could all be because of the inherent personality types of those women who choose to know versus those who choose to wait. But I think about it sometimes and wonder if the ultrasound gender prediction movement has eroded birth even further.

Oh, and there's also NOTHING like that amazing surprise and unfolding that happens just after birth!

I agree with this to an extent. But I did find out dd's sex, and for me it was a great mystery who she was going to be. I didn't have a personality for the baby at all, other than what she showed me through activity. Yes, she had a name, yes she had girly clothes, but she wasn't "Grace" until the minute I held her in my arms. And I guess I didn't have any issues with impatience either. I enjoyed every second of my pregnancy and that special bond that my unborn baby and I shared. I was almost sad to lose it when she was born! I think it all does depend on the woman. But I wouldn't go as far as saying that birth is eroded by finding out the sex of your baby. Birth is magical and glorious no matter how your baby enters into the world! (although I'm still a very very very strong homebirth/gentle birth advocate!)

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Great idea!
I have a lot to get there so I am going to answer on at a time

*Do you have a garden?The property we just bought has a lot of established fruit trees but had some strong winds and everything fell off. The grape vines did survive. We also planted some carrots, cucumbers, radishes and cantaloupe but we only got a few radishes.

Stefanie- Wife to the love of my life Scott. Mom to Skyler (7), Scott Jr (6) and Sienna: (2).
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM

We have been looking at a name book but not for sure with any names

Stefanie- Wife to the love of my life Scott. Mom to Skyler (7), Scott Jr (6) and Sienna: (2).
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Spending time with my Grandparents (my mom's parents). I was very close to them. My Grandma passed away when I was 9 and my Grandpa when I was 13

Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Yes. Can't wait

User Tag List