Making Diapers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I very much agree with lilkat. Before I started asking around on here I knew a tiny bit, but these ladies in this ddc, and on the diapering board have really helped out a lot. Granted I still don't know everything, but I know enough to get me going for now.
#32 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkat View Post
OK, time to expose my total ignorance: it never occured to me to use anything but disposable plastic diapers until joining this group. I had no idea how many alternatives there are! But it's all a little overwhelming. To top it all off, DH totally balked the one time I brought up cloth diapers. I joked to him, "You didn't know you married a hippy, did you?", but the look on his face told all. We are both very new to all this. So, is there like an idiot's guide to cloth diapers out there that can explain really simply what some of the options are? And do any of you have advice on how to help DH be a little more open-minded? And what other advice would you have for a first-time mama whose used to the main-stream? I've already started trying to navigate the vax vs. anti-vax debate (whew!), and I imagine there are any number of other alternatives out there. MDC is a great resource, but even here some things are a little over my head... Thanks!
I know there are other "cloth diaper newbie" resources out there, but I don't feel like expending the energy to track them down right now, lol. So here is the first one I found, which is pretty comprehensive and may give you a good idea of what kind of things you want to learn more about:
http://www.cottonbabies.com/clothdiapers.php

I started cloth diapering my son when he was about 6 months old. I had been thinking about it for months, asked advice from other posters on my more mainstream board who used cloth diapers, and just read as much as I could read for a long time. I finally decided to go with the advice of prefolds/covers plus Fuzzi Bunz for nighttime. I ended up very much liking the Fuzzi Bunz over the prefold/cover combo, and bought another dozen and made Fuzzi Bunz my almost exclusive stash. I kept the prefolds and covers as backups.

I was feeling like it would be an overwhelming jump to go from disposables to cloth, but you know, I LOVED the choice. It actually became my favorite chore (from a girl who HATES chores!) to wash those diapers. Taking them nice and soft and clean out of the dryer just made me feel so proud and good, I loved it. It's not so exciting anymore, now that I've got a 2 year old and the diapers are showing their age (I reeeeally need to replace some elastic, bleh), but I'm also really looking forward to cloth diapering a newborn.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#33 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Another thing to consider is skin. Some babies are very sensitive skinned, and can't really be in a PUL for too long. So fitted diapers and wool covers are a great option then.
Some like the ease of washing for prefolds, some hate the folding! Depending on budget, cute fitteds are fun. Wool covers are easy to wash, and fun to use. Diapers like Very Baby All in Ones are easy for other people to use, as they velrco, and don't require a cover. We are going to use pockets at night this time around, as you can stuff them as much as needed. So I would suggest looking at all different sites to really get a feel for what is out there before you decide to either make diapers, or invest in them

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#34 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 PM

You guys have me so excited to try diapers. I am going to hit the good will outlet and get some sheets and such for insides and then use up my fabric stash on the outsides. I cannot wait to have some sewing time.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#35 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
You guys have me so excited to try diapers. I am going to hit the good will outlet and get some sheets and such for insides and then use up my fabric stash on the outsides. I cannot wait to have some sewing time.
that's great

I am usign up old doublers (additional inserts) from old diapers for the pocket diapers I make. I am also going to try to recycle some prefitteds(sewn from prefolds, use a snappi with them)by adding new elastic and serging them again.Trying to cut corners where I can so I can make the really sute stuff I want.

I actually just ordered my own snap press and got a great deal, by joining a yahoo co-op group for them.

I also plan to make some fitteds solely out of scrap fabric in my stash.

#36 of 48 Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#37 of 48 Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM

So I could not wait to sew a diaper and tried one last night. I made a L for DD. I used a old towel for the inner and a sewn in soaker. The inside is pink fleece and the outside is a pretty blue with green and yellow daisy flowers. I am horrible that I don't want to read the directions so I am kind of winging it. I made my own pattern by tracing one I kind of like and altering it to what I wanted. I have not sewn it together yet though as I could not figure out how to put the elastic in there. So nap time today I will be reading directions for the elastic. I will try and post pics when I am done.

And a question: I can use fleece for the inside right? I have these fleece liners that I throw on her now when I think she is going to poop or when I need to put some ointment on her. I thought why not just make it all fleece.

#38 of 48 Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM

hahaha @ "married a hippy"

Both my prev. kids were cloth diapered in one form or another, a service for a while, prefolds, covers, home-made covers, good old fashion cotton do it yourselves with "rubber pants" and giant baby safety pins... lol... so it never occurred to me anything else...
When I first got pg. it DID occur to me that dh is pretty young and i KNOW no one in his family (save his gmas) cloth diapered their babies, so I said to him:
"What goes through your mind when I say 'cloth diapers'?"
DH: "hippies"
Me: : "Well, at least you are on board."

He's terrified of cloth diapers...hahahaha. When I showed him that he didn't have to impale the baby with a giant pin, and that there are many alternatives to disposables, he warmed up... I asked him if he'd rather be wearing cotton or plastic on his bottom, it became pretty clear how it was going to go...hahaha Sometimes his discovery period is the cutest thing I HAVE about being pg. again.

I'm excited to make some cute covers out of crazy prints... I enjoy sewing those.... sure makes a few disposable diapering moms reconsider, if for nothing but the "fashion statement"

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#39 of 48 Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I asked him if he'd rather be wearing cotton or plastic on his bottom, it became pretty clear how it was going to go...hahaha
What a great way to re-frame the discussion! Thanks

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#40 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM

New conceptions has good cd patterns. I have used then and made some pretty good diapers. I am trying a whole lot of different things before I commit myself to any brand or method. But I prefer the wool covers. I got a lot of 26 DSQ prefolds and 6 wool covers on craigslist for 50.00.
#41 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchynurse View Post
I got a lot of 26 DSQ prefolds and 6 wool covers on craigslist for 50.00.
What are DSQ prefolds?
#42 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raismama View Post
What are DSQ prefolds?
Diaper Service Quality.

If you buy your own prefolds it's important to buy this quality. The gerber ones(and other brands) are not as absorbant. You can also make prefolds yourself for a fraction of the cost

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/
http://diaperfabric.com/sew-a-prefol...-the-real-way/

#43 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
And a question: I can use fleece for the inside right? I have these fleece liners that I throw on her now when I think she is going to poop or when I need to put some ointment on her. I thought why not just make it all fleece.
Actually, I might be wrong, but I don't think fleece is the kind of material you want to use inside the diaper. If I'm remembering right, fleece is good for two things: 1) A diaper cover, repelling wetness so you don't get wet baby clothes, and 2) a thinner liner inside that allows wetness through but won't stick to bowel movements. I'm fairly sure it's not an absorbent material, and therefore something that should either be the innermost or outermost layer of diaper, not the inside. Things that I understand are good for absorbency are flannel, cotton, microfiber, hemp, bamboo, birdseye, etc.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#44 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Diaper Service Quality.

If you buy your own prefolds it's important to buy this quality. The gerber ones(and other brands) are not as absorbant. You can also make prefolds yourself for a fraction of the cost

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/
http://diaperfabric.com/sew-a-prefol...-the-real-way/
Great sites!! Thanks
#45 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
Actually, I might be wrong, but I don't think fleece is the kind of material you want to use inside the diaper. If I'm remembering right, fleece is good for two things: 1) A diaper cover, repelling wetness so you don't get wet baby clothes, and 2) a thinner liner inside that allows wetness through but won't stick to bowel movements. I'm fairly sure it's not an absorbent material, and therefore something that should either be the innermost or outermost layer of diaper, not the inside. Things that I understand are good for absorbency are flannel, cotton, microfiber, hemp, bamboo, birdseye, etc.
The dipe I made has fleece as the layer next to babys bum. there is still absorbant material inside. The diaper turned out great. But its too small. I also did not have any larger velcro than 1/2 inch. I tried it and I don't think its going to work super well. I bought some more yesterday so I am going to try again. I will post pics of the dipe later. I think it super good for a first diaper.

#46 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM

tiny tush makes nice unbleached cotton prefolds. They have a good website but I am not too sure what is and I like punkinbutt.com
#47 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raismama View Post
Great sites!! Thanks

I never actually thought of making prefolds myself until I saw that site recently. So if I ever decide to get more, (which I may make a set in a premium short size eventually because every now and then I like the look of a prefold) I will probably make my own. I have a serger, so I 'm all set up for it I do have prefolds from GMD though, and like them. Great customer service too.

This is pure eye candy, but also a great site(good service too) for eco-freindly super cute, great quality diapers:
http://www.fireflydiapers.com/

spendy, but if you don't have the means to make your own, and have the money.....
I have a few from last time around, ah, the hyena days.....

#48 of 48 Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchynurse View Post
New conceptions has good cd patterns. I have used then and made some pretty good diapers. I am trying a whole lot of different things before I commit myself to any brand or method. But I prefer the wool covers. I got a lot of 26 DSQ prefolds and 6 wool covers on craigslist for 50.00.
I love Craigslist. A few months back I got 12 BSWW in excellent condition for $20!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page