Making Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make diapers. I currently do not cloth diaper, I know horrible: we used to use gDiapers, but that was expensive too, and I told dh I wanted to cloth, but we haven't yet for financial reasons, and I've read a lot about people sewing them. Here's my dilemma, I do not have a sewing machine yet, I've been bugging dh for one, so maybe if I can prove to him that I will be able to save us even more money if we get a little cheap machine he might actually let me invest. So, if anyone could let me know how its done I would love that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM
DBZ

You could probably pick up a sewing machine on freecycle.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM

You should check out the diaper making forum. I've used the Darling Diapers pattern (google it!) before and it's great - it walks you through all the steps and gives you the pattern for side and front snapping diapers. I've also made my own patterns from tracing sposies and added the appropriate seam allowances. There's quite a learning curve involved though. I think I sewed about 10 diapers before I actually got one I could use. I had never sewn before either, so it just takes time to learn how to use and control the machine. Now I can make a diaper very quickly.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks, I'll check out freecycle and the diaper making forum.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM

I would definately recommend getting a good pattern. The darling diapers ones are nice. Our favourite is the Very Baby (or very basic... I can never remember) All in One pattern. You also need to decide what kind of diapers you want to use. Everyone likes something a little different. We like All in Ones during the day with pocket fitteds and wool for night time. Making diapers can be cost effective or it can turn into a hobby and then it won't save you much at all. There are a few free patterns floating around. My favourites are the Wee Weka patterns. They're fairly true to size (the free Ottobre one is MASSIVE!)

The cheapest CD system out there is prefolds and covers. You can get a pretty good diaper stash for quite cheap if you do it that way.

Definately check out the diaper making board. There is a wealth of information there.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

I got my sewing machine for $99 (a Brother from Sears) 13 years ago. It is great and I love it
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second the freecycle idea. Also you could look on craigslist and post that you're looking for a cheap sewing machine there. I own so many sewing machines, it's not funny, and I bought most of them at yard sales for $10-20.
My very first machine was a black singer from around 1910 that I bought with $10 of babysitting money when I was 14. Ah....memories....

Good luck finding a good machine and getting started on your diapers!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm planning on using THIS tutorial to make some newborn sized diapers, once I finally have all my materials. It looks pretty easy to me.

Up till now I've just used Fuzzi Bunz diapers, but they haven't lasted well for whatever reason and so I'll need a new stash for the new baby. Not willing to spend that much money again for likely the same results. If a diaper I make goes bad, on the other hand, I won't care as much

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
I'm planning on using THIS tutorial to make some newborn sized diapers, once I finally have all my materials. It looks pretty easy to me.
That site is very informative, and it seems somewhat overwhelming.

So now first I need to get a machine, then figure out how to make the diapers, then learn how to actually use the diapers!! Piece of cake
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Aww, sorry if I minimalized it to you in any way. Are you brand new to sewing, too?

When I was a CD newbie, I felt terribly overwhelmed by the use and care of diapers, myself. But really, it's pretty easy. I've kind of got into a rhythm of just washing every other day starting off with one hot wash followed by a couple extra rinses (it seems if I do any less, I end up with stink issues). Breastmilk poops will dissolve in the wash, so while your baby is BF'd, you can simply toss the dipes into the pail till you wash, no extra steps needed. And if you go with something like an all-in-one, it will feel just like a disposable in its functionality. Or a fitted with a cover won't be much different, just two things to put onto baby

I do like the simplicity of prefolds plus a cover, but it always feels awkward to me, still. Hard for me to get the prefold on comfortably, well-fitting, and then add a cover on top. Maybe it's easier with an immobile baby, but I didn't start CD'ing until my son was on the move, so I can't say.

I'm sure you will find a wealth of information on both diapers and sewing in the Diaper Sewing forum (and hanging out at the cloth diapering board wouldn't hurt, either!).

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
Aww, sorry if I minimalized it to you in any way. Are you brand new to sewing, too?
I'm not super new to sewing, I taught myself when I was a child, but only did it off and on, and never was really good. I can manage my way through stuff, but I would just say I don't know what I'm doing.

I don't know now if it would be more cost effective to buy cloth diapers or to get all the stuff needed to make them. Granted in the long run having a sewing machine would be beneficial so I can start making clothes/diapers/whatever, but since we are on such a tight budget maybe it's not such a good idea.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:44 PM

I second the darling diaper pattern. I bought the AIO pattern and from it I can make either side-snapping of front snapping(or aplix for either) fitted, AIOs, or covers. Or inserts for pockets if I want. I think that the sidesnapping fitteds from that pattern fits my dd the best and I've tried a whole lot of patterns! And it's cheaper.

eta: I thought the same thing when I bought my sewing machine, that it wouldn't be cost effective at the time, and I was so wrong. It has saved us tons and tons of money, and was a work horse. I bought a cheap europro from target for like $100 and just upgraded last year to a brother, and the dang europro still can outsew it! Oh, and it's super easy to learn diaper making with a good pattern. I could only sew a square when I started about a year and a half ago, and now I make my own patterns.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM

I have seen some cheap sewing machines on craigslist. I would check out the Diaper Making Forum to find free pattern websites and tips on how to sew them. good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 PM

I plan to make our whole stash so feel free to pm me

After diapering 2 kids, I have some stuff I bought I will keep(think basic fitteds and some really cute stuff) but basically I will be making fitteds(most likely a variant of the very baby design. I will be making very baby AIO's, and pockets for nighttime. I will use some prefolds too, infant size.

I would read up and do some searches with the info people have already given. I am sure you will find what works for you. I know for us, with 3 kids, I need AIO's for outing, thus very babys. they are the most like a sposie in design, but ingenious! I love them At night, we co-sleep and I can't afford to change diapers all night long, so I am going with a full rainbow spectrum set of pockets in each szie for nighttime and ease of use/cleaning/storage.

How fancy or how much you spend depends on your style/and or budget. You can recycle materials, felt old sweaters to sew wool covers, or buy yarn and knit your own.

I would suggest getting a higher end machine used if you can. I bought a decent elna at a sewing and vacuum shop a few years back for a decent price. I also just bought a pfaff hobbylock serger on ebay. You don't need a serger, but I wanted one for certain kinds of diapers and covers.

If you want to make diapers that snap, you should look into borrowing a snap press from a friend, or investing in one.

here are some good sites:there are PLENTY more ideas in the diaper making forum!

http://www.thesnapstore.com/catalog/
http://diapershop.com/
http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/pocket.php
http://sewdiapers.com/

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:40 PM

As far as making them on the cheap, I go to the thrift store whenver they are having bag sales and load up on "fabric" for various projects. Old flannel sheets are awesome as are towels (for the inside) and old t-shirts. You can also use things like denim for the outside layer (but that wouldn't feel to good against babies skin). And I save myself production time by not putting snaps or velcro on the diapers, I just use the pins I use for our prefolds. (This may help you figure out what kinds of diapers you want to use)

Maybe it's just cause I love to sew, but I really think that a sewing machine can be a true investment for your family. I make a lot of ds' clothes and diapers and covers not to mention the hundreds I have saved by making all of my slings and baby carriers! I've also been able to sell some of that stuff: cute shorts and slings and basic t-shirts for little boys. If it's at all possible, it would be worth the purchase, especially if you can 1)find one used and 2)be thrifty with your choices in materials! Have fun!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM

also check out yahoo groups. There are a bunch of great coops on there, and that is where I get the hard to find fabric like Pul and the fancy stuff like velour and bamboo.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM

I just have to say, we LOOOOVE using prefolds with a snappi and cover, and a hemp doubler inside for night time once they start sleeping longer! It would be a great idea to get some prefolds as the backbone of your stash, then you can gradually build up a pile of sewed fitted diapers, rather than feeling you have to chain yourself to the machine and produce them all in one go.

Not only are the prefolds cheap, but you can resell them when you're finished with them. In fact you can do that with lots of diapers and recoup a good chunk of the price for buying the next set up.

Good luck and have fun! The washing is really easy to get the hang of, and cloth diapering is a lot more versatile and adaptable to your baby's needs than using sposies. Plus they are so cute!

fiona
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 AM

I do agree with fiona...if you are looking for cheap, prefolds are the way to go in the beginning. We did that with dd at first and saved a bundle. Do make more reselling them I bought some cheap dylon dye and made them pretty!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I just want to say thanks to everyone, you all have been so informative, I think I might actually know what to do now

I think because I am so new to this I am probably going to buy some prefolds and snappis, use them with my gdiapers, and maybe get a couple of other covers, and start knitting some. Once I get a sewing machine I'll start fiddling around with that.

I really couldn't have gotten this far without all of your help!!

Jill~where did you get the dye, I think that would be fun to do!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raismama View Post
Wow! I just want to say thanks to everyone, you all have been so informative, I think I might actually know what to do now

I think because I am so new to this I am probably going to buy some prefolds and snappis, use them with my gdiapers, and maybe get a couple of other covers, and start knitting some. Once I get a sewing machine I'll start fiddling around with that.

I really couldn't have gotten this far without all of your help!!

Jill~where did you get the dye, I think that would be fun to do!
Well since you are planning ahead, just plan to have enough covers to not have to use the g-diaper. I agree prefolds are the easiest in terms of washing but some people do better with a diaper that velcros or snaps. I know my dh preferred them over snappis.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM

I get the dye at Joann's. I think a package is like $1.99 and I could dye up to 5 infant prefolds depending on how dark I wanted them. I now have 36 beautiful prefolds, which I'll probably sell.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Well since you are planning ahead, just plan to have enough covers to not have to use the g-diaper. .
I'll be using my gdiaper covers, not the gdiaper insert, since we already have them, and I'd hate for them to go to waste.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 AM

We have a couple G-diaper covers and I don't think that they would work well for prefolds. The problem is - and this might be b/c I have an older version of them? - that the cotton outer fabric meets the PUL on the inside of the cover, so it will wick badly to the outside if it gets wet at all.

My suggestion is to buy some PUL and make your own covers, or invest in a couple really nice wool covers. Those will have more stretch and waterproofing than the G-diaper covers.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlgirl26 View Post
My suggestion is to buy some PUL and make your own covers, or invest in a couple really nice wool covers. Those will have more stretch and waterproofing than the G-diaper covers.
The PUL covers are a little more complicated to make so if that sounds intimidating (or if you're a total novice) you might try making some bum sweaters out of recylced wool sweaters. Again, I hit the bag sales at the thrift so whenever I find wool then I toss it in, but I'm willing to spend a little money for 100% wool too. Men's sweaters give you the most bang for your buck... or old army blankets (which are usually already felted, too). For a small baby you can get 1 pair of longies (or try these if your sweater is smaller) and 2 bum sweaters from 1 wool sweater (although how far your wool will go will depend on how big your child is and how big your sweater is). I think the best part of wool is that you can get away with as few as three covers per size cause they don't have to be washed nearly as often as PUL or fleece. I wash mine only once a month. I have a friend who washes hers even less (of course they aren't soiled, then you just have to wash them straight off). hth!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 AM

NAK
We've used the g-diaper covers with prefolds and didn't have any trouble.
Good luck!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what is PUL?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raismama View Post
I hate to sound like an idiot, but what is PUL?
polyuerathane laminate
http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/pul-...elaminate.html

People normally use the 1 mil when making diapers and covers.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I knew that
Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 PM

OK, time to expose my total ignorance: it never occured to me to use anything but disposable plastic diapers until joining this group. I had no idea how many alternatives there are! But it's all a little overwhelming. To top it all off, DH totally balked the one time I brought up cloth diapers. I joked to him, "You didn't know you married a hippy, did you?", but the look on his face told all. We are both very new to all this. So, is there like an idiot's guide to cloth diapers out there that can explain really simply what some of the options are? And do any of you have advice on how to help DH be a little more open-minded? And what other advice would you have for a first-time mama whose used to the main-stream? I've already started trying to navigate the vax vs. anti-vax debate (whew!), and I imagine there are any number of other alternatives out there. MDC is a great resource, but even here some things are a little over my head... Thanks!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

Old 09-25-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkat View Post
OK, time to expose my total ignorance: it never occured to me to use anything but disposable plastic diapers until joining this group. I had no idea how many alternatives there are! But it's all a little overwhelming. To top it all off, DH totally balked the one time I brought up cloth diapers. I joked to him, "You didn't know you married a hippy, did you?", but the look on his face told all. We are both very new to all this. So, is there like an idiot's guide to cloth diapers out there that can explain really simply what some of the options are? And do any of you have advice on how to help DH be a little more open-minded? And what other advice would you have for a first-time mama whose used to the main-stream? I've already started trying to navigate the vax vs. anti-vax debate (whew!), and I imagine there are any number of other alternatives out there. MDC is a great resource, but even here some things are a little over my head... Thanks!
Go visit the diapering board And the diaper making board. Seriously. When I decided to switch, I spent like 3 days straight online figuring stuff out.Go to every diapering link in the archives, or what people are talking about so you can see what's out there.Diapering services are always and option but it can be so much cheaper, and more fun(think cute diapers as opposed to prefolds and flats only.) to have your own.

User Tag List