Advice/opinions needed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a pre-existing condition of reactive hypoglycemia, that is diet-controlled. I've had no real issues with my blood sugar levels since I was diagnosed at 17, but I know that it does raise my risk of gestational diabetes.

This morning, after a normal breakfast (apple, 2 slices of toast, peanut butter, and a 16 oz glass of milk), I went to the post office. While I was paying, I crashed - one second, I was standing at the counter, talking to the clerk, the next he's standing over me asking if I'm okay. I went across the street to a convenience store - usually a candy bar is all I need to get my blood sugar back to normal; this morning, it took 3 candy bars, 2 hot dogs, and a yogurt drink before I felt steady enough to drive home, and I still don't feel 100%.

I'm supposed to have the 1 hour glucose tolerance test on the 14th. I can walk into the clinic on Monday to have it done earlier if needed. Or, I can have my husband take me to the ER today.

I'm really freaking out about this, I haven't crashed like that since before the hypoglycemia was diagnosed, nearly 10 years ago, and it has NEVER taken that much food to balance me out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 PM

I don't have any real experience with sugar issues. The worst I've experienced is when I go a long time without eating, my hands will get shaky. So obviously I have no idea about what you should do.

You know, I don't even really know what happens when you are diagnosed with GD. Do you get insulin shots? Or do you just have to watch very carefully what you eat and watch your blood sugar? Or does it depend on the diagnosis? If it's just a matter of diet and watching your blood sugar, could you possibly just treat yourself as if you have GD while you wait for your test? Or could you call your doctor/midwife and try to get a test in the next day or two, instead of sitting in the ER and paying the high costs usually associated with it?

Or maybe I just don't understand the severity of the situation, and ER is a good choice. I wish I could help

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM

I'm not familiar enough with GD or hypoglycemia to offer real advice, but I think if I was still feeling shaky, I'd go to the ER and see a doctor.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:07 PM

If you are controlling your Hypoglycemia with diet, then it is probably the same thing they would ask of you to do if you had GD that could be controlled that way. So, yeah, I would have the test done much sooner to see if there is something else they can do to help. If you weren't pregnant and the same thing happened would you go to the ER? If yes, then you definitely should go. If it were me, I'd call my doctor, let them know what happened, and ask what to do--even though it's a weekend. Explain to them that you used to faint back before you got it under control, and it feels like it is now out of control. Sounds like you need to look into this soon. You don't want it to happen when you are at the top of a staircase or driving. I hope you get it figured out. Sounds scary to me!
--K

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM

you might need a someone that specializes in it to help you get where you should be. I have issues with it as well. I have not been able to drink anything carbonated and just up my protein levels.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 AM

I had GD with my last, honestly my midwife just referred me to a nutritionist who put me on the diabetes diet. Candy bars would be a real no no on the diet - they recommend carbs that are really low on the glycemic index. No more than 30-45 carbs per meal, three meals and three snacks during the day. It wasn't a big deal and it controlled my numbers really well. I would get tested and if you come up positive - get a glucose meter and on the gd diet. It really wasn't bad. The nutritionist told me that most people don't follow the diet that is where they end up on medication or in the worst case on insulin.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:45 AM

I'm sure the candy bars were because of the crash. If you're bs goes too low, you need to eat something (sugar candy, non-diet soda, OJ) that will raise it up again quickly (although I was told chocolate isn't the best choice for that) and then eat a light snack to stabilize them.

Perhaps you had too many carbs and not enough protein at breakfast. Between now and then I would definitely up your protein intake and perhaps lower your carbs.

Crashing like that is scary. I've only had one low this pregnancy and it was at home and I figured it out in time before it got too bad, but it's still not fun.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellejar View Post
Candy bars would be a real no no on the diet - they recommend carbs that are really low on the glycemic index. No more than 30-45 carbs per meal, three meals and three snacks during the day
This is my normal diet, as recommended by the nutritionist when I was 17.

The candy bars were an attempt at a quick-fix for the b.s. issue, cause pure crap sugar like that processes into the blood stream the fastest. I keep several PayDays in the car because they've always worked the best - the combination of the caramel with peanuts is usually all it takes to get me through it.

I snacked throughout the day yesterday on celery and apple slices w/peanut butter, a chicken wrap, and had a decent dinner, and only drank water the rest of the day. The shakey feeling finally went away around 9:30 pm, nearly 12 hours after I crashed at the post office.

I don't think it's serious enough to merit a trip to the ER, but my DH is taking me to the clinic tomorrow and I'm going to push to have the GTT done early. I also will schedule an appointment with a nutritionist - I should have done it about 5 years ago, since my diet hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years. (wow I can't believe it's really been that long...)
Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 AM

It shouldn't be a big deal to do it early. I did the 1-hr. test this time at 10 or 11 weeks.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Gotcha, I've never had low blood sugar issues, didn't realize you'd need real sugar for a fix. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 PM

I'd be looking for a nutritionist or doc who specializes in hypoglycemia who can help you out on how your nutritional needs change during pregnancy.

I'm pretty skeptical of the GTT. Our midwife doesn't do them because she doesn't think they are a particularly good measure of how your body processes food (it's a pretty artificial environment)

Anyway... I'd for sure talk to my primary care giver for pregnancy first thing tomorrow to find out what they recommend.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
DBZ

Wow I am sorry that you crashed like that. I hope you get some answers. Hang in there.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

AS IF THAT WASN"T ENOUGH!!!!

Those effing hot dogs gave me FOOD POISONING!!!! :::

We called the doctor when I, out of nowhere, started having it come out both ends yesterday; DH described the symptoms I was having, and we identified it had to have been the hot dogs because that's the only thing I ate that DH didn't, and I'm the only one who was sick.

I've been trying desperately to keep water down all night; it seems to have slowed down, though I'm still having horrible cramping; the doc said that if I couldn't keep water down by the time DH is done with PT, I need to go in and get an IV, since I dehydrate very easily.

Seriously is this ever going to end?!?!?!?!
Old 11-05-2007, 03:05 AM

I don't know if you pay attention to the no-no food list during pregnancy, but hot dogs are on it. Just FYI and after the food poisoning, I'm sure it's the last food you want to see for a while!

I hope you can get the blood sugar thing worked out.

Jenn
Old 11-05-2007, 03:06 AM

Big hugs to you. I can't imagine how awful you must be feeling right now. I hope it passes quickly and you don't need the IV for long.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
I don't know if you pay attention to the no-no food list during pregnancy, but hot dogs are on it. Just FYI and after the food poisoning, I'm sure it's the last food you want to see for a while!

I hope you can get the blood sugar thing worked out.

Jenn
I know, and normally I wouldn't touch a hot dog with a 100 foot pole even while not pregnant, but the pure sugar wasn't solving the BS issue so I was hoping protein would, and it was either hot dogs or super spicy beef jerky.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

I have no advice, but I'm so sorry you're through ALL this stuff right now. I hope things get better soon.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM

How're you feeling today? Please keep us posted. Food poisoining really freaks me out when pregnant What a scary weekend you've had!

I'm kinda leary of the 1-hour test for GD. It seems like there are a lot of false positives, etc so I've always avoided it. But, I have had hypoglycemia for years also and yes I always feel less stable during pregnancy, espcially the first trimester, before my body kinda regains balance. That said, I've never had an episode like you described. I get really dizzy and will start puking everywhere if I haven't maintained a good protein balance in my diet. When pregnant I have to majorly up my protein intake (and I mean LOT's like 60 grams of complete proteins a day (not counting grains & beans) just counting eggs, yogurt, meats, etc). I balance that against low glycemic index carbs like barley, oats, bulgur wheat some brown rice (higher GI), etc. And lot's of fresh veggies. It's hard and takes a lot of work but it helps a lot. I suspect a nutritionist will tell you something similar (although if it's different, would you mind sharing how? I'd be curious!). Best of luck and I hope you start feeling terrific soon!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Wow-what a day for you! I hope you are feeling better, and you get in to see your cp right away-it's scary to think of where you could be the next time it happens!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 PM

I hope you are feeling better! Food poisoning sucks so bad anyway.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 AM

ugh-hope you're feeling better soon and get the other issue figured our really quickly.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been able to eat today...bad me, yesterday I couldn't make myself choke down ANYTHING. SO that's an improvement.

I did get in to see the doctor yesterday, had the GTT done, gah that stuff is nasty. The doctor said that if I failed, I'll hear from them by the end of the week. If I don't hear anything, I passed.

I really don't believe I passed the test, as I couldn't make myself eat or drink anything but water (and that horrible glucose drink) all day.

User Tag List