Who else will be wearing... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Their babies? And do you have a stash yet? So far I have:

Two wahm ring slings
Two mei tais (one silk Sachi and one that I can't remember the brand, but it's gorgeous...looks a bit like the Mayan calendar)
Gypsy Mama BBB Haumea
Gypsy Mama BBB Psyche
Ellaroo Claudia

I feel a little bad because I picked carriers that would match what I like to wear, so the poor little dude will be all wrapped up in girl colors.

So who else has what?
#2 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM

I definitely want to wear my babe - we're not buying an infant stroller at all (*everyone* where we live prefers strollers) but I haven't done any research about which carriers to try - thanks for reminding me!

We don't know its gender but would like to have a design/colors my DH would wear too! :/:
#3 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 PM

I've been working on my diaper stash (I make my own), and next it's on to wraps. I want to make another mei tai (i already have two...!), a ring sling, and a wrap.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#4 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM

I have a decent stash from DD1, and am adding to it a little for DD2! I wore DD1 all the time, until she was about 14 months (and 23 pounds) and started walking- at that point it was too much up and down, so I just carried her in arms or she walked. We don't own a car, and get everywhere by walking or bus, so this added up to a LOT of babywearing!

I have from DD:
- Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch
- locally made cotton ring sling
- Moby wrap
- Didymos Red Waves short wrap
- Didymos Olaf long wrap
- BabyHawk MT (two of them, one XT)
- Angelpack MT
- two Oopa ring slings- one silk and one denim

(much of this was purchased used on the Baby Wearer message boards, it's a great place to hunt for good deals!)

So far I've turned the short Didy wrap into a ring sling (or rather paid someone else to do that!), and bought a Hotsling cotton pouch. On my holiday wishlist is a Peanut shell microfleece pouch, and an Ellaroo wrap. I'm going to see the XT Babyhawk, and a couple of other pouches that I bought from a friend but turned out to be too big for my taste, and then I think I'll be done. I like having a lot of variety

DH liked the cotton ring sling (dark red) we used with DD the best, and he liked the KK fleece pouch too. Eventually he figured out how to use one of the MTs, but he never got into wraps. I don't like super-girly fabrics anyway, so he doesn't object too much to my selections He just finds wraps too daunting to learn.
#5 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I've got a load of slings already. This is what I have currently, that I haven't sold, at my disposal:
one zolowear silk ring sling
one ombuhimo(sp?)
tons of pouch slings, like around 8.

I plan to make a few mei teis, and would like to get a few wraps.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 PM

I have a few ring slings, a couple mei tais, an ergo, and I'm hoping to snag a pouch before the LO arrives.

I love my ring slings for my newborns. I can't wait to wear my warm snuggly baby!
#7 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM

I didn't realize that we'd need more than one sling... or do we? I was thinking a mei tai style carrier would transition from newborn to toddler. Is it more for fun to have multiple carriers (they are all so cute - I'm tempted even on our little budget) or because of practical considerations?
#8 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM

I have a moby and cozy carrier (mei tai style). I wasn't happy with my sling last time ( can't remember brand- not well known - had buckle- like slide for tightening) - it hurt my neck. Can anyone recommend an ergonomic one?
#9 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I almost forgot, I have a Pea in a Pod pouch, too.

studentmama - For me it definitely has practical considerations. I've heard that ring slings are easier to breastfeed in, so I think I'll be wearing those a lot at first until we get the hang of nursing. The pouch is adjustable and user friendly, so my husband and I can both use it. I'm most interested in wrapping for the long haul, and having several to go with different outfits will be great. Also, I'll be able to keep an extra carrier of some sort in each car just in case.

You definitely don't need more than one. I'm glad I have a bunch, though.
#10 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM

I have a few from DD, and have asked for a Gypsymama batik wrap . . . and I ordered a Kinder coat!!! I am soooooo excited about this coat - it shipped this Friday!

I really, really need a winter coat that fits me (and the babe):!!!
#11 of 44 Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a maya and a mei-tai. I'd like to get a moby,too
#12 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 01:07 AM
mtm

I have a bjorn which I adore for the first few months, an ergo which is fantastic for when the baby is heavier and two slings, one maya, one non-adjustable. The slings are great for breastfeeding but aren't so good for my bad neck/shoulders.
#13 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmomma View Post
I didn't realize that we'd need more than one sling... or do we? I was thinking a mei tai style carrier would transition from newborn to toddler. Is it more for fun to have multiple carriers (they are all so cute - I'm tempted even on our little budget) or because of practical considerations?
I suppose you don't "need" them... I wound up getting mine for a series of practical issues b/c the sling I had hurt. Then I wore the moby for a while, but even though it's supposed to go up to something like 25 lbs, it stretched and cut in too much when the boy was a little older, but nowhere near that weight. Also, the moby is a bit of a to-do to get on and off, not a quick-nursing item (at least for me) - although wearing it most days as I did, I got it on a lot easier than at first. The mei-tai-esque Cozy did better with his weight and in a side position- which is great for actual doing things with your arms which tend to be in front of you for most tasks... I didn't find that easy to nurse in either.
I would say that the cozy carrier (of the ones I had) was the most versatile and the one I would pick if I had to chose one. I would like to try a sling for the nursing options and just a "cuddlier" hold for when she's just a wee thing - I'm sure there has to be one with better neck/back support out there.
#14 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that each sling has a different learning curve and appeal. I really liked the ease of pouches when my babies go to be around 5 months. They were so active.
Ring slings were great too for nursing, and ease.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#15 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM

I have a ring sling, a regular pouch, a solarveil pouch and a Baby Bjorn (for my husband, I am not a fan) from last time. I will be getting a mei tai of some sort also, probably a Babyhawk.
#16 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 AM

I will be! Although my sling stash is pretty sad, especially compared to my diaper stash. I have a pouch sling and a couple Meitais that I made myself. I do plan on making a wrap sling before baby gets here, and maybe another pouch sling that's more comfortable with a pad.
#17 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 AM

I am big time into baby wearing. I dicovered Mt's pods and wraps with Dc #4 but used ring slings with the previous 3. I have a slightly out of hand stash I have close to 10 ringslings (most I have made myself) 2 pods and one more being planned, and probably around 10 german woven wraps. I plan on also making one MT for my DH to use since he is more likely to use something like that, although he has slung and wrapped. Oh and I have a DIY ergo that I made around here somewhere too. I would like to get a stretchy wrap like a moby or a hopp for the newborn stage. I have heard those are the easiest wraps to nurse a wee one in and something I have never tried.
#18 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM

studentmama- With DD I had one ring sling and one pouch from birth-4 months. That was fine for us, but I was literally wearing her all day, every day, and I first got tired of wearing the same two slings every day (that would be like only ever wearing two shirts!). Plus DD gained weight quickly and became such a chunky monkey I needed something that went over both shoulders. So I added a Moby, but by the time she was 6 months she was too heavy for that, so then I moved to mei teis and wraps. I still preferred the ring sling or pouch for trips to places like the zoo or aquarium- where she wanted to be able to look around a lot, or where I wanted to be able to get her in and out quickly. Nothing is as poppable as a hip carry in a pouch But for longer walks, it made sense (for my back's sake) to have her in a MT or wrap. At this point I don't *need* more, I just want more for the fun of wearing different "shirts" each day!

Personally I wouldn't use a mei tei with a newborn- it would be pretty difficult to get the support they need in a mei tei. I really think ring slings, wraps, or pouches are the best for newborns (there are many cheap options or you can always sew your own)- they're very supportive. Once babies are older, holding their heads up, and have more trunk support I think mei teis are awesome and will definitely last a long time.
#19 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 03:40 PM

We have a ring sling, a homemade mei tei and an ergo. I'd like to add a stretchy wrap and maybe a woven wrap to that.

We also have a homemade amautiq (Inuit babywearing coat) for next winter.)
#20 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM
rad

We will. I have a huge stash from my 4 previous kids that were and still are worn. I've been downsizing my carrier stash, but I still have quite so may that i'm just not ready to part with yet. My first pg purchase this time was a couple pouch slings. A new one for me and one for DH.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#21 of 44 Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 PM

I had just one mai tai with DS #1 - worked wonderfully. I didn't nurse much with it (nor tried); I just sat with him or held on to him while on the move!

I think I will make a homemade Moby for this one in addition to the mt...partly b/c my mt is made with courdoroy and heavy canvas, and that sounds hot for summer....

I may see if I can get a friend to loan me the sling I bought her!
#22 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM

We wore DS, and plan to wear this little guy as well. We have one Maya Wrap, and an Ergo. We may get one more Ergo as it is our carrier of choice, and may want to be able to carry both boys for certain events, hikes, etc.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#23 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 AM

I have so many slings from ds. I already have 2 WAHM ring slings, mei tai, hmong style carrier, and ergo. I've already purchased a moby and pouch for this lo. But my favorite is still my first ever sling- my maya wrap.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#24 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

I have a momma made ring sling and mei tai already .. would love to get a moby wrap and an ergo .. really want both of those so i can take ds places and feel secure with a newborn in a carrier
#25 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM

I've still got some from dd, and I only wear a few because I really love them. I have my moby, which i love in the beginning, and my ergo for when she is older. I'm going to be selling the mammas milk aloha/fire sling I just got because dh said he'd wear it if it were a different print (hula girls are just not his thing lol) and I'll get a hotsling instead. And once I'm back to my normal shape I'll make another sling myself.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#26 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM

We will be wearing our baby for sure!!

I'm really looking forward to it.

I have a large pouch sling that I made over a year ago, but it's too deep for a wee babe.

I am buying a Mama Kangaroo Wrap tonight from a lady here in my city.

They are made by a Canadian company and I know three local mom-ladies who swear by them.

http://www.forbabywithlove.ca/en/sli...rap/index.html

I still need to measure DH. I will try to make him one myself, and I will also buy one from Hotslings.

I'll get an Ergo too.

We have a FABULOUS stroller too! An Emmaljunga convertable with chrome, leather and canvas! (got it used for a steal)

We don't have a car, and we walk to get our groceries and supplies, so wearing baby 100% of the time might not be possible when we are loaded with bundles. Plus, we can use the stroller to carry the stuff and keep wearing the baby!
#27 of 44 Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM

LOL-that is what my stroller was for, lugging all the stuff while I wore dd! She was much easier to carry strapped to my chest and push all the grocery bags, then the other way around! I'm only buying a stroller this time for going to disneyworld (we live close), but to be honest, it's because DD has a lovely imaginary story she tells me all the time about how she will sit in the stroller and hold her brother while dh and I push them around. It's just too cute, so I gotta buy one-even if it only happens once!

I made dd a sling for our kitten...
#28 of 44 Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 AM
DBZ

I've only had one sling at a time. I love wearing my baby!! I had an Over the shoulder baby holder which is a padded ring sling. It was falling apart when it grew legs. I then bought a mama made sling. I don't love it, but it is certainly functional. One weekend I left my sling at home and we were out of town so I bout a tye dye sheet and carried DD in that. Oh the looks. I'd like to make to slings out of that. I also want a mei tai and a wrap, but money is tight, so we shall see.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#29 of 44 Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Kara, wraps are easy to make! You could even make one out of that tie-dyed sheet, probably. Here's a link with great instuctions on choosing fabric and making a wrap.
#30 of 44 Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 AM

I have:

-a homemade mei-tei, which is great
-a ring-sling that I love - works for little babies held close to the chest and for toddlers in a hip carry!
-a Kelty kid-carrier backpack
-an REI kid-carrier backpack

The last two are what my husband and I used for long hikes with our two older kids; one fits my husband better and one fits me better. We LOVE those for our toddlers, and they love being up high and being able to see everything while we hike! You can even get sunshades for them, which we found really useful in the summer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page