3d&4d ultrasounds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had the oppertunity to get a session , would you???? This is my 3rd and last baby and I wanted to do something special and really wanted to do this. What do you think???
#2 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM

We're debating. We've found a place that will do them, and we can afford it with a little saving beforehand.

On the other hand...I kind've feel almost...like it's voyeurism to see my baby's face/features before he's born. It just doesn't feel...natural, kwim?

On the other hand - I've seen the pictures from the 3d/4d, and they're really amazing.
#3 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 PM

I would not unless medically indicated. It's still a somewhat invasive test, there may be effects we don't know about yet, so I would not do it just to satisfy my curiosity.
#4 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM

I would not either. I have had several people tell me that their baby was unusually active afterwards and they would not choose to do it again. And I think it's a bit odd to know almost exactly what your baby will look like before birth.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#5 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

I wouldn't. I am, however, hoping to get some really nice maternity photos done. That, and maybe a belly cast. I want to do something special too since this may be our last.
#6 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM

: I have friends who loved having theirs done - but I like imagining and think it's a bit creepy. I can see the appeal, and as I've said other folks really liked it. They didn't offer it when I had my 22 week done - and I didn't ask. I think I'll go the route of having some nice belly pics done.
#7 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 AM
mtm

I wouldn't but I'm in the u/s only for medical necessity camp.
#8 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 AM

We did it with the first pregnancy (at my count, we had something like 10 ultrasounds- IVF pregnancy, so 2 with the RE, unexplained bleeding, so one at 14w, bad triple screen, so a few with the peri, one with the amnio, and a couple after I transferred to an OB after I risked out of my midwife's care due to a baby w/Down syndrome. Oh, and the 3d, too)
Many of those were (to me) medically necessary, clearly some were not.
I probably didn't realize it at the time, but after we got the diagnosis of Down syndrome, I went back and looked at those 3d images often- and it probably helped with my coming to terms with the baby we were having, not the laundry list of complications we had been given. That doesn't really have any bearing on most people's experiences, though, you know?

This time around, we had the 20w anatomy scan, rather than any invasive chromosomal testing. This was our comfort level with the level of recurrent chromosomal issues. The 3d scan will be the second ultrasound this pregnancy, with absolutely no reason except for 'we want to'.

I'm not especially concerned about the safety of ultrasound.
stephanie
#9 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM

The choice is really up to you. I chose to have one with my DS (done at the OB office with him and not some random place in the mall), and but I don't think we will be having one this time. I think it's neat I'll be able to show DS photos and videos of him one day, although I'm thinking he'll probably be freaked out. I like the idea of nice maternity pics in place of it.
#10 of 19 Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

I ha 3D ultrasounds done with my twins. The pictures that you see on the ads are way nicer then what you actually get. And they say the pictures are better later in the pregnancy although that's a catch 22 since the later you get, the more squished they are too. And my girls looked nothing on the ultrasound like they really did when they were born. Also, I had mine done at my then OB's office. I believe the ones done at the stores are kind of hit-or-miss on if you even get someone who has been certified to do ultrasounds. There is also a strange vibrating feeling when the 3D is turned on. Something to keep in mind.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#11 of 19 Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM

I won't be getting any ultrasounds for personal indulgence reasons. I had my mid-pregnancy anatomy scan last week, and it revealed a very healthy-looking baby boy. My only problem with it was while we were at the ultrasound the baby's heart rate was 153 bpms. Of course, the tech said this rate was healthy and normal, but when I went to my midwife's office immediately afterwards, she listened with the Doppler (I'm not sure why as I had just come from the ultrasound) and the heart rate was 132 bpms, which has been more typical for the whole pregnancy. The ultrasound, which lasted just about 7-8 min, had obviously caused the baby some stress. I suggest if you get any extra ultrasounds, to observe the baby's heart rate during and to note any spikes. I've heard some of these scans can last 30min to an hour to get good images, which could be the equivalent of the time it takes to do anywhere from 3-5 or more 2d scans, so please take the time of exposure into account as well.
#12 of 19 Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 PM

If I wanted to spend money on something special to commemorate a pregnancy, I think I'd go for a maternity portrait, or a family portrait, plus some professional pictures of the baby and the big sibs after it's born. I think I would get more long-term enjoyment out of those pictures. The 3-D u/s pics creep me out a little. I don't think I'd frame one and put it in the living room.
#13 of 19 Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't unless it was medically indicated. And I guess maybe I'm the only one, but I find the 3d photos of the babies to be really weird-looking. I don't think I'd really want that sneak peek.

I like Katrinka's suggestion of some nice maternity photos or something like that. I'd love to do that someday. And they're totally non-invasive!
#14 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Plus2 View Post
I ha 3D ultrasounds done with my twins. The pictures that you see on the ads are way nicer then what you actually get. And they say the pictures are better later in the pregnancy although that's a catch 22 since the later you get, the more squished they are too. And my girls looked nothing on the ultrasound like they really did when they were born. Also, I had mine done at my then OB's office. I believe the ones done at the stores are kind of hit-or-miss on if you even get someone who has been certified to do ultrasounds. There is also a strange vibrating feeling when the 3D is turned on. Something to keep in mind.
My OB offers these, but I know our insurance doesn't pay for them so it's not something I really cared to much about. After reading the posts here I know I won't even bother. I don't think I want some strange vibrating device on my belly, I can't even imagine how the baby would feel!

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

#15 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM

I had a 4d with my first and we got some really great pictures. I did not feel any "Vibrating" or anything like what posts above have mentioned. Baby's HR did not spike or elevate...did not see any problem with it then and it was in addittion to 3 level 1 (maybe 1.5) US I had.

I chose not to get it with number 2 because it didn't seem necessary and I had read leass-is-more info regarding US.

Now, I think I am going to do it again with this pregnancy. I am pregnant with twins and we are having complications which might result in the death of one or both babies depending on how things turn out. I really want to have this US of my boys in case I don't get to meet one of them and I want to be able to share the pictures with his brother and other sibs if things don't go well. Morbid perhaps, but I am going to be having level II US weekly until birth so a 3d/4d is really not going to make that much difference (if any) in our case.
#16 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRainebeau View Post
I really want to have this US of my boys in case I don't get to meet one of them and I want to be able to share the pictures with his brother and other sibs if things don't go well. Morbid perhaps, but I am going to be having level II US weekly until birth so a 3d/4d is really not going to make that much difference (if any) in our case.
Not morbid at all. I can completely understand why you would want more detailed pictures of your little ones. I am the mama of MZ twin girls and read a lot about TTTS when I was pg and can imagine how scary it must be to be diagnosed with it. I pray that BOTH of your sweet boys arrive safely!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#17 of 19 Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 PM

Thank you 1Plus2.
#18 of 19 Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
I wouldn't but I'm in the u/s only for medical necessity camp.
:

We are not planning on getting any u/s with this wee one.
#19 of 19 Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 AM

I did the 3D/4D u/s with DS. It was my first pregnancy and I thought it would be a nice way to connect even more with him. Plus, we had had a rocky start, long story and wanted to put my mind at ease.

Seeing him in real time doing flips, sucking his thumb, smiling and tugging at the umbilical cord were amazing. The actual photos I have to agree with what was already said that often the displays look much better than the ones the tech captures but it was still a neat experience.

It was expensive since it wasn't offered through the hospital, but my mom gifted it to us. I don't plan on doing it this time around but can totally understand why you would want to see your two babies interacting with each other.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page