Mothering Forum banner

The Height of Laziness

379 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  zaner'smama 
#1 ·
We hosted a very small thanksgiving meal this year. I ordered a pre-cooked turkey and sides from a local grocery store. The cost was less than $100 for a meal to feed 12. It included turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, green beans with hazelnut and citrus glaze, dinner rolls, crandberry sauce and one pumpkin and one apple pie. - I am still exausted, just cleaning the house (well enough to have company), and heating everything up was enough. I feel like such a slug!!! The meal took about 2 hours to cook (I had to put the turkey in a roasting pan and heat it for about 2 hours).

I bow down to anyone who cooked from scratch, but man I am feeling so sluggish now!!

#2 ·
Well, I cooked everything from scratch, even made the bread that we ripped up for stuffing, but my cleaning lady did double duty this week! She even brought out my china and set the table for me. She's a family friend so it's easy to get her to do extra work to help out, especailly poor old pregnant me. It'a amazing how much pity you can get when you have a baby in your belly!
Don't worry about being lazy! You're working 24/7 growing a baby. You're allowed to take it easy!

#3 ·
wow, you guys are like.... real grownups! I went to grandma's yesterday, and was in charge of bringing salad dressing. I also was the big helper and got to help stir some stuff!!!
and today I'm going to the in-laws for a pseudo thanksgiving... and we will be bringing some cranberry bread that we cooked! But MIL had already measured out the dry ingredients for us... she just needed us to bake it!

#4 ·
We were at MIL's, and I fulfilled my traditional role as potato-masher, but chickened out on my apple-pie duty at the last minute and just brought a store-bought
:

We are hosting Thanksgiving 2.0 for FIL and his family on Sunday, though, so I still have work ahead...

#5 ·
I wasn't planning on doing much for Thanksgiving, since my DH was working a 12 hour day on the holiday itself. But the hotel he works for gave him a 20 pound turkey, so...even with 5 kids, I knew we were going to need help eating that thing. So Tuesday night, I invited my parents & my 2 youngest brothers (they are young enough to live at home) for a Wednesday night Thanksgiving supper. No big deal. Except DH was working Wednesday, too. And I felt the need to clean the dining room, which took me hours, and make side dishes and cornbread and 2 kinds of pie and brownies. DUH.
:
I was so tired afterwards, I hurt everywhere! But dinner turned out great; this is the first time we've really hosted the whole shebang.

#7 ·
I hosted dinner for our families and cooked everything from scratch. My mom baked bread rolls and my MIL made the pies. DH and I did everything else.

I actually feel very energized from doing it! I love cooking and hosting parties. I just hate the clean-up. Fortunately after we ate, my mom and MIL put all the food away and cleaned my kitchen. I just sat down and rested

#8 ·
I made my first Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. It was only for hubby and myself, but for a first-timer, that's not too bad. I've never made a turkey before. This was my first time and I'm proud to say that it was the most delicious turkey I have ever had in my life
(of course, they say that food tastes better if you cook it or grow it yourself, so maybe that's why I thought it tasted so good)

We are really poor and can't afford much food, let alone a turkey, but we got lucky this year. A monastery donated turkeys to the place where my husband works, so we got a free 13lb turkey. I happened to have one potato at home and a small leftover bag of frozen peas, so I mixed the peas into the potato which I mashed and we had that and the turkey. YUM!

I'm so glad, too! We would have been eating our turkey dinner at the homeless shelter otherwise and I really don't want to think about those smelly old hippies leaning over my food to ask me questions about my pregnancy

#11 ·
When I cook turkey I make most of the stuff from scratch. My place is so small though that no one wants to come here so we end up eating elsewhere. My mom cooked ham because turkey is too much work. Everything besides the baked potatoes came out of a can or box. I'd rather put the extra work into it and make at least some of the stuff from scratch.

#12 ·
We went to my MIL's but the food she makes is inedible so I ended making most things. I made mashed potatoes, real cranberry sauce, dressing, 2 pies, and glazed carrots.

Normally Im totally lazy about cooking but I try to make up for it on Thanksgiving.

My sister ordered her family's dinner from the grocery store and was disappointed that she still had to cook the Turkey half way. She thought that was too much work lol.

#13 ·
I love reading how I'm not the only one feeling really lazy!
We went to the inlaws for Turkey and I didn't make a thing. Hubby and I went to Rite Aid and picked up some pop.
I wasn't even allowed to help do dishes and my husband even volunteered to help! Yay him!
:
I think I might be hosting Christmas though....

Oh, and pie crusts are so difficult for me to make too. I don't even think my rate is 50% successful.
But I'm stubborn and keep on trying. I love pie and have a bunch of fruit in my freezer that I need to put to use!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.