Midwife wants to see me tomorrow. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling nauseous. Add to that the contractions and loose stools the last few days and dh decided I needed to call her (I was avoiding it)

She wants me to come in at 2 tomorrow. Said we'll do a urinalysis and a culture to check for bacteria, etc. Then she said I need to do some reflecting and see if there is something that could be causing psychosomatic (is that the right term?) stuff. As in my mind is playing tricks on me. That made me feel so stupid, which I'm sure isn't her intention. But I just feel like maybe she thinks everything is ok and that I'm causing it, even if not intentionally. But they are very real, and very painful, and 5-10 minutes apart tonight! I'm not imagining that, and I don't see any fear of mine that could be causing it. If anything, I'm more relaxed with this pregnancy than I have been since the beginning. Ayla could make it on the outside, she's healthy, active, etc. I'm not scared of losing her. But I am sick of not being able to do anything! What if we find that everything is ok tomorrow, then what? God I just feel so stupid.

As for checking the cervix....I decided to try it myself. I can feel it when lying down, and it feels long still, and soft. But I can stick my fingertip in the opening a tiny bit before it gets to the closed point. Is that dilation of just excess folds or what? I know I'm hitting the right spot, my cervix and I got to be pretty comfortable the last 18 months after all. Does that sound ok though?

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#2 of 57 Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 PM

I have had almost the same symptoms with the stomach flu. Stay hydrated and feel better! As far as your cervix. I don't think that is abnormal as long as it is long still you are probably fine.
#3 of 57 Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 PM

I am glad you called your midwife.
I know you have been having trouble with contractions for a while...is it possible that this nausea/loose stools is a virus you got? Anyone else you know sick with a stomach thing? Obviously, loose stools can be a sign of labor, but gastrointestinal distress can definitely make you contract more.
It's so hard to tell, though, which is why it's always better to go in and get checked out.
I'm sorry your midwife made you feel bad by asking if your contractions could be psychosomatic. That would upset me a lot! It's really, really hard when your body does not behave like the typical pregnant woman's body and your caregivers don't know what to make of it.
Sending hugs and "less than 4 an hour" contraction vibes your way.
#4 of 57 Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
DBZ

Maybe your midwife meant that something psychological is triggering you to have contractions, loose stools, etc. like an unconscience fear that you'll deliver early? Or that what your experiencing is braxton hicks and your mind is making everything feel worse. Try using your mind to work for you by seeing your uterus calm and your baby being so content that she plans on staying in till March 21.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Well, I'm not your mw , but I will say that loose stools often cause contractions. As the uterus is a sympathetic organ, if anything around it contracts (bladder, intestines, etc.) it will likely do the same. Not to mention the loose stools also make it more likely that you will become or are dehydrated, leading to more frequent contractions. Sounds to me like some intenstinal issues may be causing all the contractions you are having. Drink tons of water and sit in the warm bath - have you tried that at all? And are you taking anything that could be contributing to the diarrhea? Heartburn meds, high doses of alfalfa, etc.? If so, I would suggest backing off on those as well. As for your cervix, sounds normal to me. You have one child already so I woudn't expect it to be completely closed at any point.

I hope this helps or at least provides you with some reassurance.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#6 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 01:37 AM

Hope tomorrow's visit brings lots of reassurance and a better sense of what may be going on. Big to you for having to go through this and also second-guessing yourself as to what is going on... You're NOT stupid and even if your mind is somehow influencing your uterus right now, exactly what are you supposed to do about that? : I imagine acupuncture, relaxation tapes, or other guided relaxation strategies might be beneficial -- but they'd probably be beneficial to us all! But keep in mind that you're doing the best you can and coping the best you can and caring for this babe the best you can. Don't beat yourself up!
#7 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone.

Nichole: I've tried everything, and have been struggling with this for about 2.5 weeks now. I'm on calc/magn. supps as well as fish oil and extra protein. Of course hydration was the first thing I did. Baths help with the pain, but don't hold off the contractions. And the loose stools are just in the last few days, I haven't had any problems before this.

She did call back. I told her it had upset me what she'd said, and she said that what she'd meant was that my contractions were causing more anxieties and fears, not the other way around. She also wants to know if we want to do the ffn (fetal fibronectin test) on friday morning. She thinks it might be reassuring for both parties. What do you guys think? We'll still go in tomorrow, but I think I might do it.
She also said that she trusts my evaluation of my cervix, because I have so much experience with it (how bad does that sound?!)

So now I wait. If we can't find a cause, at least I can rest assured that I won't go into labor soon.

I'll update you all tomorrow, hopefully.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#8 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 AM

Hope everything goes well tomorrow! I wish I had something solid to offer, but I can only give you s I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#9 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 AM

I'm sorry I didn't have anything helpful to add, but hope all is well and look forward to reading your update for tomorrow. The FFN test....eh. Not exactly the most accurate thing out there and what will you do with the info. I guess that's the biggest thing, is how will the results influence what you are already doing? Once you decide that, it may make it easier for you to decide which way to go with the testing. Good luck and I hope you get a somewhat restful night.

#10 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 02:27 AM

Good luck tomorrow! You're in my thoughts...
#11 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM

Thinking of you, hope things go well tomorrow. Keep taking great care of yourself - you're being a wonderful mama to this little babe already.
#12 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 AM

If you do the FFN test, she can check your cervix while she's at it. If you haven't had one before, the test itself is only about as unpleasant as a pap smear. If she tells you your cervix is closed and you get a negative FFN test...that could give you permission to not worry so much about the contractions. At least for me, in past pregnancies, it's been a little soothing thought in the back of my mind when I was getting lots of contractions & on bed rest and all that.
This time, having just had the positive FFN test, it is like a stern little voice in my head saying "TAKE IT EASY!", which is probably something I really needed. And I've had the betamethasone shots just in case.
Again, good luck tomorrow. I do know how hard this is, since this is my 3rd pregnancy dealing with the same thing. :
#13 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

it isnt uncommon for a second and more time mom to be afinger tip dilated. I wouldnt worry about that.
And it sounds maybe like the flu or something. take it easy and drink water LOL
#14 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Jillybeans--I'll keep you in my thoughts. It is best to go and get checked out but please don't feel "stupid" if it's "nothing". It's not nothing, you're feeling it, right?! Just b/c your mw might not see anything doesn't mean that you're making it up. It's your body and you know it best. I'm praying that it's all good news and that you just have to allow yourself some additional rest (gosh, I know I'm needing it lately too). Be good to yourself.

As for you cervix--you've given birth before so your cervix is naturally a little softer, especially the os (opening). I think it's good that it seems to be long and that you can feel that it is in fact closed.

I'm praying for you. Please update us when you know something. We're all rootin' for you.

#15 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Good luck tomorrow Mama. All my thoughts and s are with you...
#16 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Thinking of you and hope all goes well tomorrow.
#17 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM

Hope your visit goes well!
#18 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

I hope all went well. I've been thinking about you today.
#19 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Thinking of you, and hoping that all went well today.

I have been contracting a lot (at times more than 40 x a day!!!) for a few weeks also. I have noticed that it is much, much better when I sit/lay down. That is very reassuring (other than the fact that it's hard to stay off of my feet!) I have made some changes at work to help me stay off my feet, but I think I will need to cut back further. It's so hard . . . . .but really important.

I hope we get to hang out here together for a few more months!
#20 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Hope things went well. Keep us posted!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#21 of 57 Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 PM

The FFN isn't a great test. I've seen it be wrong both ways.

I hope you're feeling better!

Jenn
#22 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 AM
DBZ

I hope all is ok.

#23 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Just checking in to see how you're doing. Hope all is well with you and the little one.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#24 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm on bedrest, strict bedrest, for a week. I had a bunch of contractions 5-7 min apart while in her office, and was a fingertip dilated, really really soft, REALLY anterior. Cervix was still 3cm long, but she sent me to the doc. He did an u/s and said he wants to do another in a week to see if there is any change. He wanted me on terbutaline, but that made me crazy after one dose, so midwife said strict bedrest since that helps me. So I need prayers that next thursday will bring good news.

#25 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 05:14 PM
DBZ

egads! I hope your uterus starts relaxing.

#26 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 PM

Hope your bedrest does you some good, Jill! You'll be in my thoughts.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#27 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Oh, no, mama..... So glad you went in to see your mw - I wish it was better news. Bedrest is no fun. I've been thinking about you these past few days and hoping that things were improving and will continue to do so. Hang in there mama, and take it wasy if you can.
#28 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 PM

I am so sorry and was of course hoping for much better news. Rest up and keep that little one cooking for as long as you can. Did you say you have PTL last time as well? Thoughts and prayers for an uneventful week coming your way!

#29 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

small update: Called my ob to make an appt for thursday and talked with the nurse midwife there. They said they want to see me monday now instead. She told me that the combo of all of the things going on is making them nervous and they don't want to wait a week and have things happen. She also explained the cervix stuff, and I guess now that I'm anterior, soft and a bit dilated, I won't ever go back. That most likely I'll be on some form of bedrest the rest of pregnancy. This afternoon I took a half dose of terb. because I was starting to contract more regularly without doing anything, then took a nap. It helped some, luckily. I also lost a bit of mucus plug, which they said could be normal now that I'm a bit dilated.

#30 of 57 Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 PM

I hope everything is okay and that you have some help during your bedrest. You are in our thoughts! Positive keep that baby in there vibes in your direction!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page