Tired and Angry ALL THE TIME! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this normal? I know hormones can do all kinds of things but I am just so angry all the time and lashing out. I work in customer service and this is not good. I end up blowing up or hanging up on people if they get even a little bit upset. People are starting to notice and ask me what's wrong but I don't have an answer. Also, I am just so tired all the time. All I can do is work my 8 hours and then I go home and I am just dead...but it's impossible to sleep through the entire night, not just because I have to get up and pee but I end up waking up several times for no reason and just laying there for 10 or 15 minutes. This feels like it happens about 3-5 times a night and then I wake up so tired. I only feel normal on the weekends when I'm able to take a nap in the middle of the day but they aren't going to let me do that at work. I just feel miserable all the time and I thought the second trimester was suppose to be so great Anyone else having these problems?

Ally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 PM

I bet the tiredness has a lot to do with the anger--I get REALLY short-tempered when I'm sleep deprived (which, alas, is most of the time). I would do something to try to get better sleep at night (might be the last time for like 10 years!): take some Tylenol PM before bed, or have a glass of wine and a warm bath, and see if those help. Are you comfortable in bed? Do you have a body pillow? Maybe see a chiro?

Also, any way you could nap on your lunch break? Even 45 minutes might make a big difference.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 12:25 PM

It *is* normal, though not a universal experience or something that will necessarily last your whole pregnancy, to be really cranky. It's hard to have a job where you have to be nice to people! I teach, but it's easier for me to hold it together since I spend most of my time alone and only a few hours in direct interaction with students. Still, I am much less patient when they complain about assignments or email me at odd hours asking for meetings at short notice.

Along with trying to get more sleep, you might try thinking about whether there are any specific things you are angry *about*. If I get steamed up about some specific stress, it makes it harder to hold it together in general. If you can eliminate some of your stresses, or at least take them out and have a good look at them, you might have an easier time overall.

Eight hours is a long time to keep it together, so you might also try to reward yourself with a long nap or an activity you really enjoy once you finish work. And doing something in your lunch and breaks that helps you get away from it! Sleep sounds good, but hey, maybe reading a novel or playing computer games or something would also help you unwind.

Good luck!

#4 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaduMama View Post
I bet the tiredness has a lot to do with the anger--I get REALLY short-tempered when I'm sleep deprived (which, alas, is most of the time). I would do something to try to get better sleep at night (might be the last time for like 10 years!): take some Tylenol PM before bed, or have a glass of wine and a warm bath, and see if those help. Are you comfortable in bed? Do you have a body pillow? Maybe see a chiro?

Also, any way you could nap on your lunch break? Even 45 minutes might make a big difference.
HA! Like I get more then 30 minutes for lunch around here : And I know they won't care that I need more time...all they care about is numbers around here and if I'm not on the phone it hurts their stupid numbers.

As for tylenol PM...I didn't think it was safe for the baby to be taking that on a regular basis. I don't want to take any drugs if I can help it. I am comfortable, I have no pains and even the baby kicking doesn't really bother me...I seem to be able to fall asleep even if she's active.

I'm thinking of asking to go to a 30 hour work week but I have to call HR first and find out if that will affect my maternity leave pay...and then I have to try and convince them to give me a 30 hour work week which will be another battle.

I think part of the problem is my diet...I know I don't eat enough protein but I don't know when I'm suppose to cook for myself when I'm sleeping all the time and I can't afford to eat out all the time or get premade stuff .

I just don't think I can handle this for much longer

Ally
#5 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM

Hi Ally,

I can totally sympathize with the not being able to cook when tired. Something I try to do to help with the protein thing is keep some "fast food" ready - high quality peanut butter on crackers, yogurt, cottage cheese, a few slices of my favorite cheddar, eggs! (If you like eggs, they can be so great because any way you cook them you are looking at just minutes to a hot meal - I buy 2 dozen a week, and then eat them fried with a piece of toast or scrambled) Also, I find Alaskan Salmon (safest fish for pregnancy) canned and reasonably priced on Amazon with free shipping. I use it to make fast salmon patties or mix straight from the can with mayo and top crackers.

Also, on the weekends when I feel a little more rested, I make big amounts of protein foods that I can just reheat through the week for lunch or dinner, like meat loaf (yummy with mashed potatoes or sliced on a quick sandwich), chili, beef stew, spaghetti (make a big pan of meat sauce, and then just heat noodles up to mix with it when you are ready to eat), pork roast in the crockpot, or Italian beef in the crockpot.

I can't really eat out because of food allergies, so I am pretty good at finding stuff at home to eat when I'm starved and tired, so if you need any recipes or anything, feel free to PM me.
#6 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom80 View Post
Hi Ally,

I can totally sympathize with the not being able to cook when tired. Something I try to do to help with the protein thing is keep some "fast food" ready - high quality peanut butter on crackers, yogurt, cottage cheese, a few slices of my favorite cheddar, eggs! (If you like eggs, they can be so great because any way you cook them you are looking at just minutes to a hot meal - I buy 2 dozen a week, and then eat them fried with a piece of toast or scrambled) Also, I find Alaskan Salmon (safest fish for pregnancy) canned and reasonably priced on Amazon with free shipping. I use it to make fast salmon patties or mix straight from the can with mayo and top crackers.

Also, on the weekends when I feel a little more rested, I make big amounts of protein foods that I can just reheat through the week for lunch or dinner, like meat loaf (yummy with mashed potatoes or sliced on a quick sandwich), chili, beef stew, spaghetti (make a big pan of meat sauce, and then just heat noodles up to mix with it when you are ready to eat), pork roast in the crockpot, or Italian beef in the crockpot.

I can't really eat out because of food allergies, so I am pretty good at finding stuff at home to eat when I'm starved and tired, so if you need any recipes or anything, feel free to PM me.
thanks for the tip...I probably should mention I am lactose intolerant (although yogurt and cheese are ok, not cottage cheese) and still have morning sickness (though mostly at night) so eggs, yogurt and cheese mostly make me think of the toilet bowl I know, I'm a mess. The salmon patties sound good though...do you have a recipe?

Ally
#7 of 17 Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM

Did you happen to see my "I'm so angry" thread the other day? You are definitely not alone.

I have been having some pretty wicked mood swings that involve some very angry feelings. I wanted to crawl in a hole on Tuesday. I think my swings have a lot to do with sleep deprivation and stress.

Exercise usually helps me clear my head. Unfortunately, I have to stay off my feet so I don't even have that as an outlet right now.

Hang in there! I hope you are able to find something to help you let off steam.
#8 of 17 Old 12-08-2007, 05:50 PM

I have been extremely moody and short tempered from the beginning. I hate this person that I have become when I am pg, but I know it is only short term, and I will be my normal laid back self in a few months. I blame it on not being able to take a nap during the day like I did with the other two pregnancies, and not being able to sleep well at night because of getting up to pee 50 times a night and my active mind when I am laying there. I have found that some me time at night helps, but by mid afternoon the next day I am right back where I started.

Emily, mama to DD 03/04, DS 01/06, DS 03/08, and DD due 11/20/11cd.gifbfinfant.gif

#9 of 17 Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 AM

You can take Calms Forte while pg- it's homeopathic. It doesn't knock me out but does help me calm down and drift off.

Also, if the tiredness is a new thing, I was talking to my mw about it at my 24 wk appt and she said I was at the right time for hemoventing or something like that, I don't remember. Should have asked her to explain more but I didn't. (Too tired to care I guess, lol) She said it happens for a few weeks right around this time and then I should be back to normal soon. And she was sure that was what was going on too b/c the bottom number of my bp was lower than normal. Still waiting for it to go away. . .
#10 of 17 Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieAlly View Post
so eggs, yogurt and cheese mostly make me think of the toilet bowl
Ally
I have the same problem w/ eggs - I manage to cook them for my little monster, but can't eat them most ways- also, almonds are a handy, take with you protein and are chock full of other nutrients, too- i need mine salted- I just get a big batch at the bulk bins and take a bag in the car to munch as i go.

So sorry about the hours - that sounds like the biggest stress - hope it works out to shorten them.

You are very admirable. If I were in your shoes, I would have gone postal long ago and solved the whole problem by winding up pregnant in prison. Normally I believe in peace and harmony and all that good stuff, but without sleep, it's all an intellectual ivory tower rumination. Hmmmmmmn- do they let pregnant women sleep in prison????

Meanwhile, sending many zzzzzz thoughts your way.:
#11 of 17 Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Ally - Hope you're feeling a bit better! It is nice to see that others are also struggling...

Had to at myself this morning when ds and I got up early. He was crying loudly about having milk on his cereal (after I'd checked to be sure he wanted milk), I asked him 3 times to take a breath and try to quiet down b/c daddy was sleeping, AND THEN I SCREAMED "Be quiet! Daddy is trying to sleep!" Umm... not very effective parenting or partnering.
#12 of 17 Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM

I've had a really bad week, along these lines. I swear I cannont function on less than 9 hours of sleep these days, and bottom line, I'm just not getting that much, no matter how hard I try.

Three days ago, in particular, I basically had a yelling/screaming fit all morning. I felt like such a HORRIBLE mommy, I wanted to calm down and be cheerful, but I just couldn't seem to do it. It was a really good thing we were out of the house the rest of the day, so my kids were distracted enough not to set me off. And the other days this week haven't been much better. I just haven't been happy at all. Even the cute things my kids do, or the extra nice things DH does, none of it makes me cheer up - I'm just in a mode like I don't care, and I just need a break. And not like a break for an evening, but a break for a good solid week, or something.

I haven't been taking any supplements besides my prenatal vitamins, and I also have some skin issues going on, so I decided to get some good quality EFA supplements. I hope hope hope they will make a difference in my mood.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#13 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 AM

I can very much relate to the cranky tired pregnant woman syndrome. I have definitely tied it to diet. If I eat right with loads of protein, I am okay. I really worry because I can be a bit of a bear with my two kiddos. It is getting better and I am reminding them and me to eat healthy. Protein, floradix, alfalfa and chlorophyll seem to improve things exponentially.

PM
#14 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 02:48 AM

I've noticed my patience is quite thin these days.

I just had my blood re-tested and I've fallen into the anemic category, which explains my fatigue. So I'm starting iron supplements tonight and am hoping that helps with the fatigue.

One friend suggested that Vitamin B6 helped her with the third trimester fatigue.
#15 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Im horribly evil since being pregnant... people just irritate me, lol. My dh especially...I think he hates me right now because im so mean! But oh well... i dont feel good, this kid is always pushing on something or other, and i cant seem to gain weight :/ so nope, im not in a cheery mood, lol.

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#16 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj7 View Post

One friend suggested that Vitamin B6 helped her with the third trimester fatigue.
Interesting. I have heard great things about B6 and mood management (including depression if it hasn't reached the "clinical" stage), but didn't know it might help with fatigue.

My mood has actually improved the last day or so, partly b/c I realized that ds was clearly testing me to get more attention and I could perhaps head that off with lots of positive attention...
#17 of 17 Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKMama View Post
Interesting. I have heard great things about B6 and mood management (including depression if it hasn't reached the "clinical" stage), but didn't know it might help with fatigue.
My MIL has often referred to B vitamins as "energy" vitamins. I was taking B during the 1st trimester, I should really re-start that now that I'm feeling tired again.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page