Immunizations - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my daughter, I started out pretty much on schedule, but started delaying slightly the older she got and the more I was exposed to vaccine information. And skipped chicken pox and flu altogether (I have always hated the idea of both those vaccines).

With my son, I initially submitted a very delayed plan with my pediatrician. But we butted heads a lot in his very early months and I totally lost any trust in her, and then also found more and more that I just didn't feel comfortable doing vax's at all at that stage in DS's life. So then I decided to delay to 2 years. And then 2 years rolled around and he still felt too young to be injecting things into him. So right now I'm trying to decide possibly starting certain selective vaccines at 3 years, or just going completely non-vaccinated and leaving the choice up to him when he is an adult.

The new baby will definitely be on at least the same "schedule" as DS, with no vaccines at all, if I ever do any, until at least 2-3 years.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#32 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
DD is almost 4 and has had no vaccines. We do not plan to vax this babe either. DD has had measles and been exposed to chicken pox but never had any symptoms.
#33 of 46 Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzuranotte View Post
I intend to take a religous exemption. Unless of course they pass a philosophical one, which many people are working on. My point was, in the eyes of the state and therefore schools they are not optional, but required.
Hey, I didn't realize anyone else here as from Jersey!

I was also irritated (to say the least) with the new regulations. Thankfully we're not doing daycare or preschool, but Gods know there's enough required to go to public school.

Have you thought of going to a pox party for Varicella instead of the shot? That's what I'll be doing. I might try to find some Rubella as well, though I know I can't count on being able to.
#34 of 46 Old 12-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
have you thought of going to a pox party for Varicella instead of the shot? That's what I'll be doing. I might try to find some Rubella as well, though I know I can't count on being able to.
I know this isnt directed to me but i am crabby. I have missed rubella twice! And we tried went to a pox party and none of us got it. Those are the 2 iwant dd to get.
#35 of 46 Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
I know this isnt directed to me but i am crabby. I have missed rubella twice! And we tried went to a pox party and none of us got it. Those are the 2 iwant dd to get.
How do you even find Rubella? I mean, who gets Rubella anymore?

Love your quote by the way. I'll have remember that so I can use it on critics!
#36 of 46 Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
How do you even find Rubella? I mean, who gets Rubella anymore?

Love your quote by the way. I'll have remember that so I can use it on critics!
Two diff kids in playgroup had it. One fully vaxd and one unvaxd at two diff times.

Thanks I still want to put it on a tshirt.
#37 of 46 Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 AM

not vaccinating here-- we will ONLY get vit K if the birth is especially traumatic for the baby. I dont want it prophylactically, just if its abosolutely needed. After extensive research, I dont think any of teh vaccines are worth the risks for us.

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#38 of 46 Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to the mamas who recommended "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. I ordered it, got it a couple of days ago and I'm almost done with it. It is very informative and unbiased. It's also easy to read. I highly recommend it for all parents who are confused about whether to vax or not. Thanks!
#39 of 46 Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 PM

I am confused about what to do regarding vaccinations.

I don't want to pump my child full of vaccines, but I would like to selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. However, in NJ it seems you have to be all or nothing - they just mandated flu shots for daycare, if I complete a religious exemption form then surely my Dr. will expect me not to vaccinate for anything??

And would anyone else be bothered by the idea of flying to the UK with a 2 month old who has no vaccinations?

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#40 of 46 Old 12-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Stelly, look up the NJ regulations. It's true that there are a lot of vax required here, but there are also a lot that aren't required. It is possible to do some vax and not have to load your child up on them.

The problem with a religious exemption here is that you can't just sign a form. You have to write a letter stating exactly what religion you and and what the specific belief is that prevents you from vaxxing. They're really strict. And if you manage to get a religious examption then decide that you want just a couple of vax, I'm not sure what would happen if the state found out. They might revoke your exemption entirely, forcing you to get all the required vax, because NJ is just that way.
#41 of 46 Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 AM

There are several people working on a philosophical exemption. If you like I'll send you some info, so we can help get this passed. I'm in NJ also.
#42 of 46 Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM

We vaxed DS1 to 12m, mostly because I was so busy researching other things that I never got around to it (grumble, grumble). But at 12m, we stopped vaxing altogether, and are so hapy with the decision. DS has never been healthier than when we stopped vaxing.

We originally decided we would delay and do an alternative schedule, but the more we read and learned, the more it just came to be that we stopped. We have NO intentions of vaxing our new little March baby.

Nevertheless, it is a totally personal decision. Just know that whatever you decide, you can always change your mind later. That's for sure.
#43 of 46 Old 12-26-2007, 06:52 PM

no vaxing for us.

Dd was vaxed up until 5 months on a delayed schedule, so she did not get all of them. But after her 5 month shot(can't remember which one) she always acted slightly different She only had like 2 well baby visits, actually.

She is fine, but I often wonder if that is what caused somewhat of a delay in speech.

I won't get on my soapbox here either. Too tired for that right now. What I will say is that Siah never had any, and this baby won't either. My kids are too sensitive. if they want to get them when they are old enough to make the choice, so be it.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#44 of 46 Old 12-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvh View Post
Just know that whatever you decide, you can always change your mind later. That's for sure.
How can you change your mind later? Once the injections are done, there's no going back. You can't take them back out.
The common thinking is delay until you are certain for this very reason. You cannot take them back out!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#45 of 46 Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 PM

I'm guessing she meant that you can always decide to stop. You can't take back what you've already given, but you don't have to give any more.
#46 of 46 Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmagrlpa View Post
I highly reccommend Dr. Sears Vaccination Book. He is not anti or pro vax and the book is EXTREMELY informative. He suggests an alternataive vax schedule.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/index.asp
Thank you so much for the recommendation! I have been so frustrated trying to find straightforward, unbiased information. I got Dr. Sears' book 3 days ago, and I'm already about halfway through. I feel so much better now, feeling like I can make an informed decision. FYI, based on what I've read so far, we'll probably do a delayed, pared-down vax schedule.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page