Immunizations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everybody doing or done in the past with immunizations? I definitely do not want the Hep.B. shot right in the hospital (I can't believe that they do this right after the baby is born) and was shocked at the toxic ingredients that make up vaccinations!

Is there a balance....do you believe that some may be more important than others? It seems that many of the immunizations are for illnesses that are not even life-threatening and actually build a child's own natural immunity!
#2 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM

The vaccination forum has a lot of info on vaccines, but most posters there are very anti-vax, so beware.

We are delaying all vaccines until at least 6 months, possibly 1 year. We are NOT doing the vitamin k shot or the eye goop at birth.
#3 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 PM

DD was fully vacccinated up until a year... no MMR or Varicella. DS got 2 shots. I wish I hadn't crumbled under the dr's pressure. I can't remember what, but they were individual vaccines, not 3 in 1 or 5 in 1. This baby will get none.

My questioning started with the chickenpox vaccine. I myself had recieved many of the vaccines and was fine. But after some thought... my allergies were at there worst in the years following the vaccines I recieved for college. I remember them painfully, not the shot, but whatever was in it coursing through my arm. It was an unnerving feeling. The more research I did the less willing I was to subject my children to these shots. It is counter intuitive to me, to inject my kids with known poisons under the guise of medicine.
#4 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 PM

I have never vaccinated any of my children. My oldest is 19.
I will not be vaccinating this baby either.
I have been very happy and confident with my choice.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#5 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 12:59 PM

This baby won't be getting anything for at least the first year, maybe 2. My oldest 2 were vaccinated. My 2.5 year old had one round of shots after the Dr. guilt tripped me into getting them. I was so ticked off at myself b/c I had decided against it, I never went back to the Dr.

I went to a session that Dr. Sears gave at the La Leche League International Conference this year. His vaccination schedule seemed fairly logical. You could pick up a copy of his book, The Vaccine Book, if you are interested. There's also some info on the AskDrSears website.

GL!
#6 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM

We haven't vaccinated our first, and will not vaccinate this babe either. I refuse to call them immunizations, lol.
#7 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 01:45 PM

I vaccinated DS as the Dr.'s had scheduled all the way to 12 or 18 months. Since then my son has been diagnosed with PDD (Pervasive Development Disorder, type of Autism) and SID (Sensory Integration Disorder/Dysfunction). So NO, I will not be vaccinating this baby nor will DS get anymore.

I have family members who do a delayed vaccination routine and so far, it is working for her but for my children it’s just not the thing to do.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#8 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 01:58 PM

I am picking and choosing. some I am okay with. some I think are not needed. That said. I am also putting off vaccinating until my lil man is older. Aviva Romm's vaccinations book was really helpful to me.
#9 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 PM

I am still trying to decide. (Hubby thinks we should vaccinate, but leaves the decision to me since I research it). We will certainly delay for at least 6 months, but maybe a year... if we do any at all. I've read several books and so much information online, but still feel unsure. It's a really hard decision. Especially when it comes to tetanus.
With my son, we vaccinated on schedule until he was 6 months then quit when I really started researching.
I'm currently reading "Raising a Vaccine Free Child" by Wendy Lydall and learning a lot. I'm glad to have this book for reference in case we ever do deal with any childhood diseases.
Betsy

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08
#10 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 03:51 PM

I will be vaxing, but on a slightly delayed schedule. No vit. K or eye goop, no Hep vaxes at all (I don't believe it's worthwhile for a child...when he's a teenager we'll talk about it). Here's what I've come up with so far:

2 m – DtaP, Rota
3 m – Pneumo, Haemo Flu B
4 m – DtaP, Rota
5 m – Pneumo, Haemo
6 m – DtaP, Rota
7 m – Pneumo, Haemo
9 m – Polio
12 m – Polio, Mumps
15 m – Pneumo, Haemo
18 m – DtaP
2 y – Polio, Rubella
2 ½ y – Rubella
3 y – Measles
3 ½ y – Mumps

or

3 m – Rota
4 m – DtaP
5 m – Rota
6 m – DtaP
7 m – Rota
9 m – DtaP
12 m – Hep B
15 m – Polio
18 m – Hep B
2 y – Polio
2 ½ y – Hep B
3 y – Rubella
3 ½ y – Measles
4 y – Mumps
4 ½ y - Polio
5 y – DtaP
5 ½ - Measles

This might even be spread out or changed even more. I need to pick a pedi soon and have a discussion. Definitely no more than two shots at a time, and no combos except for the DtaP. MMR will be split into its components. I'll be attending a pox party for Varicella. The Rotavirus is in grey because I'm still researching it, so it could be taken off the list or moved.
#11 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 PM

In the hospital we are doing no eye goop, no vitmain K and no Hep B......if the baby is a preemie though, we will get the vitamin K.

After that? No vaxs period.
#12 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM

**refusing to get on soapbox**

DD has had no vaccines and never will unless she is 18yo, has the information and makes an informed choice about her own body. This baby will have no vaccines, either.

Jenn
#13 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM

No vax for us either.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#14 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Both girls had the vaccinations, as will this baby. But not the 'optional' vax's like chickepox or flu. Yes, I believe some are more important than others, like menengitis is pretty scary, so my kids get that vax.
#15 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Ooohhh, this is a tough decision and one that I have spent many hours researching and agonizing over.
We did no hep shot for DS. I looked into doing liquid vit k but decided to get the shot because dh has a history of blood clotting difficulties as a child. Since we were transferred to the hospital from home last time we got the eye goop. The hospital is where all those staph germs are. If we are able to avoid the hospital this time we will skip the eye goop.

I have been vaccinating ds on a slow, delayed schedule. I started at about 6 months and he only gets one shot at a time. I do not do the combo vax's. I will only do measles and mumps for him when we are ready. Boys do not need Rubella. I have been picking and choosing with the help of my very supportive, wonderful dr. We will skip on chicken pox and none of us get flu shots.

I really feel like it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. This is the compromise I have been able to live with. Every person has to make their own decision.
#16 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj7 View Post
Both girls had the vaccinations, as will this baby. But not the 'optional' vax's like chickepox or flu. Yes, I believe some are more important than others, like menengitis is pretty scary, so my kids get that vax.
Unfortunately, here, chickenpox is not optional and as of next sepetmeber preschool and daycare kids will be required to get the flu shot. Gotta love Jersey... home of Merck.
#17 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 PM

We have done all the standard vaccinations on the schedule recommended to me by the pediatrician we see. My husband and I did the research and decided we were comfortable with that. I do know several moms who delayed vaccines and many who choose not to vax at all. I think this is a highly personal decision that each parent needs to make for there own child. I don't think there is a "right decision" but maybe a decision that is right for you and your family. Good luck making making this decision.
#18 of 46 Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM

I highly reccommend Dr. Sears Vaccination Book. He is not anti or pro vax and the book is EXTREMELY informative. He suggests an alternataive vax schedule.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/index.asp
#19 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Great thread! DH and I were just talking about this today and how we need to do research and make a decision.

At the very least, we want to delay vax. But we haven't done much research.

It's great to read people's reasons for their decisions. Thanks!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#20 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 12:36 AM

We will be vaccinating this baby, just as we did G. I have researched my decision, and feel comfortable with the risk/benefit balance.

Like Bellejar said, it's a highly personal decision we each need to make for our own children/families.
#21 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 04:54 AM

One of my favoriite non-MDC sires is vaclib.org
there is a great article (with citations) under the Science --> Basic Facts section. Also, there is information for ever state concerning exemptions, etc. Good resource - even if its just for research.
#22 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the tip about Dr. Sears' vaccination schedule! I know a lot of people disagree with me here, and I totally respect that - but I am not anti-vaccine. : So I think we'll do some/most of them, spread out, and as delayed as we think reasonable. For example, here I think it's standard (but no longer obligatory) to get the tuberculosis vaccine - but I believe there is no risk of my baby catching it (there are living condition risk factors for TB) so that will be a no. Chicken pox, flu and things babies have no risk of catching (hep b?) will be no.
#23 of 46 Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM

No vaccines here either. When my kids are 18+ they can choose to if they want to.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#24 of 46 Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnutmama View Post
This baby won't be getting anything for at least the first year, maybe 2. My oldest 2 were vaccinated. My 2.5 year old had one round of shots after the Dr. guilt tripped me into getting them. I was so ticked off at myself b/c I had decided against it, I never went back to the Dr.

I went to a session that Dr. Sears gave at the La Leche League International Conference this year. His vaccination schedule seemed fairly logical. You could pick up a copy of his book, The Vaccine Book, if you are interested. There's also some info on the AskDrSears website.

GL!
I was at the same session!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#25 of 46 Old 12-17-2007, 07:20 PM

We do not vaccinate.
#26 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 02:24 AM

No vaccines for us!

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
#27 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 had pretty much everything because I never thought to question it. DD2 didn't have any until she was about a year old, and she's 29 months and still "behind." She's had three rounds, I think.

This one won't have any for at least a year. I do like them to have the tetnus and polio (I know it's almost impossible to get, but my grandfather is paralyzed from it so I just can't emotionally get over denying it even though I logically can). I really need to pick up Dr. Sear's book, I've heard it's great. No vitamin K or anything after birth, either.
#28 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzuranotte View Post
Unfortunately, here, chickenpox is not optional and as of next sepetmeber preschool and daycare kids will be required to get the flu shot. Gotta love Jersey... home of Merck.
Nope, you should still be able to get out of them--New Jersey has a religious exemption that still applies to both of those.
#29 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM

We are planning a homebirth.

We won't be doing the Vitamin K unless there is birth trauma and there is substantiated fear of bleeding being a problem.

No eye goop.

No Hep B shot.

We will be delaying and reducing the number of shots. Pumping that amount of vaccine into a tiny newborn is really counter-intuitive to me.

We will be staying around our apartment and the chances of he or she contracting any of these diseases in the first few months of life are slim to none.

However, as our child gets older, he or she will be out and about more often, and will be in contact with random people, and we could be travelling so I think it's important that he or she be protected against the diseases that can be contagious and are deadly: Polio, Diptheria, Tetanus, etc.

We will most likely pass on the flu, chicken pox, mumps (if it's a girl) and others that aren't as likely or serious.

We will also be giving these shots one at a time, and trying to reduce the doses as much as we can.

I'm ordering some books now!!!

Trin
#30 of 46 Old 12-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjulie View Post
Nope, you should still be able to get out of them--New Jersey has a religious exemption that still applies to both of those.
I intend to take a religous exemption. Unless of course they pass a philosophical one, which many people are working on. My point was, in the eyes of the state and therefore schools they are not optional, but required.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page