Sterilizing used bottles and nipples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A mother of older twins has offered me her used bottles and nipples (Born Free, I think), and I would like to take her up on that. Is it possible to properly sterilize these? If so, how do you think I should do it?

Thanks!

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#2 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Put them in boiling water if you are worried about sterilizing. Although I have to say I have never sterilized a bottle or nipple, although my girls really didn't use them much either.
#3 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM

you can absolutely sterilize them and should! Here's a link on how to clean and sterilize (with all your options) http://www.babycenter.ca/baby/formula/sterilising/ My brother formula feeds his daughter (adoption situation) and uses a microwave sterilizer designed to work with avent bottles (which is what they use...)

I would ask how old the bottles are though. All plastics break down to some extent eventually.
#4 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

The donor's babies are 11 months old, and I think she got the bottles and nipples new. Is that too old?

And thank you for that link! It says bottles can be sterilized in the microwave after 90 seconds - I assume that's 90 seconds on "High"?

Do you have to sterilize the bottles/nipples after every use, like that website says? I had no idea. Sometimes I feel so ignorant.

#5 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm pretty sure it's after every feeding. My brother certainly washes and then sterilizes after every bottle use.

Annie wouldn't ever take a bottle so I don't really know from personal experience.

Are you planning on nursing your wee babes at all? I know several twin Mom's who have partially nursed quite successfully and a couple who exclusively nursed their twins. They rock!
#6 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM

Born Free bottles are nice and since they're BPA-free you don't have to worry about the nasty chemicals from the plastic.

Even though both of my DC were EBF, we did implement a bottle now and then so that in the event of an emergency that would separate me from my babe, they wouldn't have the additional stress of having to learn to take a bottle. I sterilized the bottles before the initial use but didn't bother doing it again after that. Some parents sterilize after every use while others don't sterilize at all. I think you've just got to do what feels right to you. But make sure you're well informed before you make your decision.
#7 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM

We have the Avent sterilizer that you put in the microwave that I really like for dd. Although dd was also EBF I had a time when I had to be in the hospital for an appendectomy so we used the sterilizer then. We tried to have her take a bottle from daddy with breastmilk forever but she only would take one when I was in the hospital. We sterilized the bottles after every use. We used glass at the time but I heard Born Free is great. I like the Evenflo glass bottles because they are inexpensive and they fit onto my Medela breastpump. I also used it to sterilize the different parts of my breastpump.
#8 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
Are you planning on nursing your wee babes at all? I know several twin Mom's who have partially nursed quite successfully and a couple who exclusively nursed their twins. They rock!
Oh, don't worry! My babies will be exclusively breastfed for at least 5 weeks, and then we will introduce the occasional bottle to prepare them for when mama goes back to work. Even then, my husband (who will be SAHD) plans to bring them in to my office as often as possible for lunchtime boobies We plan to avoid formula altogether. Of course, we will be flexible on all of this as necessary.

#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 PM

I would sterilize them in boiling water before first using them. After that...if you have a dishwasher, you'll probably be okay. I have been a working and pumping mom many a time, and we always ran the bottles, nipples, and the breast pump thingamabobbies (having preggo brain right now) through the dishwasher. My babies have always been quite healthy.
#10 of 12 Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM

wow, i've been thinking a lot lately about what would be the best way to sterilize my bottles once wyatt is born. i'll strictly be formula feeding and keep forgetting to do the research on this, so thanks for bringing it up.

seems that going old skool by boiling is the way to go....

i do know that i'm going with bpa free bottles, mostly born free (boy,expensive!),with a few drop in(liners) options for travel.

next i need to figure out what formula to feed my baby,but that's another thread....
#11 of 12 Old 01-19-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah, running them through the dishwasher sterilizes them very well--we had an Avent microwave sterilizer but it was so much easier to just let the dishwasher do it. Might want to get one of those little boxes to hold the nipples, though--they can get knocked down onto the hot element and melt (happened the first time I dishwashered my breast pump

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#12 of 12 Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Our dishwasher = my husband, so I think we'll need to use a different method of sterilization

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page