transverse breech - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting a little nervous, Mamas. I'm 34 weeks tomorrow, and my little guy has been transverse for at least 6 weeks. It feels like he's in a ball on my right side.
For the past week, I've been trying to stretch/crawl on my hands and knees, be aware of my posture and not slouch, and last night I tried the inversion for about a minute and a half (talk about a head rush!).
I have my first pregnancy chiro appointment Monday with a woman who does the Webster technique and my doctor wants to plan a version at 37 weeks if the baby doesn't turn by then. Yikes.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Is anyone else trying to flip a breech baby? I believe DBZ is (or hopefully was and baby flipped).
I'm also being retested in 2 weeks for GBS, since I was positive when they did a pap in the first trimester. Ugh. I didn't have either of these issues the first time!

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Hi - i'm not sure WHAT my baby's doing - she shifts so much - i'm hoping for a confirmation of a flip on Fri.

I went to a chiro for Webster, and felt the biggest change since, and have my fingers crossed that it stuck..

here's a list of other "baby flipping" stuff from my mw and doula - not all of which i've tried :
1. handstands in pool (um, not within MY talent portfolio)
2. bridge position, 2x a day for 10 min, supported w/ firm cushions
3. homeopathic remedy: Pulsatilla, 30c, 2x a day for 3 days til baby flips
4. Moxo rx - through accupuncturist - (chinese medicine sticks applied to points on little toes)
5. visualization, meditation

Best of luck! I know how stressful a breech at this point can be!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
DBZ

Yeah my baby is still breech too. Another thing you can do is soak in the tub or go swimming (that one is hard this time of year). One of my older kids laid transverse for two weeks. I believe it was from week 34 to week 36. She moved from head up to trans when I was in the tub and I believe I was in the tub when she finished her trip downward. It was really uncomfortable and I totally knew what was going on. There was no missing it.

I'm doing that inversion thing too. I think you mean the kneel on the couch and put your elbows on the floor right? That's what I've started doing. I don't have the arm strength to do it for more then 30 secs or so Well maybe I do, but it makes me nervous.

I'm calling a chiro as soon as my medicaid is back in place. I'm also going to call an accurpuncturist and inquire about all that. It sounds expensive.

I also want to get some of that henna stuff and draw a pic of my head down baby on my belly to help me manifest him or her being head down.

I'm also crawling around the house when the big kids aren't home. I don't want them to make fun of me LOL. I'm also realizing that my carpet in the hallway stinks. I need to find a natural cleaner for that LOL.

And per my mw, I am playing music to the baby. What you do is stick the headphones down your pants for a good ten minutes when the baby is active many times a day. It is weird having music coming from down there though.

I'm a bit stressed over this. I grow big babies and this will be my 3rd vbac. Having that c/s count against me really blows.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Not in your ddc, but I saw your post and had to comment. My first was transverse from 20-36 weeks. The way I got her to turn was in the pool. I can't remember where I heard about it, but here's what I did. I swam laps while flipped front to back to front to back, etc. I don't know if that makes sense. Basically one stroke I was on my front, next stroke on my back. I did it every day for about a week. Good luck!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
I'm also crawling around the house when the big kids aren't home. I don't want them to make fun of me LOL. I'm also realizing that my carpet in the hallway stinks. I need to find a natural cleaner for that LOL.
Sorry, DBZ, but I had to LOL at these mental images! I hope it works.

I'm checking on Friday on position, which was transverse breech last mw visit (only 31 weeks then). I've been doing pelvic rocks / cat cow stretches, totally changed by posture, and have an appt with Webster chiro.

Zaner'smama - what is a "version" that the doc wants to do?

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the encouragement and suggestions. I sure hope we can all get these babes to flip!
I forgot to add that I also tried an ice pack where I think the head is and a heating pad on low where I want the head to be. There was tons of movement at that point, but I don't think he flipped. It made me a little nervous, so I don't know if I'll try that again.

Kothi -- Does bridge position mean hands and knees? Where do you put support pillows?

DBZ -- I can totally relate to your carpet woes. Mine is horrific because I haven't had the drive to clean it since I've been pregnant and my 2 year old and husband seem to be in a contest to dump the most crud on it. I wish I could rip it all out, but there is only cement under it.
Yes, I was referring to putting knees on the couch and leaning down to the ground. It is really hard for me too and a bit of a cruel joke trying to do it with this big belly. But hopefully it helps! Let me know if you try accupuncture. I haven't really checked into it because I'm chicken about the needles. My girlfriend is doing it for fertility issues and really feels it's helping.

ColoradoMama -- I would like to try the pool to do handstands and such, but I don't know if I'm talented enough to swim like that! If I get to a pool, I'll try though!

ELKMama -- My doctor wants to do an ultrasound and try to manually coax him into position while watching him. I think it's called an external version, but from what I've been reading it doesn't sound like it's always effective and it could lead to an emergency cesarean. So I'm hoping to find something else to work first.

Good luck to all of you mamas!!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner'smama View Post
Kothi -- Does bridge position mean hands and knees? Where do you put support pillows?
Zaner's mamma- the bridge pose involves laying on yr back, rear in the air- here's a pic of the yoga bridge pose unsupported

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/472

being this pregnant, however, you would put the pillows under your butt and lower back for support - i think 9-12 in was what was recommended height-wise - you may need a small beanbag, very firm pillows, or several flat folded blankets to keep that height w/o toppling- i finally came up w/ a mediation cushion (it's filled w/ buckwheat hulls) plus folded wool blankets combo- the pillows would always slip on me - but I am rather a clod , even when not pregnant.

And both a chiro and PT have told me so much is about posture, posture, posture - which is very difficult to remember/do at this stage of um, fullness , and fatigue. I am short and have very little room btw rib cage and hips; when LO was definately transverse, they recommended (and this can/should continue even if baby flips) keeping abs firm and shoulders back as much as possible to maximize this space, as one reason babies lie transverse is the room they have to lie vertically is limited. Another pose to encourage this space is Supta Virasana, but VERY modified and supported for third trimester; here's pic of a supported version of this:
http://www.womenfitness.net/top10_yoga_asthma.htm

I have a better picture, with more support, but not on the net - it's in a book I have titled: Step-by-Step Yoga for Pregnancy b Wendy Teasdill. I think you would get the effect if you kneeled on a couch, leaned back on some pillows, and put your arms over your head off the edge of the top of the couch- basically maximizing chest expansion, length of torso, in a relaxed manner.

Btw, I haven't done it (my health insurance is good, but not good enough to cover accupuncture- will try as last resort pre-external version) but don't think the moxo technique involves needles - there's a thread from a few days ago frm someone who's tried it in our DDC...

Best of luck, and keep us updated on how it goes! Turn, babies, turn!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Oh, I am so glad to find this thread! Our girl is also breech/transverse, and has been so for about 6 weeks that I am aware of (at 25 weeks she was vertex). I have had one natural vertex delivery, so the odds of any future baby remaining in an unfavorable position for a vaginal delivery is on the order of about 2 percent.

I have been doing the yoga bridge position supported with pillows and playing music at the pubic bone area with headsets . . . no luck. I ahve an appt with an acupuncturist who also does moxibustion (studies say this works 60 % of the time) for Feb 11th, but thwe will be nearly 36 weeks then. Ack! My MW says she won't schedule a section until 38 weeks, to give us more time (I just love her!), and we agree that a version isn;t a good choice for me (anterior placenta, on heparin) - besides, it scares me anyway.

Perhaps I will check into swimming and see if that is an option for us. Tough to do int he winter in Maine!

May our babies flip soon!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM

In case you're not familiar with this website, it is full of tips and info:

www.spinningbabies.com
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

I just wanted to say DD was transverse til 35 weeks-and then flipped on her own(just to give you some hope!) I tried all the stretches and odd positions I found on websites (and that have been suggested here). Good luck!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM
DBZ

Well last night the baby got into a transverse position. She was totally straight across my belly! Of course this was when I was going to bed. I don't know how the little crittur is at the moment but I think she went back to head up.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm a chiropractor, and I have to jump in from the Feb DDC.

For those of you trying chiro for turning, just remember that it can take more than one adjustment for anything to happen. The purpose of Webster's technique is to balance your pelvis and the ligaments which attach between the pelvis and uterus so that there is as much room for baby to turn as possible.

Webster's technique is very effective in my experience, just don't expect that things will happen with one visit. I will sometimes see folks daily in my office until we get a change! And many chiropractors that see pregnant women are understanding of the financial stresses of the time and will work with you to make the frequent visits possible.

HTH! Many blessings to all of you with your babies!

-Mindi
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think this little guy is still breech. I think it's time to start trying to enourage him to turn now. I think I'll find a chiro tody and start getting that done. Maybe try some inversions a couple times a day. I know there's still time but all my other 4 were head down by 32 wks. So I'm getting alittle antsy.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM

I'm 32 weeks today and this wee one hasn't been head down for more than 5 minutes straight through this whole pregnancy. It's so funny about the whole posture thing as the only time it seems that the baby is vertex is when I'm slouching on the couch after eating too much. I keep telling my DH that the baby has to turn vertex after meals and jam it's feet up into my tummy to keep the roof from collapsing in on him/her! Then again maybe the baby is just a real snuggler
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM

We aren't sure what position baby in in, but I am pretty sure she's breach. The having to ice my crotch is probably confusing her.:: I am going to try some of the techniques on spinning babies, but TBH I am not worries. DS was head up until 35 weeks and it's my 5th so baby still has a fair amount of room to move. We will be schedualing an ultrasound to confirm position at 37 weeks if baby hasn't moved. And possibly a version.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Not in your DDC but wanted to add...my oldest was presenting transverse (shoulders/neck) AT BIRTH and my MW did a version...external didn't work as he was engaged but she did an internal and everything was fine. (He was also OP like mine tend to be...but that's a whole OTHER story haha)

Not the worst thing in the world...if the babies don't turn by the time you go into labor, there is something you can do!! Don't stress!

Good luck everyone!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Lurking mama from April 08. My 4th baby was transverse with his back to my cervix and her turned literarily during early labor. So theres hope.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Hi there - Seems like baby is still lounging across my belly, with head up near my left breast. OK! The mw was not worried and said there wasn't a lot to do at this point and we'll just check at 35.5 weeks (2 weeks from now) and discuss options then. I appreciate her calm even though I am going to "do" some things like keep going on pelvic rocks, read more about inversions, and start the Webster chiro appointments ASAP.

It is great to hear about babies moving around during labor too!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 AM

WOOHOO! Had my mw appt today and baby is, right now, head down. Hope she stays there - I'm going to start doing all those "engaging" things - wide deep squats, walking, rolling on the ball to try to keep her there - she just has too much room to move still, given my looseygoosey ligaments and hips; but I think being low enough, she should stay. I do recommend the Webster technique - it took til the 3rd daily session for the shift to occur in my alignment, and I'm fairly sure that's what did it.

Good luck all of you, and there's plenty of hope - I really love the labor turn stories, Goddess3 and attachedmommaof3!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 AM
DBZ

Yeah Kothi!!

I just emailed a chiro to inquire about webster technique and cost.

I'm wondering how the mw office will handle me if this baby is still breech after I hit week 37. I'm already in trouble for being the difficult patient. They ain't seen nothing yet!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 AM

I'm 34 weeks now, and Bean has been transverse for several weeks. My abdomen is much larger than with DC#1 because of how the baby is lying, even though I currently weigh 50 lbs LESS than I did with that pregnancy. So most of my maternity clothes no longer fit : and I'm nearly as big around as I am tall, LOL!

We're planning an HBAC, so the baby HAS to turn vertex.

I've been seeing a chiropractor for 2 weeks using Webster technique and electrical acupuncture, and will begin needle acupuncture and moxibustion next week. There has been a definite increase in my flexibility, decreased back pain, and increased fetal movement from just four treatments.

I've also been doing daily inversions and yoga bridge position which I read about on spinningbabies.com, but I find both positions really uncomfortable. Pelvic rocking on all fours is much easier...so I do that one more often.

I also tried ice on my abdomen near baby's head, but it didn't seem to bother Bean or even increase movement much, so I've abandoned that strategy for now. And no more slouching on the couch, I'm trying hard to sit up straight and maintain good posture, even though I feel totally swaybacked and would prefer to recline through the last few weeks.

I wouldn't be enthusiastic about trying an external cephalic version (where the OB turns the baby) as these are very uncomfortable, and frequently unsuccessful - if the umbilical cord or placenta are damaged in the process, you end up with an immediate c/s.

Think positive...my mw assures me that as the fetal head gets larger, gravity will take over and help pull the baby into a vertex position as long as there is room in the pelvis!

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothi View Post
WOOHOO! Had my mw appt today and baby is, right now, head down.
Yay - That is great news!!
I start with the chiro Monday.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:42 PM
DBZ

Cindy, there are midwives who do the version too. From what I understand they are more gentle

Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Our MW does versions, but honestly, I am not interested in one. Even if I could, it's just more risky than c/s in my opinion. THe thought of an emergency c/s for a cord issue or abrupted placenta from a version . . . no way. Too risky.

I am going to try inversion tonight, and will keep doing pelvic rocking for now.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM

At my most recent chiro visit, right after he adjusted me I felt an enormous heave, like baby had kicked me in the stomach. It was forceful enough that I vomited, and later I noticed that the shape of my belly had changed. Midwife confirmed two days later that Bean is now vertex.

Keep spinning those babies, may they all be vertex by March!

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Good news Doctormom and Koti!
For other moms, like Gretasmommy whose lo's still have not turned I just wanted to say I had a version, when I was already 39 weeks along. We had tried everything, and I mean everything. The chiro, the acupuncture, the maxibustion, the posture, the walks. You name it, we did it. At the end, the OB suggested the version. He had very carefully reviewed the scans, measured the baby, my own belly... we did the version at the hospital. The O/B injected me drugs to relax the uterus, then very gently turned baby round by pressing on the abdomen. Just want to reassure anyone that is was not at all painful. We were following this on the scan second by second, and the c/s was ready otherwise in the next room. It went very well and baby was turned vertex in 10 minutes. I know you can birth a baby who is not vertex, but our OB would not do that and even MW discouraged me because the baby was in a really weird position. I think if everything else fails, I would not discard this option, but clearly all precautions must be taken.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormom View Post
At my most recent chiro visit, right after he adjusted me I felt an enormous heave, like baby had kicked me in the stomach. It was forceful enough that I vomited, and later I noticed that the shape of my belly had changed. Midwife confirmed two days later that Bean is now vertex.

Keep spinning those babies, may they all be vertex by March!
Excellent news!!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM
DBZ

Hey doctormom, how many chiro visits did you need? The chiro I contacted is $50 a visit . Ain't no way I can afford that.

And congrats on your lo turning!! I'm glad you are another mama off the breech list.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How do you find a Webster cert chiro in your area? I'm not having much luck.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Hey doctormom, how many chiro visits did you need? The chiro I contacted is $50 a visit . Ain't no way I can afford that.

And congrats on your lo turning!! I'm glad you are another mama off the breech list.
Are there any other chiros in your area you can look into? My girlfriend goes to her chiro regularly said that they give a discount if you don't have insurance. I think she said $35/visit. I hope you can find someone!

User Tag List