Prodromal labour (long and rambling) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That was fun. NOT!Oh man what a long night. I had tightnings from 8-11pm that were regular and about very 3 minutes, but not painful so I figured just getting a practice workout, went and had a shower to calm things down and it seemed to work. I was refreshed by the shower so I stayed up a bit later then normal and watched some TV. At about 1am i decided to head to bed and try to rest. Well not 10 minutes in bed and the contractions started up again although somewhere along the lines of 10-15 minutes apart. I wasn't concerned, just popped in my special place script and hoped it would help me fall asleep even though the contractions were a bit stronger then normal. After an hour of getting up 3 times to do various potty things and noticing the contractions coming closer I thought I'd give my DH and DS a break and take the what I honestly thought was early labour to the living room. I sat on my ball and timed my contractions which were now a little over 4 minues apart and a min + long and quite uncomfy although I wasn't yet having to focus all my energy on them. I wasn't enjoying the ball and I was starting to get really sleepy so at 3am I headed back to bed hoping to sleep in between. Well wouldn't you know it the contractions tapered right off. I wonke up with a couple of more contractions, but they had definately spaced. I even had a dream that my water broke.

So here I am happy that baby is good to cook a bit longer, but seriously annoyed at the contractions:and so very tired after only getting about 4 and a half hours of sleep. Poor DH is beat too, b/c my getting up and down kept waking him up. Baby does seem to be sitting lower today and giving me some lovely sciatic nerve pain. I am going to try and get into the chiro and she if she can help at all. I wanted to add that I am definately not dehydrated LOL I can't seem to get enough fluids and have easily been drinking a gallon a day. Which is odd for me but hey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Hope you get to have some rest today without the contractions!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 PM

I was in the same boat Saturday night/Sunday morning. It started for me at midnight and went until 8am. Then it continued on and off throughout yesterday. Last night I was able to get some sleep finally. I was still getting contractions and they were very uncomfortable - to the point that I woke up moaning through them. Fortunately they were only about every hour and a half to two hours. My tummy is so tender now from the workout and my pelvic bone feels very bruised.

I never had this with the other two and I really don't think I like it much. On the bright side, though, it has motivated me (finally) to finish the tasks I have on my to-do list just in case baby comes. No more lazy-bones here.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I may actually be in labour. LOL I have had 3 good contractions in the last 15 minutes. Waiting for some other indication though like bloody show or something. but they are getting ouchies.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Oooh, Ooh Ooh, Julia! Update update!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Oh wow, I can't believe we are having babies already! I feel like it's so far away for me b/c I'm not really due until mid-late March.

Keep us updated!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well not sure what the heck is going on, but having never gone on my own maybe this is normal. I laid down at 11:30 ish and basically had mild to no contactions I did a self check and baby although low was floating. I fell asleep only to be woken 10 minutes ago with 2 good contractions. MY belly kinda feels like perma contraction at the moment. I am going to eat some lunch and see what happens. I am trying to avoid going in to the labour ward unless I am sure so I will be lurking around unless something suddenly changes like my water breaking. Since baby isn't engaged i am thinking this isn't it though. Oh my pelvis is in so much pain when i stand from her being so low.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Keep us posted Julia and hope you get some rest!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM

I'm a prodromal graduate three times over. Stinks, doesn't it?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Prodromal stinks! I thought my last baby was coming on the 15th of June. That went on until she was actually born on the 3rd of July, one day past her edd. I didn't think it was ever going to actually happen after 3 full weeks of start and stop contractions.

Try to get some rest. I hope the baby decides soon what she's doing.

Take care!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 PM

I totally feel for you! I had prodromal labor with my last one for 3 weeks! This time it is starting up again at 35 weeks. What I do that really helps is drink tons of water and RRL tea. The next step is to rest. If that doesn't work I crack open a beer or have half a glass of wine. That usually calms things down. The last step is to take a bath. Hope some of that helps. I just learned to ignore contractions unless they hurt or got closer together.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll join in the "it sucks, doesn't it" chorus. BTDT with my youngest two, and for a good 10 weeks now with this one. GAH! It's also getting worse for me, where I have those nights with regular contractions all freaking night long.

The thing that really scares me, is that with my youngest dd, I was so used to contracting regularly, that when I went into labor, I didn't realize it. I distinctly remember telling my dh at 11 pm (when he called from work) that I felt further away from going into labor than I had at any point in the last 3 weeks. Well, by 1:00 am I was just starting to wonder if I was going into labor. At 1:30 I realized I was in serious labor. At 2:00, we left for the hospital, and at 2:52, I had a baby!

So, what with this being #6 and all, and me being used to having labor-like contractions on and off all day, every day....eek.

So to everyone whose uterus likes to practice a lot. The worst part is that it tends to keep you up at night and you become mad from lack of sleep. Um...the good part is, you may have your baby fast.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM

I had a lot of prodromal labor with my last baby. I even called the midwife in the middle of the night a couple of times... I think it went on for about 2 or 3 weeks before she actually came. Annoying, yeah. It's already starting with this pregnancy, I'll be 34 weeks Wednesday. Nothing regular or strong, but definitely lots of noticeable practice contractions. Oh joy...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM

I had 3 weeks of prodromal labor with ds, yeah it's really awful.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
DBZ

Dang that sounds like torture. I hope that doesn't happen again tonight.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 AM

Hugs to all you mommas who are having to deal with this!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well I have been contracting for 2-3 hours at a time 3-4 minutes apart, with small breaks in between ranging from an hour to a long break after the kids came home. It's not 9:50 and they have started up with a vengance again. I may actually start timing. Oh I hope this is the real deal.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugglemama View Post
Oh I hope this is the real deal.
I'll hope that for you, ,too then. But if not, I hope things slow down! Because contracting all the time without being in labor is nooooo fun.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 AM

That sounds like no fun. Your uterus better let you get some sleep! I guess all ctx go towards ripening your cervix if that's any consolation.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I think my body is just being goofy. The contractions strarted and stopped 2 times last night. In fact i almost callled in the troops last night at 3am, only to have them stall right out. I am going to the chiro today to help with the headaches and try and just relax the next few weeks while baby cooks. I am so exhausted.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm ss you are having such a rough time. I hope you can get some rest.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM

I wish I could say " I have NO IDEA what youre talking about" but alas I do. With dd I had 3 weeks of the starts & stops. My life was a marathon of uncomfortablility. With this pg I started with the contractions 2 weeks ago. They have not been as painful but still annoying as ever. I am more comfortable since I know that I'm not planning on heading out to the hospital this go round but I'm always feeling like this could go on FOREVER! I had serious sleep induced thoughts of castor oil.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. This is no big surprise to me TBH which is why we haven't actually ever headed in. I did 5 weeks with my last pregnancy and my contractions even had teh OB sure we were going to have a 35 weeker. I was contracting every 3 minutes and while I was being monitored went from 0-2 cm. So I am hoping that if nothing else these are productive contractions and something is happening. My last labour was less then 3 hours from first good contraction to baby and I would be happy with that again. LOL.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM

Hope you can get some rest today, mama.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 AM

Hi Julia,

Thanks so much for this thread and all of your updates! It helped me realize that I'm in prodromal labor, too. My cx are not painful, but are increasing in frequency and strength. The last 24 hours were up and down, trying hard to find a position where they went away (and they did) but then came back again.

Talked to the doc and he agreed it was pre-labor. I can't believe some mamas went through this for weeks! I just hope if feels like a good massage for the babies...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Today was a good day. I had very few contractions and was able to nap and rest. I saw my chiro and she got my neck and low back all fixed up and I am feeling ok. I eneded up going grocery shopping after my appointment so I am contracting a bit this evening, but I know that they will ease off in a few hours.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 AM

good to hear! Prodromal totally sucks. It gets your hopes up, especially at this point, and then you get exhausted and feel like you got hit by a truck. I hope you get some relief tonight.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugglemama View Post
Thank you everyone. This is no big surprise to me TBH which is why we haven't actually ever headed in. I did 5 weeks with my last pregnancy and my contractions even had teh OB sure we were going to have a 35 weeker. I was contracting every 3 minutes and while I was being monitored went from 0-2 cm. So I am hoping that if nothing else these are productive contractions and something is happening. My last labour was less then 3 hours from first good contraction to baby and I would be happy with that again. LOL.
I was going to mention that I too had a very short labor once actual labor kicked in. There might be a silver lining to the weeks on end of contracting. Hang in there!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM

:

I've had 3 full term births -- had 1+ hours of hard contractions every 2-4 minutes apart nearly every day for the last 2-3 months, and leading up to 2-3 hours of labor every day for the last month. Always thought "Is THIS is???" And then, with each of those pregnancies, when something finally changes (my water broke), BBBBBAAAAAAMMMM !!! I had the baby.

#1 -- Prodromal for weeks, then
dead asleep, ROM, 45 minutes later a baby in my hands

#2 -- Prodromal for weeks, then
ROM, 2 hours of almost nothing
then 15 minutes of labor and a baby in my hands!

#3 -- Prodromal for weeks, then
ROM
3 hours of horrid contractions with baby posterior
(? because of bedrest the last 3 months of pregnancy)
and cervix not dilating at all
pulled my own cervix forward and held it through 3 contractions
20 minutes later, a baby in my hands

I hope your prodromal labor rewards you with equally efficient births.

March 2008
#4 -- Prodromal for weeks, then
ROM, 1 hour later a baby in my hands
And this one was a 10 pound baby!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Mumse, I sure hope you plan to UC! Those are some seriously precipitous labors!

nugglemama, I hope you can at least get some sleep!

I've been having prodromal labor starting last night. Babe is still posterior, tho, so my back and bottom are really uncomfy. It makes me nervous b/c ds was early (35 1/2) weeks and I've already had ptl issues this time around. Anyway, I'm actually hoping for another week of this at least... then things can be done! In one sense, it's been good b/c I've realized that I don't mind ds being around, but I don't want anyone touching me while I'm contracting, even these little "practice" contractions! So maybe I'll just lock myself in a room and labor alone when the time comes

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).

User Tag List