Weekly thread? 2/11- 2/17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I like the idea of a daily thread but I'm not on every day yet. Can we try a weekly thread? Then (selfishly!) I can play too!

I had my midwife appt yesterday and baby is posterier right now so my current goal is to stay forward leaning as much as possible!

That said, I'm really looking forward to a massage this afternoon and we've hit hyperdrive on trying to get our house ready/ reorganized for another person! There is SO MUCH STUFF!!!!! I had forgotten how much space baby's stuff can potentially take up! We don't even have a lot of big stuff and it's crazy!

In good news though, I have finally got the right number of days worked so that I can decline supply (substitute) teaching work now without jeopardizing my space on the 'list' for next year which is a HUGE relief. It's a pain to have to get signed up for the list again so it's one more thing ticked off the list.

How's everyone else? Anyone doing anything special for Valentine's? Anyone have things left that they're desperate to get done?
#2 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth View Post
Anyone doing anything special for Valentine's? Anyone have things left that they're desperate to get done?
I don't think so, but at least my DH has the day off. He works nights, so any night he's home is a happy day for me.

Things I am desperate to get done - uh, how much time do you have? LOL. High up on the list is getting a co-sleeper. We used to have a bassinet but we gave it away, and I have always wanted a co-sleeper! We also need to move some furniture around to make room for baby in our room. Ha ha. That was a good use of the royal "we".

That's good news about your subbing schedule!
#3 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Ugh, so much to do, so little time. I'll be 37 weeks on Thursday and that just seems like such a minuscule amount of time to get everything done. My kitchen is torn apart anticipating a coat of paint that won't be available until Friday. This means the dining room is full of all the kitchen items and we're having to eat in the living room, making meal times a cleaning adventure I'd like not to repeat any time soon. I was going to make some shelves and mount some hooks in the laundry room but it's freakin' snowing and I don't want to run the circular saw in the house - although I might anyway. After a practice run with prodromal labor over the weekend, I've realized a sense of urgency now and have been desperately trying to get everything ready. I packed the just-in-case bag yesterday and broke down in tears over the tiny size of the newborn 'sposies we're planning to use in the beginning. I'm hoping tomorrow we can to a test run of the birth pool to check for leaks. Is anyone else feeling rushed or am I the only one?
#4 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
mtm

I'm due late March too so it feels far away still. Most of the big stuff is done, carseat installed, couple of outfits in baby bag. Still need to pack my bag and gather up some hand-me-downs.
#5 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
I'm due late March too so it feels far away still. Most of the big stuff is done, carseat installed, couple of outfits in baby bag. Still need to pack my bag and gather up some hand-me-downs.
Same here. Actually, we're moving this weekend, and then we (we=DH ) are painting at least a few rooms in the new house (since I'm totally not a white-wall person, and it would crush my soul a little to have a baby in an ugly house, and then be unable to get it done with a 16 m/o and a newborn)...and THEN, I have about a zillion more cloth diapers I want to make. Washing baby clothes and setting up the bassinet seems very far-off still. Here's to hoping for 42 weeks.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#6 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM

I am here, I have a ton of sewing projects that I may attempt to finish. I am happy to just relax and take it easy though. I have a chiro appointment today to see if it helps with my headaches and I need to do some shopping. but really I am in hibernate, nest at home mode.
#7 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM

I am also due late in March but at the rate I am going, nothing will be done when that time rolls around. I have a whole stock of diapers to make, car seat to purchase and some other little things. Not to mention my birthing pool and supplies! That is kind of important. I keep waiting and have been waiting for this extreme fatigue to pass but now I am just starting to think that I am lazy. Tons of things to do, have all of the stuff to do them, adequate time to get it done, no energy to do it. I am also starting to swell pretty bad. My ankles have been gone for a long time now and for a week now, my shins are missing as well. My poor fingers look like sausage links. I could barely open DS juice this morning. Now to make things worse my face and neck are starting to swell! Oh, I love this!

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#8 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM

This is a big week for me, because I'll be 37 weeks at the end of it! :

I don't think we're doing anything for V-day. I know he got me something - went out tonight and got it, in fact, and is planning to give it to me once he gets home. I got pregnancy portraits done for his V-day gift (since he thinks I'm all sexy like this, go figure).

I feel like I have so many little things to do before he gets here, but at the same time I think he could arrive anytime and we'd be fine. I'm ready.
#9 of 51 Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM

No V-day plans here as DH has to go out of town. He asked if me and the kids wanted to come too but yeah 5 hours in the car does not really sound like fun right now.

Anyone else have a self chosen date that they do not want to go into labor before? I do not want to go into labor before Feb 24th. My best friend is driving down here on the 23rd to do my belly cast and then we are getting pedicures on the 24th. I should have everything we need by then too.

Last night I think I lost the big mucous plug. I wiped and felt something so I looked at the tp and said "whoa" it was HUGE and bloody and oh sooo very gross. But of course I had to poke at it with the toilet paper and stuff. I have been losing tiny chunks for what seems like months and I know it regenerates so I will probably continue to lose more over the next month.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#10 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 AM

Did I kill it? Seriously I do it all the time. Sigh.

#11 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 AM

I had a weight check ultrasound (a BS u/s as I call it - it's wrong soooo often) today. We saw the baby breathing - it was so cool! I have a doc appt. tomorrow, a chiro appt. Thursday and I think that's it.

Only 9 days to go til baby is here - ACK!

Jenn
#12 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 01:37 PM

I am STILL working on clearing out the catch all room. What a huge undertaking. I have to get it done this weekend though because the electrician is coming monday and will need access to this room. I have made a dent in it, but it is one of those projects where the more you do, the more you have to do. YKWIM? I am hoping that all the other things I have to do will be easy after this.

I am due late march but am starting to feel the crunch!

and thank goodness ds is feeling much better and does not need to be ON me all day anymore! These days he can keep himself happy cutting paper for a while.
#13 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM

I am still on bed rest . I will be 34 weeks on Monday so it could be a long long long time till I meet the little man. We finally decided on a name he will be Cale Grayson. I got the car seat and snugglenest in yesterday. Today the blankets and burb rags should get here. Dh washed all the clothes and we are looking for something to hold them in. I am getting a bag packed tommorrow....so I feel like I am getting ready.
Dh and I are not doing anything for our Valentines, cause Sunday is our 12th anniversary. So we will be having a steak dinner for that which he will cook at least he is good at it. Then on Monday I have my next appt. Hoping to hear that I have had some changes since i have been contracting like crazy and hurting a lot. That's about it.
#14 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 PM

I had my 36 week appointment today, and we officially have engagement! I knew it even before heading out this morning, since I felt like he was dangling down into my vagina and might slide out any minute, but it was still good to hear it from my midwife.

I really wish there were some sign or some way to tell when he might come. I really need it to be soon, I feel like crap.
#15 of 51 Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM

victoria. Lovely feeling isn't it? I think our little one engaged last night. I had lots of contractions and pressure.

Cute name Robin! It'll be soon mama.

We just finished making espresso truffles (annual thing I do) for Vday, and tomorrow dd and I will make a truffle torte. Feeling the chocolate love here! This weekend is dh's bday so we've got more to do after tomorrow! Ugh. No fancy cake for him this year. I usually make some elaborate masterpiece, like the Fallen Angel cake last year (made with Jack Daniels and sugar halos) but this year dd will be decorating it.

So we're just taking it day by day. Hoping Ayla will stay in for at least another week and a half!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#16 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
I had my 36 week appointment today, and we officially have engagement! I knew it even before heading out this morning, since I felt like he was dangling down into my vagina and might slide out any minute, but it was still good to hear it from my midwife.

I really wish there were some sign or some way to tell when he might come. I really need it to be soon, I feel like crap.
Maybe babe is waiting for your beads. I am mailing them in the morning. Dh won't "let" me go to the post office right now. He is worried since its dark and there will be no one there.

#17 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:54 AM

thanks for this thread - great snapshot catchup point.

Writing from Ronald McDonald house. However much I abhor McD's, this is a godsend- btw, don't let marketing fool you - they only contribute to 5% of the funds - still a BIG blessing. There would be no way to hang out in NICU, pumping, catching naps and eating AND drive the 50 min each way to home to/fr hospital. Mostly i sleep here a few hrs overnight and meet with my family to cuddle my new "big Brother" son at dinnertime, but holding out to crash to update a sec.

Savitri is almost off oxygen - YEAH! No current apparent signs of "viral syndrome" on my part so I'm no longer treated like a pariah on NICU (if i so much as feel a sniffle i RUN to the bathroom to get rid of the evidence - i can't bear any separation now that i'm holding her). Began breast "intro" for her yesterday, she's LATCHING AND SUCKING today! woohoo! We've come a long way. They were talking about a ventilator Saturday - now they're talking criteria for d/c today. Which are:

~Sat'ing over 90 for over 24 hours on no O2 (hope to move to no O2 tomorrow)
~Able to nipple feed w/o struggles breathing for 24 hrs. (she took a tube earlier today - after several feeds, she seems to tire out sleep through; hopefully with mammamilk she'll be strong enough for this soon)
~no high bilirubin levels where lights would be required (borderline, but ok so far)
~weight gain (she's up to 5-12.8!!!!!)

So i'm really, really hoping to get her back home, in my bed, against my chest 24/7 by Sun, but i'm told that's "optimistic, but possible"

So tired. I feed, hold, pump, eat, feed, hold pump, eat, try to find somewhere to nap ( my only significant complaint ab this NICU is that there is no place for mammas to catch a quick snooze in the feed cycle).

Let me take a few secs to tell you about HER, vs her stats:

Savitri is absolutely amazing. Unlike my boy, who's coloring completely went Daddy's way, she looks like a little Indian baby, but with the features, I think, of her paternal grandma- face on the oval side, solid assertive chin. Her fingers are exquisite and long, her feet and hands big and a touch hobbitlike like mamma's. She has Daddy's folded over ears, which look like tiny brown cabbages. She has thicket of jet black hair, is ruddy and slightly browned, and has unusual almost violet eyes, which contain an expression of intense bewilderment at the moment - hunh? this place is bright - where am i? why can't i swim? Where is that yummy nipple i was cuddling with when i passed out?
She's quite pissed re: diaper changes (i was sleeping cozily in my warm urine/poop. Now your wiping my crotch with wet, cold, cloth. WTF?!!!??? waterboarding is cake compared to this) and expresses a healthy dose of rage against the injustice of it all. I try to redirect it twd energy for feeding, but so far, not much luck.
She much prefers the mamma to squeeze milk directly from her nipple into her mouth (oh, and um, would you peel me a grape?) but can deal with having to work for it if I would just stop nagging her to continue after 2 minutes (yawn... breaktime... HELLO, thought this was a union shop..) I am in heaven when I hold her soft little body against my chest and she nuzzles in and drifts off.

Must go before i pass out.

Good vibes to all expecting out there - and kisses, nonviral kisses, happy blessing kisses to the growing list of little babes.
#18 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 AM

oh kothi she sounds absolutely darling! And quite the little diva already. A lucky little girl to have such a dedicated mama! I'm sure she'll be keeping you up all night at home in no time at all.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#19 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Congratulations Kothi!!! I hope you are bringing her home soon. You will both be in my thoughts!!!!

#20 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Kothi - your sweet little girl sounds adorable! What a blessing!

Happy Valentine's Day!

How is everyone else doing today ladies?
#21 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Congratulations Kothi-she sounds wonderful-and you are amazing!!
#22 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 11:02 AM

I had a nice, boring 34 week appt this week. Got my cervix checked to get cleared to go to disneyworld for my birthday. Still long and tight. Somehow, that was a disappointment to me. I know I am still early, and I'm sure I won't deliver till 40+ a couple, but with all the bh and pretty 'real' feeling ctx (though not in any organized way, just a few here and there strong) I was hoping I was getting prepped and moving! I am anxious to meet him too Still nowhere for baby to sleep yet, except my chest or the swing! still need to buy a car seat, some diapers (I have 3 diapers-that ought to last an hour!) get registered at hospital, make/buy DD's big sister present, wash all clothes, clean out 'guest (ie, junk catchall) room for my dad visiting next week, and all the help after baby boy is here. Oh, and a million things to complete at work for maternity leave. And, tomorrow is my birthday-I'm going to Disney!!
#23 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 AM

Kothi,
I am so glad to that you were able to update. Congratulations on your beautiful and courageous little girl She sounds so sweet! I love the name Savitri. Sending blessings and wishes for you to get some confy sleep
#24 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Kothi - thanks so much for the update! It's wonderful to "meet" one of our DDC babes a little more thoroughly; she sounds divine

Happy early Birthday, avasmom! Have a great time at Disney.

Happy Valentine's Day to all the rest of you mamas! Anyone doing anything really special? DH and I are just planning on a relaxing evening at home, but we've been so busy lately that it feels like a luxury

Thinking of our FIVE (!) DDC babies... :

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#25 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 PM

So I went to the doc this morning, still about 80% effaced, 2cm dialated. The babys head is at a +2 station. Just reminded me to come in if I have any leaking water since I went so quickly last time. Didn't really say anything about how long, but can they really?

So does the head desending have a lot to do with timing?
#26 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Good job with staying so positive Kothi!
How is your son doing?
#27 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 02:43 PM

happy birthday tomorrow Leigh! Have a good one!

OMG I'm gorging on chocolate. I'm embarrassing myself!

#28 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Oh Kothie she sounds so sweet. Glad that all is going good with her.

_on the homefront things are going well here. I am officially off terb for the long run. I took myself off due to the risks associated with it. I am doing a little bit of work here and there. Nesting like crazy, but really trying to remember that baby needs to stay put. We know have everything we need for baby...except a sling which is on the way. Today is bag packing day.
#29 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
mtm

Kothi, my second little guy spent a week in the nicu with lung issues, pm me if you want to went about nicu's, stress etc. I'm so glad to hear she's doing well. I'm tired of all the danged snow. Pushing the stroller to get my older ds from school is doing a number on my back, I hate that people don't shovel. Luckily my chiro is helping a lot. I'm relieved to be at 34 weeks now, every milestone we pass without the pre-e showing up again is a good one.
#30 of 51 Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Kothi, I'll be praying that your beautiful little girl can come home soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page