remedies for sinusitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know of natural remedies for sinusitis? I've had a cold for quite awhile now and noticed it had just settled in my nose; no other symptoms persisted. The last few days, I've had increasing pain in my face, to the point that last night, I thought I had an infected tooth. My eye, nose and cheek are killing me too. I've been up all night, unable to sleep; just want to cry b/c the pain is so bad. Feel like I've been hit in the face with a baseball! I looked it up, and my symptoms totally fit a sinus infection.

So I've tried the head over a bowl of hot water and now with some Vicks added, which seems to clear out some. But is antibiotics the only way to clear something like this up? I'd really hate to have to take any meds at this point in the game as I've gone through the whole pg. without any. And it's icey and snowy here, so I don't care to make a trip to a walk-in clinic if I could avoid it.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM

I think there was a thread about this somewhere else too - people's sinuses are really taking a beating this winter!

I highly recommend a neti pot! I have had miserable sinus problems this pregnancy, and the neti pot has helped me to breathe again!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM

I second the neti pot!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm with Dianna. The neti pot is the way to go. I use mine virtually everyday and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day if they are really bad.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I've never heard of it before. Did some googling and found where I should be able to pick one up here in Canada. Will try to get one tonite. I can't even see straight b/c of the pressure on my eye or eat as my teeth are so sore. Never would have guessed such an infection would affect so much!
Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Karen,

You can do it without the pot, too:

Add 1 t. salt to 1 c. boiling water, let it cool to a comfortably warm temp.
Pour some of the water into your cupped hand over a sink. Put a nostril in the water and inhale. This will feel very weird the first time. But the water will feel soothing and will taste like tears. You might only be able to get a few drops in at first, that's ok. Do the other side. Keep repeating.

Let nostrils drain...you'll be surprised what comes out! If you stand up between 'inhales', the solution will soften the stuff deep in your sinuses. You can do this several times a day.

If you feel a burning sensation, use less salt. And be sure the water is a comfortable temperature.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:03 PM

It sounds like that is similar to just doing the saline solution that was what I was going to recommend. Hope you feel better soon
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM

LOVE my neti-pot!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Eating two tablespoons of wasabi on a couple of fork-fulls of noodle soup sure did the trick for me. I was TOTALLY congested for weeks and it was making me miserable.

Hurts like HELL for about ten seconds as you jump around like a monkey in a wasp storm, but damn, does it EVER work.

Keep a box of tissues near by.

Make a bowl of your favourite instant Oriental-style noodle-soup.

Take a fork full of noodles.

Add a generous portion of wasabi to the noodles.

Put it in your mouth.

Breath out of your nose as much as you can. Swallow as soon as the burn exits out of your nostrils.

BLOW your nose.

Seriously, I "burned" out my infection, and it has never come back! 100% safe and natural.

I got the idea for "Sinus Soup" from the book The Green Pharmacy.

(I'm entering this in the baby book under the heading "Things you made Mommy do!" )

Trin.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsMom View Post
Thanks! I've never heard of it before. Did some googling and found where I should be able to pick one up here in Canada. Will try to get one tonite. I can't even see straight b/c of the pressure on my eye or eat as my teeth are so sore. Never would have guessed such an infection would affect so much!
Thanks again!
Aww, that sounds awful

I'm in Toronto and I got mine at a local health food shop, you should be able to find them anywhere like Noah's or even WHole FOods? I got mine at an independent health food store for about $20. Be sure to get the plstic one, the ceramic ones shatter into a billion un-gluable pieces if you look at them sideways :
Old 02-13-2008, 04:23 PM

I never post, but lurk I have to say, I have major allergy and sinus issues and I love the Sinus Rinse by Neil Med. They sell it at most drug stores. I got mine at CVS. The neti pot is strictly gravity, but this actually has a little pressure because you gently squeeze the bottle. But, it is not just a spray like Simply Saline, it actually goes up into your sinuses like a Neti Pot. It totally rinses out your sinuses. And, I swear, I have had 3 colds so far this year, and it has significantly reduced my symptoms and recovery time. I have never tried anything like it, and I have tried everything.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Trinitty, I'm not sure I have the nerve to do that one! You're brave! Will print it out though and keep for reference as dh might just try that.

I called my local pharmacy and they do have both the Neti Pot and the Sinus Rinse. She was saying how recently the Neti Pot had been on Oprah and guess since then, they've sold 6 cases of them and how a co-worker says it really works too. Good to know Dianna not to get the ceramic one.

In the mean time though, I'm trying that method, Leslie and wow, it's working great! I can now see better. Thank you, thank you!!

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 PM

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I've never had that bad a sinus infection but I've heard that antibiotics actually don't do much good anyway up there. So glad you've found better solutions!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Use a bulb syringe. Put warm water in a cup, fill the syring, lean over the sink and tilt your head to the side. Insert the syringe just a little bit and squirt the water in your nose. Have tissues handy when you're done because you'll blow out A LOT of snot. Do the other side.

Get some low sodium (if you have water retention at this point) tomato juice and fresh garlic. Use a garlic press and do two cloves of garlic in a glass of tomato juice. Drink up! That'll help a lot, too.

Jenn
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Glad you're feeling better!

I couldn't think of anything else to do... and snorting the water wasn't helping me.

Yes, it is amazing just how much snot can fit up in your sinuses... if it gets that bad, just blow your nose in the shower after using the safe-happy-fluffy Oprah-approved-Neti-Pot or my Masochistic Method.

Mwahahahahaha.

Sorry, in a strange mood today.

Trin.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have a neti pot, but I also swear by the homemade saline solution poured into your hand and snorted up. Nasty, but hey...it works. Alternate with lots of standing over your kettle and breathing the steam or taking hot showers.
Last time I had a bad sinus thing going on (in the first tri), I was at my wit's end, it hurt so much. I googled acupressure points and sinus and found lots of great info on the web. There are a lot of facial pressure points, and some on your hands, that can help drain your sinuses. Just make sure that the ones on your hand aren't also contraction-stimulating ones.
You can also spend some time doing yoga positions like the downward dog and the child's pose (modified for your big tummy!). That can really help keep things draining, too.
I hope you feel better!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 AM
DBZ

OMG I googled this neti pot thing and watched a you tube video and OMG!! Doing that has got to be so wierd. I might break down and try it though, but if they are expensive I might just snort the saline water from my hand LOL. What a bizarre thought!

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM

I would drown myself with a neti pot. I'll stick with steamy showers and chicken soup, thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Get a neti pot. I had problems for years until I started using one. You fill it with saline and wash your nasal cavity at night, for awhile every day and then every other.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:53 PM

My sinuses were too bad for the neti pot -- I tried and tried and nothing would go in my blocked nose. I had to bring in the big guns -- the Sinus Irrigator -- same idea, with POWER (it's like a WaterPik, but for your sinuses). I know, the yogis would shudder. They haven't seen my "grew up in a 2 smoker household" sinuses! I would also add that if Chinese noodles and wasabi aren't your thing, spaghetti with CAYENNE works just as well, or, in desperation -- just cayenne in a glass of water. A minute of pain for days of relief -- worth it.

Also, after 3 years of using the Sinus Irrigator, I stumbled across some yogi instructions for DRYING the nose and sinuses afterward -- boy is that important. I had no idea!!!!

http://www.jalanetipot.com/how_drying.html

User Tag List