How can you tell if baby has turned? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Up until yesterday, I was certain the baby was still head-up. I felt big movements around my belly button, and little movements around my hips/crotch.

Today, I'm having little movements up top, and fewer movements down below. Did the baby flip? How can I tell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM

With both of my babies, I've thought I could tell when they finally went head down--but both times I had to give it a few days to be sure. The biggest indicator for me is feeling his little rump (which is harder and rounder than his head) at the top of my belly, and the little feet that give nice hard kicks to my ribs right after I eat....but like I said, it took me a few days to be really sure. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#3 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I felt my baby flip from breach to head down at about 30 wks. I could see bumps sliding past under my skin. : ) I didn't feel the baby flip back to breech at 33 wks, though, but I did feel the baby was sideways at 32, so I wasn't too surprised to find at my mw visit baby was breech again at 33 weeks.

Movement can be helpful, but I have trouble visualizing position from that. Also, the first time baby was breech I had kicks on my ribs, but it was because baby had feet up by the head!

There was a thread somewhere around here recently about feeling the difference between head and bottom... I think the consensus was that if you gently wiggle/push the head, only that moves, but if you gently wiggle/push the bottom, the whole baby moves. I still have trouble feeling the difference, but that is how my mw tells position, and then confirms it with heart tones.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#4 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Beats me. I'm officially no good at diagnosing baby parts. The midwife pokes and prods and says 'Hmm' and gives me tentative theories, but I sometimes wonder just how sure she is herself! Last appointment she said the baby was head down, and it seems to have been favouring my right side, both in terms of weight distribution and kicks (don't ask how *that* works). So I dunno!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The head is harder than the butt, and yes, if you push on the butt, the whole baby will move with it.

Some good information here:
http://spinningbabies.com/index.php?...d=26&Itemid=32

And on this website, there's a good PDF you can download on how to tell your baby's position.
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/bir...es/breech.html
Scroll down to the section "for more information" and click on "your baby's position".

No matter what position your baby is in, you are going to feel a lot of movement around your bellybutton, since baby is all curled up, you are going to get a lot of elbow/knee action in there.
#6 of 6 Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katrinka~ View Post
No matter what position your baby is in, you are going to feel a lot of movement around your bellybutton, since baby is all curled up, you are going to get a lot of elbow/knee action in there.
I was wondering about this. When I went in last Friday, they told me that the baby was posterior and I keep wondering if the baby has turned, but I really can't tell at all! The only way I can tell that her head is down is because when she has the hiccups I feel them really low.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page