Has someone asked this already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you wearing for your water birth or while laboring in water? I was naked during labor with dd1. We were in the hospital birthing room with the mw's and a nurse and I didn't care one bit. I'm planning a hb this time and, of course, have no idea what time of day my babe will be coming. I am a bit nervous about what the neighbors will see--we know our next-door neighbors well enough, they know we're planning a hb and they're a bit uncomfortable about the whole thing. This adds a slight level of awareness. I know I don't have to please them in any way or make them comfortable, but...well it's for my comfort too, I guess. Add to that, I'd love to have more photos of the birth this time. I've seen women in sports bras and swim tops. I'm not sure what to buy. I have a maternity tankini but it's quite flowy w/more fabric than I'd like. If I wear something, I'll want it to be more fitted.

What do you think and/or what are you planning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 02:19 AM

I've got a flowy tankini too, as well as a more fitted one. If I decide to wear something like that I'll have them ready. Most likely I'll be naked, and if i decide on anything at all it will be one of my stretched out nursing sleep bras from dd. Mostly for a bit of support. I could care less if anyone sees me, as we live a 1/4 mile from our nearest neighbor!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 AM

Nekkid. I have thick curtains.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm...if your neighbors are uncomfortable, then they shouldn't be looking!
Wear what you want. Or don't wear what you want.
I wore nothing in the tub when I was able to use it while in labor with my DS. Modesty was really not on my mind - getting into that nice, comforting, warm tub was the only thing I was thinking about.
If you did want to wear something more fitted, how about an old tank top?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 AM

I wasn't really planning on wearing anything... if I feel uncomfortable I can throw whatever on (sports bra, tankini top - non-mat. It still fits mostly, t-shirt or tank top) but I don't anticipate wanting anything on.

As for the neighbours.... close the curtains or throw a sheet over the window (or get your partner to do that!) they really shouldn't matter in the equation!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 AM

I've been thinking about this, and I'm thinking tank top. I have a million, lol. I think it'll also depend on how I'm feeling at the moment. I can't see myself going naked b/c my parents will be there with me.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM

I'll be having a hospital birth, but they do have a big pool to labor in. I stuck a sports bra and a tankini bathing suit top in my bag just in case I want to put something on. My 9 year old son wants to be in the room when the baby comes and he may feel uncomfortable seeing me totally naked in front of other people besides hubby so I may throw one of those on. We're a pretty care free house normally and he sees me naked a lot so he will probably be fine.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM

I've never been comfortable being naked in labor (I'm not comfortable being naked normally either maybe it's the saggy boobs ). With dd I wore a non maternity tee so it was tight and clingy with a bra under, that was actually really nice until after she was born and I was aware that I was cold and dripping wet.

This time I've bought a sarong for during labor (want to look cute for the photos ) and I'm currently planning on wearing a bikini top that has some support.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-16-2008, 04:38 PM

I'm planning to get a cheap bikini top to wear in the tub at the hospital. I somehow don't mind having my belly and lower regions bare but the idea of having everyone see my boobs for a good long time doesn't feel comfortable for me. And it will make photos more share-able if we choose to share them.

I expect to be totally bare at the end so I'm ready for skin-to-skin snuggling with the babe. I'll also have a tank top but I can imagine me struggling getting out of it and I thought the bikini would be easier on and off.

I agree that covering the windows might be worthwhile since feeling safe and private can be important for laboring...
Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM

I wasn't planning on wearing anything - didn't last time. I'll be in my bedroom, so I can always grab something if I change my mind. It's just not as comfortable in the water with stuff on, and I don't want to be fumbling with a shirt or whatnot when the babe comes out and wants to nurse.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM

Skin. It doesn't matter how I plan. this is my 5th birth, and I know once the contractions hit I will reflexively strip off my clothes and fling them across the room. (Homebirth rocks.)
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

I'm planning on being naked while in the tub and if I get out to deliver on the bed. I'm not sure yet what I'll labor in. Probably one of my DBF's t-shirts.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM

I'll be wearing a hospital gown. Oh, and a hairnet! Planned 3rd C here.

Unless baby comes on his own, beforehand. Then I'll wear whatever suits me at the time.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.

User Tag List