#1 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Birth Stats:
Ayden Jaxon
5lbs 12oz 18 1/2inches long
2-13-08 @ 5:30am

The week before:I had been on terb since 19 weeks and we finally decided that it was time to start me on a new med since I had been in for contractions every couple of days. The new med did wonders and if and when I did have one, I could barely tell. I actually went a couple of days without a single one.

The day labor started and the morning of the birth: Dp left for work around 7:30 in the morning. I got up ate half an apple cereal bar, drank a little juice, and went back to bed. I was feeling a crampy and achy, but didnt think much of it. I tried sleeping, but was too achy and crampy to even get comfortable, so I took a shower. The shower relaxed me a little and I was able to lay down for about an hour or so before it got bad again. I sent DP a text message telling him, something wasnt right and that I needed him to call me. I also called a few friends and neighbors trying to find someone to watch the kids so I could in and DP could stay at work, since we needed the money. I sent DP another message telling him I needed to go in and that I couldnt find anyone to watch the kids. Pain was getting worse, and he still hadnt texted me back, so I sent him a message that said "You need to call home ASAP"

I instructed my oldest DS that if my cell phone rang and there was a heart on the screen, to answer it and tell daddy that mommy was hurting. By this time I was feeling alot of pinching in my cervix and moaning, so I got back in the shower. DP called about 10 minutes into it, and all I recall is him saying "mommy is crying in the shower...her tummy hurts real real bad" DS came to me and told me DP was on his way home, and asked if I wanted an ambulance......I instructed him how to call my mom (as much as she drives me nuts) and talk to her til DP got home, in order to keep him calmed down.

DS talked to my mom until DP got home. DP decided that it would be easier to call an ambulance rather then make me wait and struggle to get the kids ready.

We told paramedics that we needed to go a certain hospital. We found out a few minutes later that our hospital was closed to all ambulances and we would have to go to a different one. Once there, they hooked me up to monitors and called thier oncall Dr for that hospital. He was a major jerk! He came in, said I wasnt showing contractions on the monitor, did a quick pelvis said I wasnt in labor and my cervix was still closed. I tried explaining to him that with my cerclage, he wasnt going to find much if any dilitation, and that if the nurse would put my monitor in the right place he would see some contractions.....weak ones from the meds working so well, but they would be there. He refused to listen and told me to go home. I told him, I didnt want to leave, that I knew I was in labor since the same thing happened with my twins. Again he told me to go home, and that if I was one of his patients he would tell me the same thing.

DP called our hospital and told them we were coming in, and we left to go in. The time we arrived was 5:30pm....I registered and walked the hallway, did some squats, had DP rub my back and hips. When shift change was over around 7:15 they finally cleared a bed in triage for me and called me back. DP went home to be with the kids.

They know how my contractions have been and my fav nurse got the monitors in the right place Contractions were showing up every 1-3 minutes. Dr came in, and did a quickie ultrasound to check fluid levels, and measure the baby.....weight was estimated at 5lbs 7oz. He did an interal exam, found my cervix to me thinnned and alot of pressure was on my cerlage causing some swelling around it, so he decided it was time to remove it.

They finally got a room on the floor and transfered me to it. I was given a shot of demerol in my thigh to help with the pain for the removal and to help relax me. Needless to say, it didnt help. I cried the whole time....it felt awful, like someone was trying to rip me wide open. They finally decided to give me an IV and some other med....by the time it kicked in, it had been about 30 minutes from start of removal to the time it came out.

A quick internal showed about 20% effacement, 1-2cm, and baby was at a minus 3......my contractions were still the same. We waited an hour, and they checked me again. I was found to be 80%, 2cm, baby was at-1 and the dr said he could feel the membranes but wasnt going to rupture them. I sat in the birth ball for around an hour or so, rocked back and forth, bounced a little, leaned on the bed and tried to relax. When I stood up to walk a little there was a decent amount of blood on the towel, so the dr decided to check me one more time before deciding whether or not to send me home to labor, or keep me. At this point I was in so much pain that I could barely climb back on the bed......contractions had gotton stronger and longer...so we figured that was a good sign.

When I laid down there a decent gush of blood, and when the dr checked it was full of clots, and my cervix had swollen to the point he couldnt even say I was a fingertip dilitated. It was then that we all decided a section would the best way to go...baby still looked good on the monitor.....he had a few decels during some major contractions, but he recovered quickly.

I was prepped for surgery around 4:30am. Wheeled into the OR and got my spinal around 5am. Dp sat by my head holding my hand when they started. At some point I remember looking at the suction tube and noticed there was a ton of blood..more than I thought there should be. Dr said something about a blood vessel, then something to the extent of "that wasnt a blood vessel, it was the placenta...the placents shouldnt have been that low (all ultrasounds showed a high placed placenta, no where near the area they would be cutting), we need to get the baby out now" All I remember at that point was the pressure from 8 sets of hands pushing on my chest and stomach, and a major tugging sensation. Before he was out completly, I felt a nice sharp pain in my chest, like someone had cracked a rib or something. DP said at that point I was crying sayin I couldnt breath, and the anesthesia guy gave me something. DP said there was blood everywhere....dripping off the table all over the floor....I saw someone grab a bunch of blue towels off the shelf near me and DP said they were throwing on the puddles on the floor. At this point I started puking, and could barely even turn my head to see the baby when the dr held him up and announced it was a boy.

Nurse took the camera and got us a few pics while they started fixing me up. He was crying pretty loudly and everyone commented on how strong he looked and sounded....I figured things were fine. They allowed DP to go over by him while they worked on me. I heard someone tell him that the baby was retracting and needed a little help breathing so they were gunna give him a tube and some meds. I was able to kiss him before they took him and DP to the NICU. It took over an hour from birth until I was stiched up.

I dont recall much about recovery cept being in alot of pain. I know I asked about the baby, and was told he was doing good......besides that I dont recall anything else, not even being taken to my room on the postpartum floor.

i WAS HOPINH TO GET THIS DONE BEFORE I NEEDED TO PUMP AGAIN AND HEAD TO THE NICU, BUT ITS TAKIGN LONGER THAN I THOUGHT, SO I WILL FINISH UP WHEN I GET BACK AND GET A PIC POSTED TOO!
#2 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 01:30 AM
DBZ

I hope your little sweetie is out of NICU asap. I wish your delivery was a lot easier then how you described . Can I put you on the birth announcement thread?

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#3 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 01:39 AM

oh wow sweetie. I'm glad you are in good hands! Stay strong and know we're all thinking of you.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#4 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 02:02 AM

Thinking of you and your family It's sounds like you've gone through a lot, but I'm just glad that you and Ayden Jaxon are doing well now.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#5 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM

Sending you all :
#6 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 AM

hang in there, mama!

I know this isn't the birth you planned, but I'm praying that both you and your baby are doing fine now. How traumatic! The blood loss sounds super scary. But your dh sounds wonderful.

Let us know how things are asap, ok?
#7 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 AM

Thinking about you and Ayden tonight!!!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#8 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 04:10 AM

wow, that does not sound like fun. I'm glad your little one is ok and hope you're in less pain now.

Update us when you can and congratulations on your little boy!

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#9 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 06:19 AM

congrats on the little one! recover well!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#10 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 07:49 AM

Happy Birthday Ayden!

Sending you lots of hugs and blessings!
#11 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Welcome Ayden!!

I'm sorry his birth didn't go as planned but I'm so glad you both are doing so well. Thinking of you, mama!
#12 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Welcome Ayden!

Congrats and many + thoughts coming your way for a speedy recovery and short NICU stay!
#13 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Congrats on the birth of your son.
#14 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM

You are in all of our thoughts!!! Welcome little Ayden and as all the other wonderful ladies have said, please update us as soon as you can. I'm so sorry that your birth was so difficult... but we are so glad you are doing well now!!!
#15 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Glad to hear it went well despite all the rest of the stuff. You win you were right you were the next one to have the baby.
#16 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Welcome to the world Ayden Jaxton!!!

Take care, lilgsmommy, hope to hear all well and home soon.
#17 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!!

And I'm impressed the doc was so close on the weight estimate!
#18 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through so much pain, and that yucky doctor at the bad hospital -- he needs a lesson in humility. Hmmph. I hope AJ bounces back quickly and that you are all home soon. Thank you for sharing so much detail about your birth. I'm sure it will be helpful to many other moms.
#19 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Happy Birthday, Ayden!!!!

What a scary experience. I hope you are both doing a bit better now, recovering together.
#20 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Congratulations, and welcome Ayden!

I hope your recovery is going well. A couple things in your birth story made me curious - what are the reasons your cervix may have become swollen? I've never heard of that before. And what happened with the placenta and blood loss, were those related? If the Ultrasounds didn't show the placenta being so low, does that mean you had a placental abruption of some sort? I'm so glad you're alright, I'm sure so much blood loss was super scary for you and your DP.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#21 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
Congratulations, and welcome Ayden!

I hope your recovery is going well. A couple things in your birth story made me curious - what are the reasons your cervix may have become swollen? I've never heard of that before. And what happened with the placenta and blood loss, were those related? If the Ultrasounds didn't show the placenta being so low, does that mean you had a placental abruption of some sort? I'm so glad you're alright, I'm sure so much blood loss was super scary for you and your DP.

I really wont know too many answers until I see the Dr on wednesday.

We knew there was a chance that my cervix might swell from the trauma of the cerclage removal......it took 30 minutes to get it out, and there was alot of tugging and pulling and it was not something I ever want to feel again....it was awful.....I bled alot just from the removal itself.

We are not sure what happened with the placenta.....im not sure anyone is. From the very begining it had always been at the top of my uterus and near the front.....every ultrasound they checked placement of it, and it was no where near the lower portion of my uterus at any time. To hear the Dr say that it shouldnt have been there, really makes me wonder what happened too......no one is really sure.
#22 of 27 Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM

I'm so glad things turned out ok. That YOU are ok! And that you switched hospitals. Scary to think what would have happened had you followed the original dr's advice!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#23 of 27 Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Welcome Ayden!!
WIshing you a speedy recovery and a quick homecoming for your little one.
Thank you for sharing your story.
#24 of 27 Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Congratulations! Take care of yourself! I hope that you recover soon and A.J. becomes stronger by the minute!
#25 of 27 Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Welcome, Ayden! What a strong boy you are.

Wow, momma, it sounds like you endured a lot--what a strong momma you are. I hope your little guy's getting stronger and stronger by the minute so he can be home with you soon.

I'm praying for you both. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Congratulations!!!!
#26 of 27 Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM

just realized our babies' proportions are exactly the same!
#27 of 27 Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear that it was so urgent and scary-sounding... the blood would have been hard to take for me - you sound SO STRONG!!!

It's wonderful that you're making such a quick recovery.

Congratulations on your sweet baby Ayden, and kudos to your husband for staying so steady for all of you.

Take care.

Trin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page