weekly thread Feb 18-24.08 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 95 Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mamas. I had the appointment with the high risk OB. Everything should be okay from the stand point of the genetic mutation- the kind dd has and what I could have almost exclusively cause problems in adults and pregnancy (for miscarriage, spina bifida, etc, you just take some extra folic acid to make up for it). Still waiting on the blood work to see exactly which I have.

Anyway. They still don't know exactly what caused dd2's stroke. They requested her newborn blood tests to check her platlets because one of the possibilities is very rare but gets worse with each pregnancy. The high risk OB was very nice but recommended a repeat c/s because of all the issues together (dd2's stroke, the 2 previous c/s, dd2's low birth weight even though she was 41.5 weeks concerned him too although they estimated this one right about 7lbs today). So I don't know what I'm going to do. Dh has always been ambivalent about trying for another vbac after what happened with dd2 (and I can't blame him). Once I can talk about it without crying I'm going to call my doula and talk to her (she's also a CPM).

I have to say the OB was easily the most honest I've talked to, he referred to the ACOG as the union of of OBGYN's (and said to keep that in mind when considering their recommendations) and said that lawsuits are what scare a lot of doctors off of VBACs.

:
#62 of 95 Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Elaina, what is CA?
Calcium. I take the liquid Calcium/magnesium.

My midwife told me yesterday that eating asparagus helps decrease swelling.
She says it just soaks all that fluid up. Dig in! :
#63 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 AM
DBZ

My feet are swollen too. I'm not worried too much because my bp is still fine and my protien was trace last visit. Also the swelling goes down at night. I forgot to let the mw know. I'll tell her on Friday.

With my last pregnancy, the OB said I was starting to get pre-e because I had high bp and lots of swelling. It was pitting edema practically all the way to my knee and it did not go away at night.

CherryBomb, I just wanted to send you some hugs. I know what it's like to worry about this genetic stuff. My oldest has a genetic disorder (Sotos syndrome). You have more health issues to worry about though. Hang in there. I pray that everything with be fine with your baby.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#64 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 05:00 AM

I had foot/ankle swelling with my last pregnancy, no medical issue at all, just a product of warm weather and being on my feet a lot. Drinking more water (sounds counter-intuitive but it works) is what helped the most, as well as elevating my feet when I got home. It's not easy to elevate your feet and sit in an optimal fetal positioning position, let me tell you, so I alternated a lot

food- I've stocked the freezer with a lot of frozen food, last time a friend coordinated a food chain for us and my mom came over and cooked a lot. This time I'm not counting on either of those things happening, so I want to be prepared with easy frozen stuff to put together.
#65 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Also, watch what you are eating! I notice for me, it comes when I make a food choice of something that may not agree with me that well. Or something less than healthy.
Also, I try to eat lots of good fats which really seems to help. I had terrible swelling both times previously but this time it is only certain days.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#66 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just peeking in for today. Been feeling off all day, crampy, but no contractions, losing my mucose plug. I am going to try and get some rest, b/c I was up every hour last night. Oh I hope something is happening, although I have lost my plug weeks before labour was provoked.
#67 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post

CherryBomb, I just wanted to send you some hugs. I know what it's like to worry about this genetic stuff. My oldest has a genetic disorder (Sotos syndrome). You have more health issues to worry about though. Hang in there. I pray that everything with be fine with your baby.
Thanks. Tomorrow I have an OB appointment (and I'll be 38 weeks) and I'm going to see if I can get the OB to compromise with me on vaginal birth. If not it looks like I'll end up with another section, I haven't been able to find anyone else who will consider doing VBA2C.
#68 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 06:30 PM

What a way to wake up!!

This morning I woke up to a charley horse in my thigh, a right hand that was totally asleep, and a wet stinky pee bed from ds.
He RARELY pees the bed. Luckily we still have the protective covers on underneath the mattress pad.

Ah, the joys of pregnancy and motherhood.

I better run off now and wash the sheets while I have a minute!
#69 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Had a moment of sadness there, reading about planning, pre-labor and labor, wishing that was me, a week or so to go, even though I was SO ready to be done with pregnancy. I think it's just that I've had a moment after all the hectic, mind numbing NICU days and past few days of toddler sibling jealousy hell to even reflect that I did't get to go through the birth I would have liked to have had.... que cera cera, though.

I AM truly grateful to have Savitri here, reasonably healthy, and thank God she's out of that NICU. We're just continue to work on that feeding - she's actually doing shorter spells with shorter intervals now, which I guess is stable for volume. She had gained 3 oz after D/c at the peds on Tues! I'm getting in touch with a bf support group and hoping to weigh her there regularly. Other than that, we are on RSV risk restrictions - not taking her out anywhere, few visitors, lots of handwashing, etc. Arjuna is not taking it easily - he tries to hit, roll over on, knock her off me, etc. Just trying to develop distraction/ esteem building/ time alone for him strategies to cope and trying to be patient (sometimes failing). All in all, I'm thrilled to be home and cuddling both my babies (albeit separately, for safety's sake!).

Good luck with everyone's preparations and babies to come!
#70 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM

CherryBomb -

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#71 of 95 Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM

35 weeks today! :-) Only 1 1/2 weeks until I can have a homebirth~ always provided that baby stays head down, which is looking more likely as we go along. Had an ultrasound yesterday to confirm position... wow! I'd never had one and was amazed at how clearly we could see. :-) We weren't planning on having a u/s, but it was very special
I have a cold, and the drainage is giving me nausea. The only things that sound good are gatoraid and fruit juice and tea. And lots of sleep. My mw pointed out that at least I'm sick now, not later around my due date. I'm mentally nesting. I lie on the couch and think about projects.

My husband is certain that my belly has grown since yesterday. He is mostly basing this, I think, on the fact that my belly button is flat, and possibly even beginning to bulge outward slightly. The joke in his family is when the belly button pops (like a turkey timer) you're done. I told him the way I felt that was just fine, but he laughingly said "Nooooooo!" and started listing things we haven't gotten done.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#72 of 95 Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Well, I'm 38 weeks today and I have an OB appointment this afternoon. I know she's going to want to schedule a rcs, I'm hoping to convince her to give me a chance to labor. Considering she's known from the beginning I wanted to try a VBA2C I think I deserve a chance. :

Wish me luck, if she refused I'm in a really tight spot because I can't find anyone else who will consider it.
#73 of 95 Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
Well, I'm 38 weeks today and I have an OB appointment this afternoon. I know she's going to want to schedule a rcs, I'm hoping to convince her to give me a chance to labor. Considering she's known from the beginning I wanted to try a VBA2C I think I deserve a chance. :

Wish me luck, if she refused I'm in a really tight spot because I can't find anyone else who will consider it.

Good luck!

Marieke (Tanthe! )

Mama to Dashiell (July '05) and Matilda (March '08)
#74 of 95 Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

good luck!

#75 of 95 Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 PM

#76 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 AM

that's great katie!

So is anyone feeling like things are going to be soon? I'm having one of those days. tmi, but I've had really really loose stools all day, and have been losing lots and lots of my plug. And she's dropped even more, to the point where I feel she's falling out (ah, don't you just love that feeling?) Dh thinks it'll be soon. I am hoping it will be a little bit, especially because my dd bit my nipple out of the blue last night (and she's been weaned for 6mo!)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#77 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 AM

This weekend, at 38 weeks pregnant, I'm picking up my entire household and moving an hour away. I start tomorrow at 9am.

Gods help me.
#78 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 02:15 AM

Ya, I won't be surprised if you post a "he was born at one house but I labored in another" thread soon! Good luck victoria.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#79 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post
Ya, I won't be surprised if you post a "he was born at one house but I labored in another" thread soon! Good luck victoria.
You don't know how right you are! With all the packing and running around I've been having contractions on and off for a couple of days. Nothing serious or regular, but enough to take notice of.
#80 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM

egads, I have moved while pregnant before, but not quite this pregnant! Good luck with that, Victoria.

Kothi, when I had a preemie, I mourned the loss of the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy, too. Your body and your mind are a little thrown off by the unexpected turn of events.

I am 36 weeks today, yay. We are having some pretty serious snow, and I am up waiting to make sure DH makes it home from work. We live on a steep hill, so even if he makes it most of the way home, I'm thinking he may have to dump the car at the foot of the hill and walk up. Also up because my 4 year old has been throwing up for the past 8 hours. He is on the couch, and I don't want to bring him upstairs and then have to go running up there to clean up his bed. But I am tired and achy and I would give anything for a nice hot bath right now. I had some killer contractions earlier and was thinking, this would so NOT be a good time to go into labor.
#81 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 AM
DBZ

With my last child I moved when I was 8 months pregnant. It was the move from hell and by 2pm each day I was popping tylenol like it was candy. It took about 4 days to get me moved and I was only going a mile! The people who helped me with most of the lifting just put boxes and furniture in the house with no regard to the room it should have been in. About 2 or 3 weeks later I was put on bed rest for high blood pressure.

Last night I was staying at my friends house overnight. We do that every so often. Nursing Abby caused me some pretty darn good ctx that didn't let up when I unlatched her. I paced the house a bit to try to get them to become regular, but I wasn't in my house and I sat down to watch a movie with my friend and they stopped. I was so bummed.

My doula is running a workshop on the 29th about fertility awareness and natural child spacing. I will laugh hysterically if she has to cancel it cuz I'm in labor.

#82 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Moving while pregnant -- this brings back memories. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my first when we moved from one teeny apartment to another teeny apartment. My SIL was going to be married about 4 days later, and I hadn't finished sewing my bridesmaid's dress, and we had a plane to catch! I remember sitting up in a room filled with boxes, sewing like a madwoman, while FLEAS bit my ankles mercilessly. Seems the last tenants had had an illegal dog and left 1 million fleas behind.

Hey, I actually slept last night! I had DH sleep out on the couch with the little barfing guy, and I had the bed and all the pillows to myself. Ahhhh. I woke up at 8 a.m. and was completely bewildered that I hadn't been up 4 or 5 times during the night. My head feels much clearer than usual!

Hey DBZ, are you buried in snow?
#83 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 01:30 PM

oops, double post

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

#84 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Victoria - good luck with the move! You are amazing, I can't imagine doing something like that right now

Katrinka - glad to hear you got some rest; hope your little guy is feeling better!

#85 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 PM
DBZ

Yep we sure are buried. The news last night said my area got 11 inches. I haven't bothered to go outside yet.

#86 of 95 Old 02-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Moving while pg - I have doen it twice at about 34 weeks. It is so stressful to get everything ready, but I have to admit to liking the part where all I have to do is point and my stuff is where it should be! LOL

I just wanted to share...today we (local birth network) hosted a bellycasting party free for anyone who was willing to have people practice on them. I had mine done last week so I was not one of the belly models, but we had 7 women being cast and it was so much fun. All the beautiful pregnant bellies, all different shapes and sizes, sitting around, enjoying being pampered! So if you haven't had a bellycast done....get to it!

Contracting like crazy over here as usual, feel like my pubic bone may actually split apart, but other than that all is pretty calm. Working on my extensive to-do list and wondering why it keeps growing instead of shrinking.....hmmmm.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#87 of 95 Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Working on my extensive to-do list and wondering why it keeps growing instead of shrinking.....hmmmm.
I KNOW! My current to-do list is about three times as long as the original! And I keep half-finishing things, which means I can't tick them off, or spending time on things I forgot to list, which means I don't have anything to tick off when I've finished them (I've considered writing them down and crossing them off, just for the look of the thing, but I'm not quite that sad... yet!). It's very frustrating.

Speaking of which, I might have time to get in just a little more painting and/or making some pumpkin soup to freeze, before bedtime. Only two days before DH gets back! I wanted to surprise him with the baby's room all finished and made up, and the living room entirely painted. Chances are slim.

ETA: It's 4:41AM and I can't sleep. Must resist urge to go into living room and start painting. It's a cliche, and besides, I have a busy day tomorrow... today... whenever! But my room is full of mosquitoes, and I can't sleep very well when DH is away, and--I dunno. I feel far too chipper.

ETA: 5:28AM... Okay, I did a little painting...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#88 of 95 Old 02-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Well I was up here til the wee hours. Like 4:30. I had taken a looooooong nap yesterday afternoon. Then fell asleep watching a movie. Then woke up and couldn't sleep for a huge storm we had. I laid awake listening to the wind howl and blow like crazy banging stuff into our house!Tree branches were snapping- my parakeets were acting crazy....

The only painting I have left is the hallway. Which is small comparatively to the bedroom. I hung pictures back up in the bedroom yesterday, and everything is pretty much done in there except the curtains for my shelving. I can knock those out today though.

I felt kind of sick these past 2 days, so I rested. I finished painting/rearranging on Thursday, then Friday had a playdate here and crashed afterward.

#89 of 95 Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
But my room is full of mosquitoes,
Your room is full of mosquitoes? Where do you live? I may have a foot of snow outside, but at least the mosquitoes are all dead.

I was a crazy baking - nesting fool yesterday and I paid the price with a horrible night's sleep. Contractions all night plus a horrible leg cramp.
But, in my freezer, I now have: 4 loaves bread, 2 doz lemon muffins, 2 doz orange choc chip muffins, 1.5 doz gingerbread muffins, 2 doz bagels, double batch of brownies, and double batch of chocolate chip cookies. :

Today, I am moving on to making dinners for the freezer. We're also going out right now to buy our co-sleeper (YAY for fast tax refund!!!). And if I can convince DH, to the fabric store because I want to make some new couch pillows.

My little boy is all better, and -- crossing fingers very tightly -- no one else is sick yet. School starts again tomorrow.
#90 of 95 Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Katrinka~ View Post
Your room is full of mosquitoes? Where do you live? I may have a foot of snow outside, but at least the mosquitoes are all dead.

I was a crazy baking - nesting fool yesterday and I paid the price with a horrible night's sleep. Contractions all night plus a horrible leg cramp.
But, in my freezer, I now have: 4 loaves bread, 2 doz lemon muffins, 2 doz orange choc chip muffins, 1.5 doz gingerbread muffins, 2 doz bagels, double batch of brownies, and double batch of chocolate chip cookies. :

Today, I am moving on to making dinners for the freezer. We're also going out right now to buy our co-sleeper (YAY for fast tax refund!!!). And if I can convince DH, to the fabric store because I want to make some new couch pillows.

My little boy is all better, and -- crossing fingers very tightly -- no one else is sick yet. School starts again tomorrow.
that is a lot of yummy food in your freezer!!! Way to go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page