"False Labor" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Let me just say I can't believe it's possible to do so much work without ANY measurable results. On Monday, I had the flu, and was throwing up etc. all day. That night, after the fever broke, I woke up to some cramps that came on pretty regularly, but I just tried to sleep through them. In the morning, I had "bloody show" and my husband and I were really excited and identified the cramps as labor. I continued to lose the mucous plug all day. The contractions were about 45 seconds long, going from 7 minutes to 5 minutes apart, off and on, no percievable pattern for a long time, just coming on all day and night and the next day (yesterday). Josh thought that they were about a minute at times, and so we just counted them as that (hey, we don't really know what we're doing!) Many times we thought that we should go in, but when I lay down, they stopped, so we tried to sleep. They were painful in my back starting around midnight two nights ago, and I had to moan through them. It was so hard to relax! I couldn't get in a good position.

Then yesterday I had an appointment with the midwife anyway, after more of the same but more intense all day, because today is my EDD, and she checked me and said my cervix was thick and closed!! Also the baby is a little bit posterior, so hence the severe back pain. We were shocked, I'd barely been able to walk into the office, but she told us to go home and have a beer and sex and try to sleep. But I can't lay down because my hips hurt too bad, and when I do I get those surges of back pain that are so unbearable. I had to sleep sideways in an armchair last night with my legs all contorted to ease the surges of back agony. Today, I am so loose in the hips that I can't really stand, and have to sit forward straddling a chair or propped up with pillows. My husband is so wonderful, he is helping me in every way, picking me up and bringing me to the bathroom, rubbing my back, etc. He's stayed home from work three days now. I'm encouraged by loving friends and family, but have my moments of dreading the real thing, because of how hard this trial run has been.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having all these seemingly real contrax. that go nowhere IS frusterating. *sigh* Right there with ya! And I am leaking water, and getting TINY amts. of mucousy blood (TMI, sorry) when I wipe. I want to get checked but if I hear nothing is happening I will lose my mind, so I'm not. In other words, I get it.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM

oh mamas, hang in there. I have no advice just support and comfort. : for a break!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeowch. I'm sorry! Your DH sounds wonderful though. (I doubt mine could even lift me at this stage!). Let's hope the 'real thing' gives you an easy time to make up for this!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM

Oh dear that sounds really frustrating.

My babe is posterior too and in my childbirth book it says any position where you're leaning forward is good for both relieving labor back pain and encouraging the baby to turn anterior.

Also I've heard that though for most mothers contractions get progressively stronger and more painful, some women start labor out with very intense ctx and that they never actually get worse. hang in there, you are strong, you can do it!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Hopefully, you won't have much longer. With DS, he too was posterior and I went through false labor with him where they sent me home from the hospital. I was embarrassed but most of all, frustrated because I thought if it hurt that bad now, what would labor be like?

But when real labor comes, you will do beautifully. Though you're disappointed with not being dilated, all the work you have done isn't in vain. Your body is just getting ready.

I'm so glad you have such good support. Being pregnant and sick isn't easy. Take care of yourself and I hope you get some relief soon!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 AM

Ugh. I hope you're closer than it seems! Your body is working hard and it's not in vain, just less measurable than conventional labor! Hang in there!

My baby is posterior too. A lot of the research I've done and that my mw friend has reccomended has shown that doing knees and chest position* in early labor for 45 minutes is pretty effective at helping baby to change position. You might consider trying that now in the hopes that helping baby to change position will kick things into gear? Hope you have your little one with you soon!

*knees & chest is when you are on your knees (bottom in the air) and lay your torso onto the ground so that your chest and face are flat on the ground. Arms can be where they will be comfortable: at your sides, tucked under your cheek, etc.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).

User Tag List