Expressing milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So during my childbirth class last night we watched a video and it showed a short clip on how to hand express milk. The teacher said we should go home and try to express colostrum (most of us are due within the month). I couldn't get anything to come out...is this a bad sign? Are all women able to get some kind of fluid out right before the baby is due or do some people just not express anything until after birth?

Ally
#2 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 PM

I don't know if it's normal, but the same thing happens to me. The volume of colostrum (especially pre-baby) is soooo much smaller than milk. I have to really squeeze to get a tiny droplet to come out(basically to make my nipple just a little wet, and only one side does it), but my milk came in fine with DD. Do you have any evidence of leaking at night? I sometimes have tiny dried flakes on my nipples. When my milk came with dd, I was overwhelmed by how much there was! I didn't even know that I was engorged because I couldn't believe that my breasts could still be relatively soft(I guess I expected them to be stretched and hard like having implants or something) and still have 10 gallons of milk in them. After DD was born I made the mistake of sleeping without a bra-and 'wet' the bed in my sleep-wow that was alot of milk!
#3 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Some women are able to actually get something, some just a few drops, some nothing. You'll be fine when it comes time to nurse your little one! And baby will be happy to have all of that lovely colustrum (that your body will make)!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#4 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't worry at all! What is the purpose of doing it anyway?

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I wouldn't worry at all! What is the purpose of doing it anyway?
I think it was just for practice and maybe for fun?! We were talking about how some babies are very sleepy and it's difficult to get them to eat enough and she suggested we express a little milk and rub it on their lips to get them awake and interested.

Ally
#6 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.

When I was pg with DD, I never got colostrum until after she was born. We nursed for 28 mos.

With this pg, though, I've had colostrum since about week 24 or so. I figure I have it this time because it's my 2nd pregnancy, but who really knows.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#7 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I just wasn't sure if this was something we're "suppose" to be able to do at this point or not. Looks like I'm normal!

Ally
#8 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*LLL Leader hat on*

It is definitely NOT a bad sign! Whether or not you leak or can express colostrum during pregnancy has nothing to do with your ability to breastfeed after birth, or with how much milk you'll make. All women are different, some leak like water faucets during pregnancy and others can't express a drop, but almost all (99% give or take) will be able to breastfeed.

*hat off*

I wish the instructor would have pointed that out! I hope no other mamas were unable to express and were left fearing something could be wrong!
#9 of 9 Old 03-07-2008, 04:12 PM

I think that was bad advice on her part. I tried expressing during this pregnancy and yadda yadda yadda ended up with awful mastitis.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page