Mothering Forum banner

Harper Rivka is here

777 views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Funnie 
#1 ·
Harper Rivka was born yesterday, March 6th at 10:13am. 8lb, 19.25", just under 6 hour labor.

It was a wild birth- much faster and more intense than my first. Our backup midwife got to our house only 10 minutes before she was born, and our primary midwife missed it completely. I woke at 4:30am with contractions 10 minutes apart- easy to breathe through, very typical early labor. I had my parents take my DD to preschool at 9, contractions were still 10 minutes apart, so I was thinking I'd labor through the day.

Right after they left my water broke, and things progressed very very quickly. Contractions were coming on very strong and much closer together (I wasn't timing), DH was running around filling the tub and making the bed. I literally felt my cervix opening as I knelt on the birth ball and said "open open open". The next contraction I felt her move down, and I went to the bed. Two contractions later DH and I saw the head (no midwives had arrived yet), and he told me he'd catch her. I really wanted to get in the water tub though, and tried to sort of hold her back through another contraction. As soon as the backup midwife got there I hustled into the tub and pushed out her head with the next contraction. She had a nuchal hand (thank goodness- I can only imagine how quickly she would have come out without that hand up!), but thanks (I think) to the water I have only a super-tiny tear on my perineum, no stitches needed.

DH called my parents and they brought DD home from preschool early to meet her new little sister. We're all healthy and happy and getting used to being a foursome. I still can't really believe how fast it all was- from ten minute apart contractions to birth in just over an hour! She's beautiful of course, and DD1 is seriously in love with her little sister which is wonderful.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.