No weight gain for the last three weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be 38 weeks on Wednesday, and for the past three weeks I have had zero weight gain. I have gained around 39 pounds this pregnancy, so putting on weight hasn't been a problem! I haven't had any changes to my diet, nor have I had any illness or nausea.

Do you think this is a cause for concern?

Also, I definitely have had a decrease in fetal movements. This baby has never been terribly active, but last night I felt maybe two movements, and today nothing since I woke up two hours ago. Is this the normal decrease of activity due to size?

Should I call my midwife? I am such a worrier, I hate that I seem to panic about every little thing.
#2 of 9 Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM

It's pretty typical to stay the same weight, or at least to taper off in gaining weight for the last 6 weeks or so. It's been the case for me, too, except for maybe yesterday when I had a massive donut binge...lol.

And I think that still sounds like normal movement. If you can count 10 kicks/movements from the time you get up until you go to bed, you're in good shape. But, of course, call your midwife if you're worried. :-) HTH! We've gotta be almost done with this, right? Or am I going to be pregnant forever? *sigh*

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#3 of 9 Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Slow / no weight gain at the end is completely normal and lots of people lose a bit in the last few weeks... So no worries there!

I have also noticed less movement lately but there's enough there for me to stay calm. I agree that calling the mw just to talk it through and see what she says is worthwhile. Personally, there's enough anxiety floating around my house that I'll do whatever it takes to tame it!
#4 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 AM

I would say the uneven weight gain thing is no problem. I even had a month 2nd tri when I didn't gain! As long as you're eating well I'm sure you're body is taking care of baby just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
Also, I definitely have had a decrease in fetal movements. This baby has never been terribly active, but last night I felt maybe two movements, and today nothing since I woke up two hours ago. Is this the normal decrease of activity due to size?

Should I call my midwife? I am such a worrier, I hate that I seem to panic about every little thing.
About movement, don't feel silly about calling your midwife and talking about the decreased movement - mine says call & come in and be checked when we have this impression - even though it ends up usually being just because of a position change. And even though each movement seems smaller because it's more cramped in there I think we're still supposed to feel 10/hr or /2hrs?...

I'm sure it's normal but give your midwife a call to be reassured!
#5 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM

I have had little to no weight gain in the last month or so. I have gained about 43lbs during this pg and my mw said not to worry. I would call about the movement. This lo has a pattern. He will be super active for a few days, then very *not* active for a few days; however, every time I go to check it out it is fine. My best advice is trust your gut. If you truly think something is wrong it just might be. But it always helps to call instead of worry. Have you tried eating something sweet and laying down?

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#6 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely more worried about the decrease in movement now, over the weight.

During the day yesterday I seemed to be able to count just about 10 movements every two hours, once it was 9. In the evening, I got a chance to lay down after dinner and he seemed to get more in, like 12-14, in those two hours.

I haven't called my mw. I do feel like a worrier, and I hesitate to bother her. She has never given me the impression of being one to call if it isn't labor or something. And I don't want to call the OB I am seeing in tandem, because they use any excuse for another ultrasound. I guess I should either stop worrying or suck it up and call.
#7 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
mtm

Call your mw, that's what she is there for. The no weight gain wouldn't worry me, the less movement might though.
#8 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weight, at my last appt. I lost 2 lbs.!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#9 of 9 Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone. I did call and saw my mw this afternoon. The baby sounds great. She thinks he is starting to drop, and has just run out of room. It felt so good to hear that solid heartbeat. Everything else looks good. She told me to "stop worrying!"

I wonder if I can follow that advice...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page