Lochia question for postpartum mamas . . . maybe tmi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, to all the ladies who have delivered their precious babes and/or to those of you who remember how long it lasted with previous pregnancies:

How long did you experience the lochia postpartum bleeding?

I'm 2 weeks postpartum and am still needing to wear 1-2 pads a day because of red bleeding. I'm feeling fine and everything but am reading that I *should* only be seeing light stuff by now so I'm wondering if I should call my doc or not.

Any feedback would be great!! TIA
#2 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

That sounds like a little more than I had at that stage with my two, but this sort of thing varies a lot and it is probably nothing to worry about. I'd consult your midwife/doctor just to make sure.

Heavier/redder than normal bleeding can also be a sign that you are overdoing it - does your bleeding change if you are less active for a while?
#3 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 AM

You know, I remember bleeding or 4+ weeks with G. At discharge, the nurse told me to expect to bleed for 3-5 weeks. I agree that increased bleeding is a sign that you are doing too much, but unless things are picking up or cramping more, I probably wouldn't worry too much. You could always just call and see what answer you get if you are still concerned . . .
#4 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I would just call in case - i remember a lot of bleeding up to ab 3 weeks, but turning brown/clotty by end of 2 ish. I'm sure it all just varies, and if you're feeling good, I would guess it's within the normal range. I'm still trickling at 4+ w/ C/S, so it does just go on & on.
#5 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM

I bled for a full 6 weeks. The flow the entire time was much like a regular period. After 6 weeks, I bled for another 2 weeks but very lightly.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#6 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM

If I remember correctly, I bled for about 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure I stopped a little before my 6-week post-partum checkup, actually, so it must've been a little BEFORE 6 weeks, bc I also remember having sex a day or two before my 6-week post-partum checkup lol. I remember I bled on and off towards the end though.

It DOES vary. My mom bled with my brother for 3 weeks and with me for 8 weeks. If you're really concerned though I would definitly call up your doctor and explain to him/her what you're experiencing. It IS true though, it's just like when you have your period, if you notice you're moving around a lot you're going to notice more blood. If you're relaxing a lot you're not going to see that much blood. It's just when you're moving around the more blood comes out of you.

Just take it easy, but call your doctor!
#7 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM

6. Full. Weeks.

With each child.
#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 AM

DD1 - 8 weeks, bright red until the day it stopped. Very weird and annoying.

DD2 - 6 weeks, followed the more 'textbook' way of lochia changing in colour and amount of flow as time progressed.
#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM

This time I only had red bleeding for about a week and now it's just been light pink/brownish. But with my previous 3 pregnancies I bled red blood for at least 4 weeks and then it started to change. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets really heavy or you start to cramp. Everyone is different. And like the pp said, try not to over do it because it tends to make you bleed heavier.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies ladies! Since I'm feeling just fine I am not too worried but it makes me feel better knowing what other people have experienced!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page