pre-eclamsia symptoms??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing but for the past week I have just not been feeling right.

At first I chalked it up to being sick like everyone else in the house (cough, fever, ect) from the week before but that is mostly better just the occasional cough.

This past week my bp was elevated for the first time at my midwife appt. but she too said that bp can be elevated when you're sick.

But I've also been feeling very nauseous all day every day-doesn't matter if I eat or not. That has been going on for probably the past 2 weeks. I remember commenting to my DH that it felt like I had morining sickness again.

The past few days I have had a dull headache all day too and just generally feel icky without being able to put my finger on it.

I had to take my ring off for the first time and my feet have been more swollen this week too but I don't think my swelling is really extreme just more than it has been so far.

Also, at night my arms and hands have been feeling kinda numb and tingly and my hands have been swollen when I wake up in the morning.

Sooo, I feel kind of silly asking if you all think this is normal end of pg stuff since this is my 4th but I don't remember having these symptoms right at the end with my other pregnancies and I have never been diagnosed with pre-e either.

What do you think? Am I worrying over nothing??? TIA!

Cheri

forgot to mention I'm 39+ weeks along, so due any time now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM

Though pre-e is nothing to sneeze at, I would say not to worry if you are being seen every week. I had some protein in my urine and high blood pressure in my last pregnancy and had to have extra tests. My dr told me not to worry, but to call immediately if I had chest pains or problems with my vision.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
DBZ

Are you drinking enough? You need to make sure that you are getting enough fluids. Some of your symptoms could be chalked up to dehydration.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Mama, please get checked out ASAP!!!! I felt really "off" last week, and got in to get checked, and I had developed pre-e extremely suddenly. I got induced Thurs. afternoon at 37 weeks, and had my little guy Fri. a.m. He was my 5th baby, and I've never dealt with this before.

I had a headache, not much if any swelling, tingly hands(which I had for the last couple months), not peeing very much...but just felt like something was off. I went in for an appt. and my b.p. was quite high, was taken over to Labor and Delivery within about a half hour. It was extremely scary that it came on so suddenly. I had had mildly elevated b.p. at my last appt, but not actually considered high blood pressure until Thurs. afternoon.

Pre-e is nothing to mess around with. I say better to be safe than sorry.

My prayers are with you Mama!! Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Better safe than sorry-I hope you go get checked out, and also make sure you aren't dehydrated too. Let us know what happens!!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
mtm

I agree, go in and at least get a bp and urine check. I just felt off with my second, similar symptoms.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I still felt the same today so before my DH left for work (on swing) I went to the pharmacy close by to check my bp and it was 172/101!!! I freaked out a little and started to cry. I have never had my bp this high before. During pregnancy I'm usually in the 120's/60's. I called my midwife's office to see if I could come in but I just got the answering machine. I know I can page her but I don't want her to think I'm in labor. I just left a message about what was going on. That was about 3 hours ago and I have not heard back yet.

I'm thinking I'll wait until tommorow and call back. I do have an appt. already scheduled for Thursday. I'm going to try to lay down and rest even though that may prove difficult as my DH left for work and I'm home with my 3 girls (they're 6, 4 & 2yrs). We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 PM

I would get checked if you're unsure, but to me it does sound like a lot of "normal" late pregnancy stuff. I've had the morning sickness feeling again and was told by my mw that often the uterus is putting a lot of extra pressure on your cervix which can cause that nauseous feeling in late preg. I agree with the pp that if you're being seen weekly, you probably don't have much to worry about. If something doesn't feel quite right though, you should listen to your body and put in a call.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM

When I had pre-e with my first I swelled like a ballon. my protien in my urine was 4+ the uric acid in my blood was really high, and my bp was skyrocketing

the swelling was recognizable because with normal swelling you can rub it out and it will go away for a while, with pre-e you rub and all it does it pit, and come back right away.

i'd also get it checked out there may be something else going on that's not pre-e that blood pressure seems really high, but the other symptoms seem like normal end of preg stuff
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM

I agree - pre-e is nothing to sit at home alone and think about! Get yourself checked out!!!!

Hoping all is well.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM

If you're blood pressure spiked that much in a few days, I would really page your midwife. It's up to her to decide if she wants you to wait until Thursday or to come in immediately. Please don't place your health in jeopardy for a misguided sense of decorum (possibly causing your mw to think you're in labor is not a reason to postpone calling back). Pre-e is nothing to joke about and a 50/40 point jump in blood pressure is not small!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I did page my MW this morning.

She didn't get my message from the office yesterday because she was with another mama delivering a baby. Right now the midwives are at the hospital with a mom in labor but they asked me to come in today at 3pm (my time it's almost 1pm now). They put me on bedrest for today until my appt and I have been resting since 9 this morning.

What worries me is that even with resting my bp is not going down. Last night my sister was worried about me so she came over to sit with me and brought a BP monitor. I've been checking it once an hour since last night and it's consistently been 166/99 or within a couple of points of that wether I'm resting or not. An hour ago I checked my BP after 3 hours of laying down on my left side and drinking vitamin water and it was 167/100.

My MW did say that pharmacy and home monitors can be off significantly but we did a sample test of my DH's and his BP was 124/75 right before I got my 167/100 reading so I don't think my home monitor is off by that much.

I am hoping it is just due to being sick and not something more serious. I am glad to be going in to be checked in a couple of hours. Thanks to everyone for their advice. Please be praying for me and my LO that all is well. I'm bringing a packed bag with me to the birth center just in case!

Cheri
Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Cheri,

I'm praying for you!! I've been thinking about you since you posted yesterday. I hope everything works out well for you and you are holding your sweet little baby soon.

Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Hoping all is well!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

I hope everything is going well with you! I really hope it's not pre-e!

One thing did occur to me, though. You said that you've been sick. . .have you been taking any cold medicine? They are notorious for raising blood pressure, so if you're sensitive to that, it might be the meds.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Good luck mama.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM

any update? I hope you're ok!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

User Tag List