Baby not moving much-should I call? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am sure this is normal, but I swear this guy is napping all the time. I can get him to move a bit, but no big punches/kicks/rolls. Some hiccups last night. I guess I just need some reassurance. I changed my mw appt from Thursday to tomorrow afternoon. Thanks!!
#2 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

They do slow down when they're almost "done." It's too cramped in there!

Try drinking something with lots of energy, like OJ (if the heartburn won't kill you), and laying down on your side for 1/2 hour. That usually wakes them up! If you don't feel anything then, you might give a precautionary call, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Progressive working mom to one Delightful Son, 1/07
#3 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 AM

My baby mostly just wiggles now. I think we're winding down and that's normal at this stage. Of course, follow your gut. If you feel something's off, call.
#4 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
DBZ

Drink some orange juice and eat something (sugary is good) and go lay down on your left side and see what happens. Hiccups don't count in kick counts because that's more of a reflex thing then actual movement. At this point in pregnancy, babies start running out of room so the quality of the movement changes some. Soft kicks, rolls, etc. count the same way as big ones. You aren't going to get so many big ones though.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 PM

My babe is not moving much at all either. (I have my own post going about this right now!) I am such a worrier though.

We are probably in the same boat, just less space to move around in. But I definitely understand your concern.
#6 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Hiccups don't count in kick counts because that's more of a reflex thing then actual movement. At this point in pregnancy, babies start running out of room so the quality of the movement changes some. Soft kicks, rolls, etc. count the same way as big ones. You aren't going to get so many big ones though.
:

From what I understand it's not the size of the movements that counts at this stage (because they don't have much room anymore!) but the number is still important - you still should be able to feel 10 movements /hr (or is it 2hrs?). 20-45 minute naps are normal.

My midwife says call if we have the impression they're moving less - it's usually just due to a position change but she says it's important to go in and have them checked out anyway!
#7 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM

I think I was told 10 movements in two hours. I am getting less movement at this point, but I think it's because it is more of a tight fit now
#8 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM

The confusing thing is you hear so many things. Yes, the baby slows down at the end bc they have absolutely no more room in there. You'll feel a little bit of movement but nothing like you would have felt before. Then you have nurses/doctors telling you if you feel less movements to come in bc there can be a number of reasons why your baby isn't moving around like it used to.

Honestly, I for one can't say not to worry and I also can't say WORRY! bc only a doctor would know what you should do. I would call them up and explain anyway, maybe you should get evaluated.

Good luck!
#9 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 PM

My opinion is that when dealing with a little life its always better to err on the side of caution and call.

If I were you (and I have been in your situation before) I would drink some OJ, or even eat some candy if oj hasn't made much difference, just any strong sugar, and then try to get 10 movements in an hour. If you can't I would call at that point. Best case you do and NST and everything is fine, just timing. Worst case, if something is "wrong" you catch it early and get things figured out.

Best of luck,
Maria
#10 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you mama's! I started guzzling water with cranberry juice in it (cause it tastes awful here), maybe I was a quart low, cause he is moving more now. And left a message with the midwife, just in case. The movements just seem so small-and he was all over the place over the weekend! Laying down and resting might be what I need more than anything-working full time sucks! Too much STRESS!!!
#11 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought it was 10 movements every 12 hours, minimum? Oh well; I always forget to count, anyway. And then baby makes up for a languid day by tap dancing all night... grrr. Glad your baby perked up, avasmomleigh! How long do you have to go with the working-full-time deal? I cannot imagine how you do it--this is my first baby, I'm not working at all and I'm still exhausted every day!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#12 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 PM

I am right there with you, Leigh. I finally called my mw, myself and she is having me come in tonight just for a look. But what I thought I would share, is that she said if the baby has dropped that will significantly decrease movement as a large part of them is immobilized. Though it doesn't feel like my LO has dropped.

I am glad he is moving more for you now...and I agree working full time right now is the pits!
#13 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I thought it was 10 movements every 12 hours, minimum? Oh well; I always forget to count, anyway. And then baby makes up for a languid day by tap dancing all night... grrr. Glad your baby perked up, avasmomleigh! How long do you have to go with the working-full-time deal? I cannot imagine how you do it--this is my first baby, I'm not working at all and I'm still exhausted every day!
The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin says that if you haven't felt 10 movements in 12 hours to call your HCP. However, it also states that if the movements have significantly decreased from your norm to also call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page