suddenly terrified - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a loooooong painful labor(48 hours) with ds that had me swearing I would never get pregnant ever again. Well here I am 39 weeks and had myself totally convinced I could handle another natural labor till now. I had some false labor sunday night (ctx 7 minutes apart for 90 minutes that never ended up going anywhere) They were extremely painful! Now Im terrified again. I was in tears after an hour sunday night. How am I going to handle possibly hours???

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
mtm

You can do this. Do you have a plan in place this time? Relaxing music? A focal point? We can help you brainstorm ideas to deal with the pain if you'd like.
#3 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM

I know how you feel. When I was going through my second labor, I started remembering how much it had hurt the first time and I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle it (even though I managed the first time).

But it never got as painful or overwhelming the second time around. And odds are that you also will have a shorter, easier labor this time. Not that it didn't hurt the second time - but it didn't last as long and the contractions never got as close together (I had nonstop contractions at the end of first stage during my first labor, they never got closer than 2 or 3 minutes with my second). The pushing stage was much faster too.

I'd concentrate on practicing relaxation/pain management techniques - I've really liked the book "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" by Susan McKutcheon.
#4 of 6 Old 03-12-2008, 04:01 PM

You can do it! I think it's totally normal to be feeling that right now, especially since we now know what to expect after our first babes. Good luck and I'm sending ELV your way!!:
#5 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 AM

Just remember to only think about one contraction at a time. You can always change your mind at any point, only think about what is coming immediately.
#6 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 AM

Yes to one contraction at a time. Also remember that with each contraction that is one you will never have again. That one is over and done with. Are you hbing, hosp birthing? Also every labor is different! Just because your last one was long and hard does not necessarily mean this one will be. You can do this mama please let us know if we can help brainstorm ideas with you.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page