Can labor really start any time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everybody. The babies are coming!

Mine seems to want to hang out. I am 41w3d today. I am working with midwives, but at a hospital with a birth center. If I go to 42 weeks I will be risked out of the small birth center we have.

I am just wondering if labor can really start without the conditions people talk about. I am 60% effaced and 1cm and have been for a couple weeks. My cervix is soft, but the baby isn't really putting a lot of pressure on it to make changes. Contractions are also kind of weak.

With all of this could I still go into labor tonight, tomorrow...ever?

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#2 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambom View Post
With all of this could I still go into labor tonight, tomorrow...ever?
Yes! With my first, I had no signs of impending labor. I was not dilated. Then my water broke out of the blue, and 9 1/2 hours after contractions started she arrived.

It's such a crazy thing. One minute you're not in labor, the next you are. It does happen! You will not be pregnant forever.
#3 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM

With my first and second, contractions just started out of the blue in the middle of the night. With my first, I had no signs of impending labor. I did have signs with my second, but I only realized them in retrospect. I don't know what my cervix was like with either baby, because I never had any vaginal exams.
#4 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by day-by-day View Post
Yes! With my first, I had no signs of impending labor. I was not dilated. Then my water broke out of the blue, and 9 1/2 hours after contractions started she arrived.

It's such a crazy thing. One minute you're not in labor, the next you are. It does happen! You will not be pregnant forever.
: Exactly that with my first birth. This time I had a bit more warning, maybe just because I could feel the warm-up cx's more strongly. But with ds I had an exam on Thursday and was high, firm and closed; early Sunday morning my water broke and he was born Sunday night.

Hang in there!! Do what you can to get things moving (EPO, sex, walking, squatting, nipple stimulation, etc etc), but s/he'll come when s/he's ready.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Oh yes, that can for SURE happen! And as far along as you are it probably will. Sending labor vibes...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 7 Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM

I'm glad you posted this, I'm not even at my due date yet, but had a dream last night that I never went into labor... I guess I was prepetually pregnant! LOL

It's nice to be reassured, even when I know I have 4 weeks before I need to start "worrying" about it...
#7 of 7 Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 AM

im soooo glad you posted this! im 39w6d (as of midnight, lol) and i feel TONS of braxton hicks, but nothing else... ugh! Thanks for reassuring me that it can just HAPPEN with no warning!

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page