Zoë Celeste's Wild Ride (birth story and pics) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zoë Celeste was born Friday, March 14 at 7:12 AM weighing in at 7lbs 13oz. Unexpected UC!

Thursday night was pretty rough. It was my second night of prodromal labor. My friend Eve likes to call it “warm up labor. I like to call it “pretend crap labor” LOL. Eve was also my doula for this labor. She helped me get through these two nights of warm up labor. Those contractions were so disappointing to me because in my head they weren’t doing a thing. If it weren’t for having a doula, I just might have gone into L&D and let them give me pitocin. I’m really glad I stuck it out though and I was mentally preparing myself for one more night of it when I went to bed Thursday night.

At about 3 am I woke up thinking about contractions. I thought one actually woke me up, but I figured I’d just go pee and go back to bed because it was probably just one of those annoying ones that were bugging me all night. Back in bed, I had another one and it was only 4 minutes after I woke up. Then I had another and started to let myself believe that I was really in labor, so I went and ate a bowl of chicken and wild rice soup to see if that would alter their pattern. It didn’t. I called my doula at 4ish. She suggested I take a shower and move around a bit and see what happens. I did and called her back a little bummed because after an hour of moving around and all the contractions were now slowing down to a good 5 minutes apart. All this time the contractions were only 30 seconds long. That seemed really short to me and I could still walk and talk through them, so I figured it would be a while before things got hot and heavy. I also decided that if this labor wasn’t really real, then I was going to the hospital anyway.

I woke up my kids and told them to get ready to go to the sitter’s. They were excited that today was going to be the day, but dang was my 11 year old slow to get moving. My babysitter got here at about 5:30. A couple of times, I had to kick them out of my way so I could waddle quickly down to the bathroom so I could throw up. By the way, chicken and rice soup looks like maggots when you see it again. I was getting really irritated that my kids were still here, so I called Eve to see where she was. I was toying with the idea of having my sitter take me to the hospital. I was thrilled to hear that she was just a few minutes away, so at around 6:15 am I kicked my family out. They were gone by 6:30 and I was grateful for a few moments of peace and quiet. It was kind of nice having it just be me and my labor. I was really glad that I didn’t feel the need to utilize them to get to the hospital.

Eve arrived minutes after my family left. I told her that I was ready to go. Eve asked me if I’d rather go in my van or her car. I told her, it was her decision, so she grabbed my stuff and piled it into her little Honda Civic. She had me get in the back and apologized for driving a stick LOL. I wasn’t thrilled about being in the back, but I wasn’t in the mood to object too much and I didn’t understand why she was apologizing for the stick. I was just happy to be getting this show on the road. It was a transition point for me. Labor was suddenly really real mentally and I was excited. I wasn’t looking forward to contractions in the car because I like to be standing through them and I knew I’d be more uncomfortable. I joked about the wild ride we were going on though. It reminded me of those Hollywood stories where you race to the hospital in labor and just barely make it. During the ride I worried that we’d get there and the midwife would tell me I was only 4 cm and that I’d have to deal with all the hospital’s fears of VBACing moms. A word of advice, if you need to travel in labor, an automatic is the better choice.

About halfway there (I live about 20 minutes away), I felt an urge to bear down and felt my water break. Since I was sort of sitting, I didn’t feel much of a huge gush, but that pop was unmistakable. I muttered, “I’m sorry,” to Eve and she said not to worry and I replied, “but my water broke.” I have no idea what she said after that or if she even replied. I did notice that we were flying by all these cars and saw that we were slightly over the recommended speed limit. I hoped we wouldn’t get into an accident. I was glad we were close at that point though.

For the rest of my contractions I used the “oh shit bar” (the one you grab when someone takes a corner to fast) to hold myself as upright as I could. Eve asked me if I was pushing. I told her I was trying not to and that I didn’t want to have the baby in her car. I was trying to breathe through them, ignoring the urge to push. Eve pulled up straight to the ER doors. I wasn’t sure what was happening or what I should do, but I started pulling down my pants because I was afraid to have the baby in my underwear. I asked Eve for help with my pants, but she ran inside. Then the baby’s head emerged followed by the rest of her. Eve came back out and I said, “baby” and pointed. She ran back inside. Everything that was happening to me felt so bizarre. I felt like I was in slow motion and was hardly aware of anything that was beyond the back seat where I was giving birth. The baby was between my legs and I was beginning to remember that it was cold outside. I was just starting to process that I should put the baby under my shirt. I also saw that the baby was a girl and said, “oh it’s a girl!” That’s when warm blankets started getting piled on us. I realized a nurse was standing right by me. She was holding my baby and her hands were covered in blood. I was shocked that she was willing to do that without wearing gloves. Someone said something about cutting the cord and I said no. They listened and helped me out of the car and onto the stretcher. I held the baby who was still attached, as we were transported to labor and delivery. I still wasn’t very aware of much going on outside of us.

Once up in L&D, I spotted the midwife and apologized to her for not making it in. Shortly after starting to see this group of midwives, I was told that VBACing moms are required to get an epidural or an epidural catheter put in place in order to keep an anesthesiologist in-house. When I heard that bs, I jokingly told the midwife that I could just hang out in the parking lot until the baby was crowning. I’m not really that defiant LOL. Oh well. At least I delivered the placenta up in L&D. I was bleeding quite a bit apparently, so the midwife suggested a shot of pitocin to help control that. She said that I was getting close to needing an IV, so I let them give me the shot. I also got a few stitches. I did stay at the hospital for two nights. I was itching to leave but I’m glad I stayed because with being a single mom, I would not have gotten any rest at home.

Never in a million years would I have ever expected something like this to happen to me. I didn’t think I’d labor that quickly and I wasn’t in excruciating pain. Mind you, I only have a pain med free induced birth with AROM to compare too. It blows my mind that this is my birth story. I don’t regret a single thing that happened and don’t wish to change a single detail.

My little girl is so sweet and calm. She is such a blessing for our family.

Nurses arrive with warm blankets

Me and Zoë

Zoë

Zoë nursing

Birth necklace that didn't make it on for birth and a close up

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#2 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 AM

She's beautiful mama. I'm glad you got your intervention-free birth, even if it wasn't quite what you had in mind!
#3 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 AM

Wow, what an amazing story!!
Beautiful baby!
I love the birth necklace too!
Congratulations!!!!!!

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#4 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 AM

Congratulations!!!
#5 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM

WOW!!!! Yeah for Zoe! Welcome!
#6 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Congrats, she is beautiful!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Wow -- what a great, exciting story! And she is beautiful!!

Reading your story reminded me of how much I loved the "Oh shit bar" on the way to the hospital. I believe I told my husband I was going to rip it off and take it in with me to deliver.

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08
#8 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 PM

Congratulations!!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#9 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Congratulations! She's perfect! And you're so pretty, too!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#10 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 PM

That's a wonderful birth story! Enjoy your babymoon!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#11 of 18 Old 03-23-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner'smama View Post
Wow -- what a great, exciting story! And she is beautiful!!

Reading your story reminded me of how much I loved the "Oh shit bar" on the way to the hospital. I believe I told my husband I was going to rip it off and take it in with me to deliver.
I was really glad that it didn't come off. I wonder what it would take to get one off . I think I'll call it the labor bar from now on.

#12 of 18 Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 AM

CONGRATS!

I am so happy for you! Such a sweet face.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#13 of 18 Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Great birth story!! Congrats on your vbac. Zoe is so beautiful. I love her wild hair!!
#14 of 18 Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM

Congrats!!! What a crazy story! She's gorgeous! Welcome little Zoe!
#15 of 18 Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Popping in from the May DDC to check on all you mommas. What a beautiful story and a gorgeous little girl!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#16 of 18 Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 AM

What an awesome story! She is beautiful! Congrats on your VBAC, UC, and a beautiful and healthy babe!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#17 of 18 Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wild! Congratulations mama!
#18 of 18 Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
DBZ

Thanks everyone!

I went to the pediatrician for the 2 week checkup today and the doc obviously read the hospital info, because she came in and said, "You don't do anything the normal way, do you?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page