Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what does it feel like? I'm a wimp.
#2 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Nt in your DDC, but I thought I'd give my experience. I've heard it is painless, or some women just feel cramping, bt mine was more painfull than most of my contractions. It was crampy, like a contraction, but with a more localized pain. This isn't always the case, but it was for me. I bled afterward and m water broke 8 hours later.
#3 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Mine was pretty much painless. I had it Monday.

Still pregnant, though.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#4 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM

I had it done twice. For me it was worse than menstrual cramps but not as bad as contractions although it eventually resulted in contractions; prodromal the first time and the real thing the second time (in conjunction with castor oil).
#5 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM

I was crawling off the table both times I had my membranes swept. NOT FUN, IMO.

But it DID work, the 2nd time around.
#6 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM

Not in your DDC...

I wanted to post my experience with this. I was 2 cm dialated and begged for her to do it, and I had heard mixed reviews on it. My hair dresser had it done with both children, didn't feel a thing, and had babies with in 12 hours. I went in, had it done, and almost climbed OFF the table b/c it hurt so badly. I spotted, and cramped afterwards, and did NOT deliver her. I would have it done again tho, b/c the chances of it working are pretty good. Good luck!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM

I've had 2 done and an additional attempt (cervix was too posterior the first time... the midwife couldn't reach) whether it hurts or not is very dependent on the skills of your care provider and whether you're really stretchy and open or not.

The 1st real membrane sweep I had done was done my my very experienced midwife and while it wasn't painless, I wouldn't say that it hurt... It's a bit of a weird feeling. It kinda zings. The 2nd time I had it done, it was the student midwife (yesterday) and while I was more open and stretchy, she's not nearly as gentle as my regular midwife and it more than zinged! I would say that one hurt. If I have another one done, I'll have my regular midwife do it. It's not that I dont' think learning is important, I just would rather not have ALL the learning done on me!

You definately get a bit of a jolt when they find your cervix and then you'll feel some odd sensations. So far it hasn't sent me into labour yet. It's supposed to give you a good dose of oxytocin when they do it and my midwives also smear some evening primrose oil on the cervix (which is a prostaglandin) which is supposed to help too...
#8 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Not in your DDC...

I had it done twice with ds. Both times it was pretty uncomfortable. ds was very low and I was beginning to dilate. I felt crampy afterwards, and bloody show but no baby. A week later I was 2-3 cm, sweep was much more uncomfortable than the first (though I must say still tolerable and nothing like what was to come), we actually heard a pop noise. I felt kind of ill and weak afterwards and decided to crawl into bed for an early night and within an hour had my first contraction. Baby was born 8 hours later. So much for my early night!!

A & A treehugger.gif (09-02), DS - Rain Wildcoolshine.gif (09-05) , DD - Noa Sage goldfish.gif (06-08) & DS - Silas Blaze heartbeat.gif (02-11)   homebirth.jpg  winner.jpg
#9 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Also not in DDC....

I had mine done at 41 weeks with my son (9 years ago). I didn't hurt but it made me feel really hot. It was like a major hotflash-also made me feel like I was going to vomit! Very similar to when I had my uterus measured for IUD insertion (if anyone has had that done.)

You can make it-don't worry!

Mama to one boy 12/98, one girl 5/08 and a new addition!!!! 2/23/11 Vincent Michael joy.gif

#10 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Popping in from May... I had it done twice, it hurt a LOT and didn't work. That said I'd probably do it again as the pain is short lived and hey, it might work!
#11 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 05:47 PM

I've had it done with both my previous pregnancies, and honestly, to me it felt hardly different from a cervical check. Maybe I was lucky.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#12 of 15 Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Popping in from September...

When I had it done, it hurt quite a bit. Had no contractions for the next 11 hours. Then I hit the wall of active labor and massive vomiting followed by a 41-hour labor. I would never do it again.

From what I have read, there are a minority of women who have it done and then go on to have *really* painful labors like mine. Good luck if you try it!

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#13 of 15 Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 AM

She swept mine twice last week, and the only thing that hurt about them was her knuckles against my perineum. The actual sweeping didn't hurt at all.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#14 of 15 Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Also not in your DDC -

It only works if your body is already ready (like any other induction method). Keep in mind that it's possible to accidentally rupture membranes during a membrane sweep - putting you on their timeline for delivery. I had my membranes swept last time. It didn't work. Knowing what I now know, I don't plan on letting anyone do it in the future, either.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#15 of 15 Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Mine had me in tears and I came up off the table when she did it. It was horribly painful for me and I have a HIGH tolerance for pain, so I think she was extra, extra rough and it probably isn't normally so bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page