Membrane sweep? 41 Week Appt. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I need help! I have my 41 week appointment with my midwife tomorrow and I'm trying to decide on whether to have the membrane sweep done or not. I definitely would not do it unless I was favorably dilated and effaced. Last week I was barely dilated and 70% effaced. I really want to avoid medical induction. I have been walking a lot and we have tried sex and nipple stimulation. These methods have caused contractions but they always go away. I am 99% sure my due date is accurate, I was charting my temps. and using ovulation prediction kits. Actually, according to my calculations I was 41 weeks today...the midwife has me due a day later. Any advice would be so helpful!!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
DBZ

Well it won't do anything unless you are really ready. I've heard that people who have their membranes swept and go into labor because of it are probably within 24-48 hours of going anyway.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#3 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 AM

If it were me I would do it....its still better than being induced chemically.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#4 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM

I don't know if it's any indication for what would happen if you had it done, but I was at 3cm and 80% effaced for weeks when I had mine swept at 39w4d and my water started leaking and I was at 4cm on my due date. I might have gone on my own anyway since it took 3 days, but I think I'm glad I did it since my son ended up being so large (over 10lbs). Some women say it hurts and others don't, but the MW who did mine was so rough, I literally came a foot off the table!
#5 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 01:42 PM

I've had mine done twice so far. It's not a particularly pleasant experience and certainly your care provider makes a difference (the student midwife is not nearly as gentle as my real midwife for example) My midwife thinks it helps and I really trust her. She has a lot of experience and is pretty non-interventionist.

I'm 41 wks today and am very much wanting to avoid chemical induction.
#6 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
ltk

I can only share my story. I was about 40 wks 5 days, contracting mildly and just felt done. I let my midwife strip my membranes. I was not even dilated to 1 when she did it, but was soft. I went into labor about 9 hours later. delivered 21 hours after it started.

Was my body ready? Sort of? I got stuck at 8cm and needed pitocin to keep the labor progressing, mostly due to exhaustion.

I am considering it again, but I say you know your body...and you are 1 week over due, so it could work out great. I would also think about how you labor in general (if this isn't your first)......good luck! hope you meet your baby soon. I think the emotional side weighs quite a bit here!
#7 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM

I am unsure as to my due date, but am thinking about this as well. I was chemically induced with my first and do not want to live though that again.... merrr...

:
#8 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM

I am unsure as to my due date, but am thinking about this as well. I was chemically induced with my first and do not want to live though that again.... merrr...

:
#9 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I'm back from my appt. and I had her do the sweep. They are really pushing for medical induction so I decided I would try this and see what happens. All is well with baby but I have to go back on Monday for more testing. After that I am basically going to be forced to schedule medical induction. I hope it works!!
#10 of 13 Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Hi! Not in your due date club, but saw this in new posts. With my second and third children, I had my membranes sweeped, both time I was in labor within half an hour. However, two of my SIL's had it done and never went into labor.:

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#11 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
Well...I'm back from my appt. and I had her do the sweep. They are really pushing for medical induction so I decided I would try this and see what happens. All is well with baby but I have to go back on Monday for more testing. After that I am basically going to be forced to schedule medical induction. I hope it works!!
Not in your DDC, but they can't *force* you to be induced. They can strongly recommend it based on whatever their protocol is, but they can't force you. For instance, what if your car breaks down the morning the induction is scheduled for? Or what if you just say, "No thanks, I'd like to wait a few more days." It can feel like they are forcing you (BTDT), but you CAN say no.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#12 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. It is sad that the medical system has come to this. I am not even "late" yet I am feeling pressured. I am not going to let them force me into anything...it's just so hard when you are there at the dr. office in their environment and they are saying things like "there's a slightly higher chance of stillbirth".
#13 of 13 Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's amazingly difficult. I ended up with a primary c/s for no really good medical reason because of pressure like this. Go to PubMed and do the research yourself if you have the stomach for it at this point. Go to them armed with information. Insist that they take your Bishop's score before proceeding with an induction (if that's the way they want to go). Here's a link that tells you a little about it: http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/preg...icles/173.html

However, at the end of the article, it mentions cytotec or misoprostol to soften the cervix. Run FAR and FAST if these are mentioned - they are the same and are not approved by the FDA for use in labor though some hospitals use them routinely for induction. The are actually a drug created to treat ulcers and the package insert even says it's not approved for use in pregnant women.

You are in my thoughts - hang in there, mama!!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page