stupid baby questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just when you finally are finished with all the stupid pregnancy comments, people have to start in with the stupid baby questions.
The most annoying one is "how is the baby sleeping?" or "is the baby sleeping through the night?"
No, my 2 week old is not sleeping through the night and I would be very worried if she was. DS woke up every hour and a half for the better part of 2 years. UG.
Why are people so obsessed with babies sleeping through the night? It is sooooo annoying! :
#2 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 PM

I hear ya. I was talking to my grandma today, and she asked why the baby was sleeping on me and not in the bed. Well, because she's not even two weeks old, and I just love to cuddle with her! lol And yeah, the sleeping through the night comments get old. My 3YO dd isn't even sleeping through yet, she always comes and joins us in our bed somewhere between midnight and 3 a.m. Which means we should probably upgrade to a king size bed, since it's getting kinda crowded in there. But I digress...
#3 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 04:39 PM

ah.. I understand how it gets under your skin but people are trying to be nice... I have to keep telling my self this, again and again, and again!

It is hard, but at lest they are talking to you. I hate when I am on the subway or train or in the mall and I do not know anyone, and no one will talk with me If it is people you know a little better then not why not try and tell them how nb work and how you would be worried if they were sleeping though the night, (yes it is wonderful when they do, but that will not be sometime). Give them ideas of non-stupid things to ask/ talk about.

I hope the little one is sleeping well... and eat, poohing, all the wonderful nb things babies do!
#4 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids2love View Post
I hear ya. I was talking to my grandma today, and she asked why the baby was sleeping on me and not in the bed. Well, because she's not even two weeks old, and I just love to cuddle with her! lol And yeah, the sleeping through the night comments get old. My 3YO dd isn't even sleeping through yet, she always comes and joins us in our bed somewhere between midnight and 3 a.m. Which means we should probably upgrade to a king size bed, since it's getting kinda crowded in there. But I digress...
Don't I get where you're coming from! Our 3 yr old is in a twin that is shoved up against our queen to get us more space! We have a bedrail between the 2 beds but at some point it gets hopped over!
#5 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM

LOL Beth, yeah... DD actually has a twin bed in her brothers' room, where she goes to sleep every night. She just hasn't figured out the "this is where you STAY" part. Ah well, one of these days... For now, we took one of the sides off our crib and pushed it up against our bed, sort of as an extension for the baby...
#6 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 09:34 PM

It is totally annoying!

My favorite response is "She sleeps like a baby!". Well, because babies are supposed to wake up frequently and she does. . so you're totally telling the truth You don't need to explain. . they'll just assume whatever it is they assume and move on to the next topic.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#7 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 PM
DBZ

I tell people that my baby is sleeping through the night as well as a 2 week old should.

What's really ticking me off are the big family comments. People have actually asked me if I am going to get my tubes tied. Like it's their business? Oh and I am REALLY SICK AND TIRED of people suggesting my 13 year old might be a "built in baby sitter" or "a lot of help". Even if my DD was neurotypical, I wouldn't be taking advantage of her like that.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#8 of 10 Old 03-30-2008, 11:52 PM

I hate it when people ask me if the baby is "good." How on earth can a baby be bad???
#9 of 10 Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yep. Although I was getting the 'sleep through the night' comments since Rowan was ONE week old! Our landlord, who bizarrely enough has two children, has asked several times in increasingly pitying/disparaging tones, as if she's missed some vital developmental milestone. He's also offered his opinion on cosleeping.... nice guy really, but light years away from us parenting-philosophy-wise.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#10 of 10 Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM

I just assumed when people ask how the baby's sleeping they mean like on the extremely variable normal baby sleep scale... On days when he gave me at least one 2-3hr stretch in the night I say Great! On days when he nursed like every 30 minutes for a 4 hour stretch in the night I say We had a difficult night...

I don't dare tell some people that not only does he sleep IN our bed but he literally sleeps snuggled up to my boob like ALL NIGHT I love it but I know many (including MIL) would disapprove She thinks we should give him 1. formula to stuff him so he sleeps longer 2. a pacifier so he doesn't need to be in our arms and 3. his own bed "or he'll never leave your bed" I DIGRESS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page